I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Label Maker, Which One?
Posted by: Jeff Haley (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 06:50PM

I'm wanting to purchase a label maker and would like to know which one I should get?
I know there has to be a few guys that use them here and know what works and what doesn't
Any info you all have would be a big help.
Thank you,
Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Label Maker, Which One?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 07:13PM

decal Connection They will make any thing you want And very good service

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 14, 2011 08:08PM

Do a search on the various products from "Brother" and see what turns up. I know they've been discussed here.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 09:50PM

I have used the Brothers, and you can do OK with them, but I'd just call Decal Connection. I have two Brother's in the shop and use them to label parts bins and such - but they can't hold a candle to Decal Connection.

Marc

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2011 10:14PM

Marc Morrone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have used the Brothers, and you can do OK with
> them, but I'd just call Decal Connection. I have
> two Brother's in the shop and use them to label
> parts bins and such - but they can't hold a candle
> to Decal Connection.
>
> Marc

Yep ... what he said.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2011 12:26AM

Jeff,
Just to be sure, before any recomendations are made, what exactly do you want to use the label maker for?

Do you want to put labels on your tools. Do you want to put a label on the door of your shop?

Where do you want the labels to be applied and what do you want the labels made from?

Take care
Roger

Date: December 15, 2011 12:34AM

Hi Roger,

I want to apply them with the customers name and specs on the fishing rods..

I just thought it would be more cost afficted to print them myself sence they all will be different..

I'm not able to charge them enought to weave there name in there rods so I have just been doing it for my good friends for "0" $$$$

I would like to hear what you thing would work the best for me and my buddys I wrap for..

Thank you and everone else for there input...

I'm glad I found this great site and it's builders!

Jeff Haley

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: December 15, 2011 06:21AM

With Decal Connection, they will make the decal however you want it and get it to you very quickly. Doing something different for each rod for specs and such is not a problem. I use to use the P Touch label maker, but with it being overall thicker, it was harder to get the decal to stay on smaller blanks for me. The newer type peel and stick decals from DC work really well.

Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 15, 2011 07:58AM

Jeff,

I use a P Touch label maker for my rods to do exactly what you want - personalized with names, rod specs, etc: It works OK. I did not want to get into ordering one decal at a time, and an extra in case I messed up the application.

I put the label on, and wrap the ends with thread,and put finish on label and thread. This hides the vertical edges. You can see the horizontal edges of the label. I have not figured out how to hide them.

My label maker hooks up to the USB port on my computer. Brother has a PC program that allows you to create labels on the PC and just print them on the label maker.
The program supports many fonts, and I have even put a logo on. The software is free if you have one of their label makers.

Brother did not develop a Windows 7 driver for my model label maker, so I have a laptop that I keep alive with Win XP just for printing labels.

I mainly use the white on clear, but also have black on clear for white and lighter color rods. I was only able to find these tapes on line. None of the office stores carried them.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Bert Nagy

Posted by: Thomas Brown (---.usace.army.mil)
Date: December 15, 2011 08:31AM

I do exactly what Bert does. Several coats of CP helps to hide the edges. Cason's CP seems to be the best I have used for this. One Idea I have not tried yet, the Brother program gives you the option to put a border around the ouside of the decal. If you cut the decal at the border, the edges may not show as bad

Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 15, 2011 08:35AM

I don't recall a brand being mentioned but I would NOT recommend the label maker that Elaine gave to Tim Whatley.

Posted by: Jeff Frei (67.54.176.---)
Date: December 15, 2011 09:40AM

Bert-
Is the clear tape truly clear? My probably cheaper, DYMO tape is cloudy clear. Almost frosted looking. Definitely wouldn't use it on a rod. Just curious, wouldn't mind an upgrade in the label department.

Jeff Frei

Posted by: Greg LaPolla (69.106.136.---)
Date: December 15, 2011 11:04AM

I also would recommend Decal Connection. You cant beat their price or service. I have tried other Rod Label Makers only to be disappointed when the package arrived. I can put together a label in Adobe Illustrator, upload it to their site and in 3 days the label arrives. The labels from Decal Connection are die cut to exact dimensions and they have a protective plastic Strip over the top of the label that allows you to place the label and use a burnishing tool and/or fingers to place the label on the rod. Then it just peels right off the top of the label.

Decal connection doesn't charge and arm and a leg for shipping, I think the last Label was 50 cents to ship.

Also your first order will result in getting 2 labels plus instructions (Just in case)

Hope that helps

Greg

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 15, 2011 11:05AM

Scott Kelly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't recall a brand being mentioned but I would
> NOT recommend the label maker that Elaine gave to
> Tim Whatley.

LOL, classic!!!

jeremy

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 15, 2011 04:03PM

Decal Connection is the only way to go. Made in the USA and keeping a small business in business!

Dave Loren

Date: December 15, 2011 05:44PM

Thanks you very much guys!!

I think I will go with Decal Connection and keep the small business going here in the USA..
Thank you for all your help..

Jeff

Date: December 15, 2011 05:46PM

One last question!!!!

Which program wooks the best to do your lay up for your decal?

Jeff

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 15, 2011 05:50PM

Check there site And if you don't understand it - Call them They can make them up with as little as the OD of where it will go of course what kind of Fonds you want And colors

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dsl.crchtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 15, 2011 06:50PM

I buy crystal clear labels online from Desk top supplies.com I think. They are 1/2x2 and are perfectly clear and stick well. I print them with my ink jet printer. Something like 50 labels per page, but I only print a few at a time. Just keep running the same page through the printer. Shoot me an email if you want a link to their site.

Posted by: Jeff Haley (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 15, 2011 07:07PM

Thanks Brandon
I would like to take a look at that.

My e mail address is-
cptn.jeff@comcast.net

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster