I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Is my scale Broke?
Posted by: Bob Hallowell (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 23, 2011 05:16PM

I have been going back doing searches and keep reading that the fuji TFST are nice and light and weigh less than all other tips beside the recoil. I have read several places that the TSFT's weigh around .180-.200g for a 5.5 ring., .200g for a 6 ring. Then I read reports of the recoil small tips weighing .190g. I had a rod I built a few years ago with a recoil that was twisting and needed epoxied back on so I popped it off and weighed it at .210g.

Why I ask is I hate the looks of the recoil tips but I kept reading that the fuji's TFST tips would reduce performance so I have been going with the recoils on my last couple builds. Some people said they could feel the fuji's slowing the response down. How could this be as they weigh very close to the same?

Am I wrong about the weight of the TFST's? I don't have any to weigh at the moment.. IS there something I am missing.

Thanks,
Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is my scale Broke?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 23, 2011 05:27PM

I think you need to look at the practical difference, rather than just the difference. More weight, particularly on or near the tip, will indeed slow down the speed of the rod. But how much depends on how much weight we're talking. A miniscule difference has a miniscule effect.

Date: December 23, 2011 05:31PM

I do agree but if my measurement was correct, and everyone else were correct then there really isn't that much difference if any in weight.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 23, 2011 05:55PM

You said, "I had a rod I built a few years ago with a recoil that was twisting and needed epoxied back on so I popped it off and weighed it at .210g".

Could the small difference in weight be due to some epoxy still left inside the recoil tip after you removed it?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 23, 2011 06:18PM

Your Text: "but I kept reading that the fuji's TFST tips would reduce performance"

What kind of a rod are you referencing - blank, technique, rest of guides - what performance reductions?

Where are you reading that type of information?

I would think the "sensitivity" of the person putting that text in print would surpass the talents of custom builders who use this forum..

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2011 06:28PM

Bob,
I think that all of the "weight watchers" need to take a day off and go fishing.

Forget about a grain here and there. Rather, do the best job that you can with the materials that order for your rods and enjoy the results of your wonderful work.

Catch a big one.

Roger

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 23, 2011 08:07PM

Roger, I'm with you on this one! This weight thing appears to be going beyond practical and over the top!

Date: December 24, 2011 12:15AM

Russ,
It very well could have some epoxy in it but not much. When I built this rod I used the tip top glue stick things.

Bill,
Mostly it was reading pages of searches from the last 5 years on this site. I was reading on mostly mid to lighter weight fly rods which is mostly what I build.

thanks,
Bob

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 24, 2011 09:02AM

Bob, IMHO I'd stick with the hot melt glue stick. Even more so in light of what you are building. Tips break and a bic lighter and a few spare ones in the tackle box will save the day. Five minute epoxy makes them hard to remove. It can be done safely on heavy salt water rods. I wouldn't count on it on a fly rod and it wouldn't be nice to have to cut the end of the rod every time a tip got damaged.

The only time I have the tips move is if they are left in a hot car and the tip is pressing against something. It is a two second fix. If you still feel the need for something stronger look at the hot melt glue for archery.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 24, 2011 09:29AM

Fly rod disqualifies my responses - most of the "buzz" on this forum about sensitivity and weight are related to fast action bait casting rods with tip tube sizes ranging from 4.5 to 7.0 with 5.0 or smaller rings. The responsiveness of rods are different and tip size and weight is only one factor. Comments from someone who builds flip sticks for bass fishermen on fish extraction blanks simply do not apply to your post. Common sense says to keep the weight on the tip to a minimum - I would like to meet the gentleman who says he can detect the in hand the weigh differences you note.

Thanks for the topic.

Date: December 24, 2011 10:58AM

I did notice the Recoil tip I removed and weighed had a dimple on the side instead of the center, The tip is about 3-4 years old maybe it is the stainless version. I am going to ordered both and weigh them and also try them on the same rod.

Thanks,
Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster