I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Next Build Wish List
Posted by: Jim Scott (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 01, 2012 02:52PM

Hello and Happy New Year,

Getting ready to start my fourth build. The kids got me a gift certificate from one of the sponsors on the left for Christmas. I am looking for support on starting off correctly. I live and fish in Southwest Florida for Snook, Redfish & Trout on inshore grassflats in Charlotte Harbor and Lemon Bay. i am looking for the best setup for an inshore slam. I either throw gulp plastics on jig heads or freeline live bait. What blank would you guys suggest, graphite or glass, length?. Reel will be a Penn 4000 with 20# braid. Reading a lot about Kigan guides they look interesting. Also wanting to do custom handlework with eva or cork and snakeskin inlay. All components must be suitable for salt water and corrosion proof. I am in the construction industry so i don't need to tell you that budget is everything. Also does anyone know where i can get a checkerboard cork and ring jigs cheap?

Thank you in advance for your input.
I read this forum everyday and can't wait to see whats new.
Its been stated here before but i must say it again, its absolutly great the way you veteran builders are so helpful to us newbies.

J. Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Next Build Wish List
Posted by: Hydra Fishing, LLC (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 01, 2012 03:05PM

Jim -

On our house brand finished rods we will often use the Hydra Ng P944 and P945. This builds out at 7'10" and casts a mile. These blanks aren't the cheapest available, but they offer 100% carbon construction and made in the USA.

We just built up a set using Kigan SCGWC25, SCGWC16, SCGWC8 and then a CCGWC6 and 5 CCGWC4s and a MZCTWC4 top. These were going to be paired up with Penn Battles. This is their tournament rig for artificials but works great on live bait also. We delivered and fished them this past Wednesday and stroked about 20 reds in 3 hours in the 27" - 30" range. That's a nice way to break in some rods!

Hope it helps. Good luck on your project!

Alex

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Online: [www.hydrafishing.com]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Email: info@hydrafishing.com

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dsl.crchtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 01, 2012 08:02PM

I bought my cork ring jig on @#$%& for about 40 bucks. If you don't want to buy one, I'll make you some checkers and send them to you. I'd give Kevin over at Get Bit a call for your Rod selection, he's in the area and guides down there. For that reel, you may want to try the Batson XP 843. Great blank to handle live baits and gulps.

Date: January 01, 2012 08:22PM

Thank you Alex and Brandon for the Feedback.

Alex, I was also thinking that a 8' rod along with a guide set up you suggest would mean longer casts to get to wary fish. Does that extra foot in rod lenght make that much of a difference in casting distance? is a two piece rod an option since i drive a jeep and i can't hardly fit the dog in there let alone a 8' stick.

Brandon, I may take you up since my preliminary design of the grips is a simple checker board bordering a rattlesnake inlay. Of course things may change.

I also have in mind a double foot guide for the stripper just to add a decoritive wrap further up the rod. I don't fish tournaments so i am not concerned about overall weight as long as it doesn't hurt performance, any thougths? I want something that is absolutly beautiful that i can convince my friends to let me build rods for them on their dime.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 01, 2012 09:18PM

I just reduced teh cost of my checkerboard jig, look here (instructions on the bottom of the link) [northeastrodbuilders.com] <<

Date: January 01, 2012 09:36PM

Thats exactly what i was looking for Billy, I will place an order soon for that.
On a side note, since you are the "Grip Guru", i was thinking of doing a snakeskin inlay in the grip and epoxy it so it is almost level with the rest of the cork / eva. do you see a problem with that idea. i know the epoxy would scratch but i thought if i left it recessed a little it would be ok. Don't want a split grip, would turn down the handle material for the inlay. Sound ok?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 01, 2012 09:54PM

Sounds like you have to be VERY careful when you turn the grips. I would finish the Snakeskin on a short section of grip, then glue up the rest of the grip around it, and sand it on my lathe after I instal it on the rod. I would masking tape off teh skaneskin when I sanded the grip down, an dwhen it was close I would peel off teh tape and CAREFULLY hand sand the grip to be flush with the snakeskin. I hand sand every rod I build, where the grip meets the butt cap and reel seat so I know I could to it w/o scratching. It's not the easiest thing to do because one mistake and you will scratch the epoxy. As a sidenote, I placed an order and will be stocking Snakeskins by the end of the week, pics will be up on the site of the actual skins I get.

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2012 03:55AM

Jim, I recently built rods on the Batson xp843 and and the ip844 both are great for doing what you want to do. Going with the ip would save you a few bucks. If you get a chance you should run up to oviedo and stop in to get bit and mudhole. Then you can handle tons of blanks and look at different components. Takes some of the guess work out of it when you can see and feel what you're working with before you buy it.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster