I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Feral or no feral
Posted by: Jeff Bernier (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2011 12:58AM

A friend of mine just handed me an ugly stick that has some cracks in the blank where the bottom section fits into the top section. There is a wrap design over that area that is probably holding it together at this point. He was asking if I would wrap over it just one more time to keep it from getting worse to fast.
I was thinking of removing the wrap and re-wrapping it again to fix it, or do the wrap on top of that as well to make it stronger. They other idea and I am sure the better one would be to get a feral and repair it that way. Is this possible or which way do you think would work well enough.

Thanks
Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Feral or no feral
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 01:42AM

I would re-wrap it with a feral as it will make it a stronger rod too.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 08:04AM

I would clean the old wrap off Rewrap and a good coat of permagloss on A lot stronger then finish
Then if he wants pretty you can wrap over that in colors he wants
Even double wrap

May hold up may not ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 14, 2011 08:49AM

If this is a tip-over-butt ferrule, there may be some difficulty in finding a metal ferrule that will easily fit the sections as they are now. You'll have to install them in reverse and may still wind up doing a great deal of trimming from one end or the other.

If the cracks are in the female portion of the ferrule, try this: Remove the existing reinforcement wrap, apply epoxy into the cracks and then bind the area tightly by wrapping a rubber band around it. Use a Q-tip or similar to clean any excess epoxy that gets forced to the inside of the ferrule. This area must be kept free from excess epoxy. Check it several times before setting the section aside to cure. One the epoxy has cured, make a new reinforcement wrap over the area and finish as usual. This should get your friend another few year's use out of the rod.

Date: December 14, 2011 09:33AM

Reading his post over again sounds like a Tip Over Butt and the Male section has the cracks in it

has some cracks in the blank where the bottom section fits into the top section.

When the tip is put over the butt - how fare away is the thread wrap from the tip furrel section where the cracks are
Sounds like the butt section of the rod can use an internal section of scrap blank glued inside ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 14, 2011 09:35AM

If it has a thread wrap over it, it can't be the male section.

Date: December 14, 2011 09:56AM

That is what is getting me confused But he does say bottom section fits into the top ???

Jeff

What is it

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2011 10:02AM by bill boettcher.

Date: December 14, 2011 11:34AM

That means the tip is larger than the butt, a tip-over-butt connection. At least that's my understanding of what he wrote.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 12:00PM

Jeff,
From the sounds of your description, it appears that you have cracks in the tip section of the rod that has been overwrapped to withstand cracking when the smaller solid tipped butt section slips into the tip section.

Assuming that this is the case, I agree that I would clean up the tip section. Cut off all of the old wraps and scrape down the tip section for a couple of inches to be free of finish and to verify how far the cracking has gone up the rod.

Then, I would obtain an oversleeve that would be a nice fit on the tip section. Since I expect that this is not a terribly fast tapering section of the rod, you can find an oversleeve that you can put on from the bottom of the tip section.

Make sure that the oversleeve is at least 3/4 of an inch longer than any cracks that might be proceeding up the blank.

Now, get a piece of wax paper to protect the butt section of the rod from sticking into the tip section of the rod.

Mix up a batch of 5 minute epoxy, and coat the inside of the oversleeve, and the outside of the tip section where the oversleeve will be placed. Slip the oversleeve over the tip section, insuring that you have enough epoxy to fill any gaps or cracks.
Now, use a wire, or smaller piece of rod blank and alcohol to completely clean out the inside of the tip section of any epoxy that might have gotten into the tip section. Finally take about two wraps of wax paper around the butt section of the rod and place it firmly into the tip section of the rod. Go over the tip section oversleeve and clean off any excess epoxy.

Go ahead and wrap both ends of the oversleeve with a 1/4 inch of thread wrapping to prevent any splitting of the repair. Coat with one or two coats of finish epoxy.

Finally, after everything has set up, remove the butt section from the tip section and insure that the wax paper has also been removed from the tip section.

Double check the fit of the butt section into the tip section for final fit and go fishing.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Jeff Bernier (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2011 11:40PM

Thanks again guys it was the tip section that had the cracks and I cleaned it up the cracks were very small so I was able to repair the cracks with some epoxy over them. I put the rubber band around it and keep it clean. Once it curse I will wrap over it and put it back the way it was. I love this site, you guys always help out thanks thanks thanks.

Jeff

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster