I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank Help
Posted by: Brett Hinson (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2011 05:01PM

I am looking for a blank for Speckled Trout . It needs to be 9' one pc. , spinning.. Will be throwing grubs and Mirror lures from the surf. It needs to be lite.
Line 6 to 12, using a Mitchel 300.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Help
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2011 05:24PM

Brett,
Check out the Batson - steel head blanks.

[www.batsonenterprises.com]

It is a tougher issue to find a one piece blank.

But if you want a one piece blank, just take a two piece blank and glue it together before building it.

A 9 foot one piece blank, is really likely to get damaged during transport. Are you sure that you couldn't use a 2 piece blank?

With todays blanks there is little to no difference in the rod, whether it is a one or two piece blank.

Take care
REW

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 15, 2011 05:27PM

Extending a Hot Shot 8 ' may help [www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 15, 2011 06:51PM

I'll be difficult:) I have caught plenty of trout and I love hot shot rods. IMHO the hot shot rods are too fast and too powerful for weakfish. I have also used mitchells (but only against my will).

I will wager that a 8' popping blank with a new 2500 reel loaded with 300 yards of braid will out cast and out fish your nine foot rod and mitchell loaded with 10 pound mono. If you fish more of the mirrolures, and you are after gator trout in the double digit range, consider a slower mag-bass or crankbait blank.

It can be hard to change a proven system but sometimes change is good. In this case I think you will like it. Ditto on a 2pc blank.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2011 06:55PM

I would recommend purchasing the least expensive 9'0", 8wt, 2-piece blank you can find (e.g. Forecast F908-2). Trim 3" off both the butt and tip sections. Build and enjoy.

Date: December 15, 2011 07:35PM

The rod is for a customer. I tried to talk him into a shorter rod. Insisted on a one pc. ,9' rod. Will leave it at the coast.
Want use braid and dosnt want micro guides. He saw someone with a rod like this and wanted one. Said it was custom.

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2011 08:25PM

Janns netcraft has a 9ft two piece heavy power m-f action. I built one for a friend and have used it several times for trout and snook and it performs very well, especially for the price. I'd have to look again but I believe its rated 10-17. Ditto on the opinion that a nine foot one piece would be a challenge to transport.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posted by: keith corwin (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: December 15, 2011 08:54PM

I built a flats rod out of a three piece 7 weight fly rod blank . Did just what Jim suggested, cut three inches off the tip and butt, put a US reel on it (ON sale now at Cabela"s) with 10 lb. braid and minama guides. It really reaches out there to the tailing bone fish. I bought the blank from one of our sponsors on sale for $36.00.

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2011 10:56PM

I like to fish on the bank with artificials using long spinning rods built by me on fly blanks(9' +extension).I was catching many big trout(5 lb.-10lb.),40 inch red fish, with one rod built on ALL STAR AUSTIN fly blank 9' w10+extension using braid (4 lb.-10lb.)+fluorocarbon leader(6 lb.-15 lb.) and DAIWA WHISKER SS TOURNAMENT 1300 reel.
To fish with MIRRO LURE i have using one fly rod G.LOOMIS IMX 9' W12/13 change by me in spinning rod.
You don't need one piece 9'-10' blank,because the same service give you one 2-4 piece blank the same lenght.

Jean Scurtu
Houston,Tx.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 17, 2011 11:50PM

Try looking at Batsons surf blanks maybe the light ones are light enough

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 18, 2011 12:47PM

I decided to extend a 8' blank. The customer dosnt want to pay that much.
I would like to learn more about using a fly rod blank for a spinning rod. I have never built a fly rod.
How do you get line size and lure weights ? What is weight? Like 10 weight.
Thanks for all the help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster