I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

To change ot Not to change?
Posted by: Hank Gasperson (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 05:17PM

So I am finally coming down to the last bit of my Flex Coat High Build Epoxy an can't decide if I want to stick with it or order Flex Coat Light Build or even Thread Master . I have tried ProKote in the past year an like some of it's characteristics but but not all of them to make the full switch. So should I just stick with the High Build or bust out of my shell an get the Light Build or Thread Master? Any suggestion would be great an to be clear I am not bashing ProKote by any means.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: To change ot Not to change?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 05:29PM

You can get a high coat and thin it to make a light

I have been using Flex Coat high build and it is pretty nice

Thread master sets a little faster

Get small containers of some to test and see if you like them ???

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2011 05:30PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.arpa.kmcmail.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 05:30PM

Try the light build FC or go straight to TM light build. I was using FC Lite for the longest and finally gave TM Light a try (only got the 8oz). I like TM better and about to order some more. I think the TM goes on thinner and water clear'er, IMO. I stopped using HiBuild because I wanted more thin coats, especially working with micro's.

Posted by: Joe Azar (---.sub-174-255-49.myvzw.com)
Date: December 14, 2011 06:05PM

I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
If you are happy with the results you get now, changing will probably not improve them.
At this point, there are no miracles in epoxy. Resin & hardener and a few additives to make it do what works best for a given application.

Always learning with
Ohio Rod Builders

Joe Azar

Date: December 14, 2011 06:16PM

Joe

is right on Put any finish on a flat surface and it WILL level

It is usually user error

Then again -- If It Ain't Broke - Don't fix It

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Hank Gasperson (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 06:36PM

I always thin my high build as it is but want to try something else

Posted by: Bruce Vetre (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 07:14PM

I'm from the school of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". There is a lot to be said for sticking to one finish and learning the finish's characteristics. Then you will get better with applying it as you learn.

Date: December 14, 2011 07:16PM

So
order some different types and try

What is the problem There are so many out there Check here buy a search and see what most use or are recommended

Bill - willierods.com

Re: To change or Not to change?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2011 12:30AM

Hank,
If you are getting perfect results from your current product - why change.

Hundreds of rod builders use flex coat high build every day and all have excellent results. A tried and proven product that does a good job.

If there is something that you want that is different from your current product, then by all means try 20 or 30 different products until you get the product that works to your satisfaction.

Remember, other opinions really do not matter to you. You are the one that is going to be using the product. What one person likes, another person may hate.

So, try and use the product that you want to use for your particular needs.

Roger

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 15, 2011 09:42AM

Hank I have been using flex coat for 6 years, Because of all the raves with Thread Master I tried a bottle Ive never been so happy. The true test for me was to mix a batch of FC and a batch of TM . You will see that flex coat dries yellow where thread master is clear. I personally think its easier to work with , levels better and faster and is much clearer which equates to better looking thread work.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 15, 2011 08:04PM

I have to add my two cents for Pro Kote. I love the working time, it is crystal clear and I think you could mix it with an egg beater and it would still come out bubble free!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 16, 2011 09:37AM

I started with Flex Coat High Build and then made the switch to the Lite formula. I read some many good reviews on Thread Master Lite that I gave it shot and was amazed at how much better I liked the results.
I still use TM Lite most of the time but have been using ProKote a little lately and might be making another switch. It levels nicely, is clear and has a super pot life. Plus as a "medium" finish, I can go with 1 coat and still get good coverage and save a little time.
If you're looking for a change, I'd suggest TM Lite & ProKote, try both and see which one you like better.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2011 01:09AM

I never could get full coverage with one coat of ProKote. I love how clear it is and easy to work with, but it takes so long to dry. That's my only complaint. I've tried a lot of different finishes and ProKote takes way longer than the others to dry. I can put a coat of Flexcoat or @#$%^ brand on and it's dry in 4-6 hours. ProKote: find something else to do for at least a whole day.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2011 01:17PM

David, I did three rods on a single rod dryer yesterday using prokote. Granted it was around 95 degrees in the shop...lol. About 4 hours each. I've used FC high build and FC lite. Found I much prefer the prokote. I think I will try the TM lite at some point just out of curiosity but have to agree with the statement "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2011 01:20PM

That's good to know Rufus. If I decide to use it again I'll try to increase the heat around it. Thanks for the info.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.235.189.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 18, 2011 05:44PM

I gotta go with ProKote here as well. I initially used Classic Coat for a long while, if you look back in my previous posts here. I then tried TM and TM Lite and they werent bad at all. I actually like TM quite well but I was lucky enough to be given a sample of ProKote to test out and while it does take a little longer to dry and cure, I am still able to get full coverage in 2 coats while keeping the benefits of a light build finish.

I do not ever like to try and force it all in a single coat as that's where mistakes can happen. Even with a high build.

TM Lite took 3 coats (and then time can become an issue), and TM still took 2 as did Classic Coat. I usually wait no less than 8 hours between applications, so the time constraint was not a concern. Sometimes it can be upwards of 85-90 degrees here in Florida, so the extended working time of ProKote was a very welcomed new change. ProKote gave me a huge increase in pot life with out TOO much of change in dry time (again it gets HOT here).

While I do constantly try new products for myself, I find myself coming back to ProKote. I need to echo some of the others statements if you are wanting to try something different, get a couple of the different ones you want to try and test them out yourself. I have one personal rod I did with that first sample I was given nearly 2 years ago (I think, maybe longer) and as of right now it is the ONLY rod that still has perfectly crystal clear finish on it. To me that says something. I think you will find you like ProKote Finish rather well.

~Sean Cheaney

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 19, 2011 05:36PM

I went with thread master lite for clarity and longer pot life. I just bought their high build as less coats would be a plus at times, especially butt wraps.

I think y'all just convinced me to give prokote a try. Down here last thing we are worried about is drying time:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: December 19, 2011 05:43PM

Aftcote I use in very hot weather

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster