I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

sanding epoxy?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2011 05:12PM

I have a older build I like to sand down the high spots on the wraps, does any of you have any suggestions on the best way to do them I was thinking of using a popsickle stick and wrapping like a piece of 240 sand paper and sand it wet, but I was wondering if any of you have any better suggestions. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sanding epoxy?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 13, 2011 05:51PM

Use a wood block. It's firmer and won't give on you. Although, an emery board can work well on smaller guide wraps.

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2011 05:54PM

I think I got a small wood block, Thanks.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2011 07:10PM

Lorenzo,
Since you say that you are saying that you are sanding the high spots over a wrap, you really have to be careful about sanding all of the way through the finish and into the wraps.
If you get though the finish at all and snag a thread - it is all over. Time to cut off the guide and rewrap and recoat.

I would suggest that you have a few different grades sandpaper on hand and use the highest number grade that you can use and still achieve your purpose. Normally, if you want to cut through epoxy, you have to use a grit like you mention - i.e. 220 or 240 or so.
But, if you get closer to the thread, you can back off to a finer paper like 400 or 600. Just be aware that when you go to these higher grades, you get less cuting of the epoxy and you begin to polish the existing finish, rather than cutting it away.

Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 12:40AM

So you don't go though to the thread maybe you should just scoff with a fine scotch pad and recoat to be safe

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ross McKay (---.41.31.106.threembb.co.uk)
Date: December 14, 2011 06:59AM

As said above, be careful not to sand to deep,
On my very first build I was following advice to rub down hi build after 1st coat with 'synthetic' wire wool, I went a little to far and took the metallic right off the thread and had to restart.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 12:04PM

Lorenzo,
I know that you begin the post by saying the you wanted to level off a guide wrap by sanding.
But, I think that you might be better off to strip the guide, clean up the blank, rewrap and recoat without getting excess epoxy on the guide.

Many times folks think that they are going to save time, but often, in the long run one is better off to just strip the guide and start over.

It only takes a minute or two to strip and guide and clean up the blank. Then another minute or two to rewrap the guide. Now, you are up to about 5 minutes and you have a perfect wrap that is ready for initial coating. How long have you already been sanding and what does the guide look like right now?

Your choice.

Roger

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2011 12:43PM

Lorenzo,

At The Ohio Rod Builders 1st gathering we had Mark Crouse as one of our demnstrators. (You should buy his book) One thing he talked about was finishes. He told us he sands all of his wraps and starts of with 80 grit sand paper, wipes it down with d.a. sands with 120 grit, wipes it down and keeps progressing in a higher grit. He will then brush the wrap length wise with a low build epoxy.

I was afraid to try it but did any how. I don`t have the perfect finish yet. But, they certainly have improved. I would never try this on just a single coat. I also would practice on an old rod or dowel rod or something. I caught my thread once and had to use an alcohol lamp to burn the little fuzzie and all was well.

Good luck,

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: December 14, 2011 01:35PM

For me a file works better. Sand paper tends to remove the low areas too. It is nice to have an assortment of small needle files. Finish off by wet sanding in all cases.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 02:35PM

I just sand mine with 320 400 and some kind of block

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster