I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

test cast off target
Posted by: dennis adamczyk (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 06:52PM

Here's a question for you rod builders. I'm a new rod builder, working on my fifth rod. I'm happy with my first four rods. But with my fifth rod something different happened. After mounting the handle and grip I temporarily located the guides, did a static test, everything looked fine. So I went out and did a test cast. This is where I ran into a problem. When casting, the casting plug is going left of my target. (I aim casting right handed). I assume this has To do with the guide location, or am I wrong?
I used a 7'10" MHX casting blank model #MB941-MHX. All Double foot guides, 10 guides,#12-#6.
I didn't have the #6 tip (which I ordered). so I mounted a spare tip, which is smaller than a #6, looks like a #5. I was wondering if the line may be hanging up to on the smaller tip. Causing the casting plug to cast left of target.
I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem.

thanks, dennis

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: test cast off target
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 14, 2011 07:06PM

Generally, the lure will go where you throw it. The lure travels in the same direction that the tiptop is moving at the moment of release.

If the line is hanging on anything, you should feel it. My guess is that you're either just not used to this particular blank yet, or the rod has a very bad curvature that you've place off to one side of the casting plane.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 07:11PM

Why all double foot guides ??? Less weight with single foot and forhan wrap less thread less finish less weight - Better performance

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 07:47PM

Dennis,
Now, I'm not saying this is what the problem is but it's something to consider. I had a rod that had always cast just perfect for me. Ole "Dead Eye". One day, it started casting to the left of my target. I couldn't figure it out. My buddy asked me why my tip looked funny. I checked it, and it had come loose enough to rotate on the blank. It was turned about 45 degrees off from what it should have been. I fixed it right there in the boat, and, voila, problem solved. It wasn't so loose as to throw the tip but just enough to let it turn a little. I have no scientific evidence to say this is definitely the problem and fix, just that it worked for me on this day. Won't hurt to check.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 07:59PM

I have always read to use the same size top or a larger one --- but I have never herd to use a smaller top ????

Did you build on the spine or the straightest access I take it this is a Casting with guides on top

perhaps this is one of there blanks -- that fell though the cracks -- was not in the oven long enough ???
I have read some posts on some weird blanks MudHole 's blanks have a good rep I would recamend them to any one Good quality

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2011 08:07PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.92.18.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 08:28PM

Ever heard the old saying, "Sometimes, it's the Indian not the arrow"?

Try releasing the lure a little quicker, that'll solve your issue.

Date: December 14, 2011 09:16PM

55 years of fishing. I know how to cast. but I do not know all about rod building. that's why I posted this question

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.metropcs.net.141.174.in-addr.arpa)
Date: December 14, 2011 10:10PM

I wouldn't think the size of the tip would be an issue here. I'm assuming you're not casting real heavy line and a 5mm ring is plenty big enough. I cast 30 lb braid through 3mm rings with no problems. As noted it could be your tip twisted or a casting issue. Heck, I hit my car with an errant cast while test casting the other day.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posted by: Milt deReyna (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2011 10:12PM

Bill's question is applicable. You say you're a beginner, which is fine. You don't say if you placed the guides in proper relation to the spine, or if you went with the straightest axis, or if you bothered with any of that. A bit more info, please.

Date: December 14, 2011 11:43PM

Since it's a casting rod, I place the guides 180°or opposite the spine. I checked and rechecked several times When checking for the spine to make sure I got it right. Since I'm new to rod building, I usually check and double check everything so I'm not sorry later. I'm big on "measuring it twice and cutting it once"

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 11:59PM

Just a theory...
You are right-handed, and cast side-armed. The blank that you built has a faster action and maybe more power than other rods that you have used. this is causing the lure to go left of the target. Once you get used to the new rod, all will be well. The guides have very little effect on the trajectory of the lure (unless they are completely out of whack...)

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2011 12:25AM

Dennis,
I am guessing that the rod is just fine.
I am also guessing the the guide placement, size and position is also right.

I am further guessing that the rod is using a different blank than you have ever used before and is resulting in a different lure placement for the same cast as you usually do.

For the moment, assume that the rod is perfect, and change your casting technique slightly so that the lure ends up where you want it to be.

I suspect that you will be just fine and that the rod is also just fine.

Good luck
REW

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2011 12:26AM

FWIW, I am primarily a fly-fisherman (although I do spin fish frequently and bait-cast occassionally). I have an old, 8'6", 6wt. bamboo rod that is very un-straight, in several different directions. I find that I can cast extremely accurately with it, once I get re-acquainted to its idiosycracies. It is heavier, slower, and 6 inches longer than my favorite fly rod, a modern, graphite 4wt; so, it takes some getting used to, but not all that much, really.
Quite frankly, spine doesn't really matter. Building on the straightest axis is more important, and even that isn't such a big deal, as my old, multi axis, multi spine bamboo rod proves.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: December 15, 2011 06:29AM

I have seen something similar with people trying to cast one of my rods with all micro guides. When I first started using them, I did have to learn a new release point because the rod was coming through to casting position quicker causing the lure to go left. It may be similar with your rod, it may be enough different from other rods you have used and just need to learn the proper release point for the lure being used.

Date: December 15, 2011 08:23PM

thanks all for your input. I'll finish the rod this weekend, but have to wait till spring to try it out.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2011 12:22AM

Dennis,
It sounds like you now have a good excuse for a fishing trip to the gulf coast to test out this rod in the 70 degree gulf waters or backwaters.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster