I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
If you had to survive on 5 blanks...
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 06, 2011 04:15PM

I seem to be capable of getting sidetracked on what's REALLY important in terms of research and thought it might be interesting to re-focus and see what the rest of the world thinks. So, if you had to keep your business going with only five blanks in stock, what would they be. I'm more interested in length, action, power, even species than I am brand names and numbers. In fact, I'd like to leave brand names out altogether if possible. ALL responses are welcome, and it will help us focus on gaining a broader knowledge of components and layouts on the rods that are most important to most builders. I realize this we be very local but the "overlap" should be interesting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: If you had to survive on 5 blanks...
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 06, 2011 04:45PM

IP843 & IP844 Popping Blanks 7'
Mag Bass 843 7'
Heavy Act Punching Rod 7.6''
783 Med., Fast Act. 6'6''

With those blanks I could do all of my Inshore Saltwater fishing and Bass fishing.

Lance

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 06, 2011 05:01PM

Mag bass 844 (used for saltwater as well as fresh)
782 light spinning
660 trolling rod
ISP1445 (steel head and light surf / jetty work)
SU1267 medium surf stick

Posted by: Greg Weaver (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2011 05:10PM

Freshwater stripers, mountain trout, surf fishing and off shore fishing, 5 blanks, what, for each type!

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2011 05:18PM

SB1266 3/4-3oz 10'6"
SB1267 2-5 oz 10'6"
SB1086 3/4-3oz 9'
SB1028 1-3oz 8'6"
CSW1008 3/4 -3 10'

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2011 05:31PM

6'0", 4-8#, Fast Action, Light Power ... Bluegill, Trout, etc.
6'8", 8-14#, Extra Fast Action, Medium Power ... Bass and Mixed Inshore (Close Quarters)
7'0", 8-17#, Moderate Fast Action, Medium Power ... Bass and Mixed Inshore.
7'6", 6-12#, Extra Fast Action, Mag-Light Power ... Mixed Inshore (Open Water).
7'6", 30-50#, Fast Action, Medium Heavy Power ... Tarpon, Permit, Mixed Light Offshore.

Posted by: mike harris (---.cluster-h.websense.net)
Date: December 06, 2011 05:32PM

MB843
MB844
7’6” flipping stick
843 popping or crankbait
6’8”-6’10” extra fast spinning

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 06, 2011 05:43PM

What about a nice fly rod 3 wt for trout pan-fish small bass 7 for larger bass

Then we can talk of spin or cast

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bruce Vetre (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2011 05:54PM

7' 1/4-5/8 Popping
7' 1/4-5/8 Fast Action Spin Bass
7' 1/4-1 Mag Bass
7'6" 3/8-1-1/2 Flipping/Pitching
7' 1/16-1/4 Spin Jig

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 06, 2011 07:10PM

6 '6" 2wt Mod-fast
7' 6" 3wt " "
8' 6" 4wt " "
9' 5wt fast
9' 8wt "

Of course this would get me out of most heavy Blue Water rods. Though I build primarily for trout and Steelhead fishermen.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.22.131.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 06, 2011 07:58PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2011 08:50PM by matthew jacobs.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2011 08:38PM

Pay attention, Matthew ...

Jim Ising Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In fact, I'd like to leave brand names out altogether if
> possible.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.22.131.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 06, 2011 08:50PM

Jim Gamble Wrote:
> Pay attention, Matthew ...
>
> Jim Ising Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > In fact, I'd like to leave brand names out
> altogether if
> > possible.

Happy now?

MB843
L843
P843
SJ843
SJ842

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 06, 2011 08:52PM

Wow, tough for us coastal guys who need to cover bream to billfish. I'm firmly of the frame of mind that the reel plays as big a role. We need something that can hold enough straight mono in the lower range but has the strength to load with braid and fish a heavier top shot. Here we go.

1) A 7 foot live bait stick capable of 30-50# class teamed with a quality 2-speed lever drag reel capable of decent casting performance. Said reel should have enough capacity to hold an adequate amount of 30# mono for general purpose trolling and the rod tip needs to be soft enough to cast live baits. At the same time rod and reel needs to be able to handle braid and a 50# top shot with a strong enough tip to allow for some forms of bottom fishing.

2) An 8 (maybe 9 foot?) foot jig type blank coupled with a star drag reel capable of superior casting performance. Rod should be able to fish in the 15-30# range. Reel should hold enough 15# mono to allow surf casting for good sized fish and hold enough braid to be a functional 30# reel (with proper top shot) to allow for upwards of 350 yards of capacity.

3) A 7 to 8 foot spinning outfit on a spin jig rod rated around 10-17#. Reel should hold 300 yards of 10# mono and when loaded with braid give an effective capacity of 250 yards of IFGA 8kg class. This outfit need not be as heavy as it sounds. The proper one should be fine tossing spinner baits for bass, fishing an ounce of lead on the bottom for snapper, and yet have enough moxy to fish a live bait under a kite for sailfish. I have tried to refrain from names but here I'll say think something like stella 4000 to 6000 and sc5 in NSi.

4) A 6 to 7 foot baitcaster outfit built around a low profile digital control reel. Outfit should be light enough to cast and fish down to 1/4 ounce in fresh water yet be stout enough to handle snook/tarpon/redfish. Today's high end reels should have no problem with this. A good 3 power mag bass blank shouldn't either.

5) A 5'6" to 6'6" popping or moderate action spin/jig type rated 4-10# or maybe a touch lighter. It needs to be okay for panfish yet have enough backbone for bonefish on 6-8# test. Actually I have a zero power hot shot rod that could fill the bill. Total overkill for pan fish yet it casts light offerings as well as my ultra-light and at a raw balnk weight a little under 1.5 ounces isn't too heavy in the hand.

5A) If I had more fly rod experience I might suggest replacing the lightest offering with one. A spinning reel could be used for crappie and such.

So there you have it. A good 2 speed lever drag capable of 30-50# class. A moderate priced star drag that could fish 15-30, and function as anything from surf casting to bottom fishing to light trolling. A very high end spinning outfit, with a sweet enough rod and reel that it is a joy to fish in fresh water, yet inspires confidence in salt water even when under gunned. An awesome baitcaster that can handle a wide range of lure weights with ease, paired with a light, fast, quick taper rod. And a light action spinning outfit that isn't too heavy for panfish yet could handle smaller flats fish.

A whole bunch of compromises, but ones I could live with. Is that what you wanted Jim?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2011 08:58PM

Jim Gamble Wrote:
> 6'0", 4-8#, Fast Action, Light Power ... Bluegill,
> Trout, etc.
> 6'8", 8-14#, Extra Fast Action, Medium Power ...
> Bass and Mixed Inshore (Close Quarters)
> 7'0", 8-17#, Moderate Fast Action, Medium Power
> ... Bass and Mixed Inshore.
> 7'6", 6-12#, Extra Fast Action, Mag-Light Power
> ... Mixed Inshore (Open Water).
> 7'6", 30-50#, Fast Action, Medium Heavy Power ...
> Tarpon, Permit, Mixed Light Offshore.

I second the list above but I would add 9-10ft, light & med power, ex- fast/ fast steelhead/salmon blanks and also as many types in "Multi-Piece/ Travel" config.
I know the travel blanks still are not available in many of the models but, I can wish can't I?

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 07, 2011 09:00AM

Jim Gamble Wrote:
> 6'0", 4-8#, Fast Action, Light Power ... Bluegill,
> Trout, etc.
> 6'8", 8-14#, Extra Fast Action, Medium Power ...
> Bass and Mixed Inshore (Close Quarters)
> 7'0", 8-17#, Moderate Fast Action, Medium Power
> ... Bass and Mixed Inshore.
> 7'6", 6-12#, Extra Fast Action, Mag-Light Power
> ... Mixed Inshore (Open Water).

What Jim said, except I would remove his last rod and replace it with this:

9', 30-80#, 1-8oz, Moderate-Fast, Xtra-Heavy Power Musky blank

jeremy

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.144.---)
Date: December 07, 2011 09:02AM

From the prospective of a fisherman, not a custom rod business owner: For fresh water bass, panfish, pike, walleye, and flat line salmon trolling/casting:

7 foot med power fast action spin rod blank (can be built into specialty casting rod also)

7 1/2 foot 3 wt fly rod blank for panfish, to be built into either fly or spin (spin works great with light lures cast to panfish)

6' 9" crankbait blank, med light power, moderate action, for casting surface lures and cranks and jerks.

6' 9" med power, fast action spinnerbait blank for spinnerbait casting and flat line trolling for salmon, also casting for salmon with spoons and 12 oz and up stick baits. Works well in a rod holder, sets the hook well on the strike without being too aggressive,
handles the fish well (kings to 20#). (Medium power 7 " mag bass action will work better for the salmon, but 5 is the limit on count, and this blank is very versatile.)

9" med power, mod/fast action (better to be mod if you can find it) blank for building into spinning rod for casting for salmon with 1/4 oz thundersticks and similar lures.

For ALL types of fishing, not even considering the heavier kinds of salt, I just don't think you can narrow it to 5. Just consider the travel aspect, for one. No one wants a 4 piece rod if they don't travel. No one wants a one piece rod if they do.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2011 09:19AM

If I were to run a business on 5 blanks they would be:

7' 0 power popping blank for panfishing and UL lures
6'10" medium power extra fast action drop shot blank for finesse presentations
7' 3 power mag bass for general purpose bass fishing (T rigs, jigs, spinnerbaits, etc.)
7'6" moderate to moderate fast action crankbait blank
7'6" flipping stick

From those through trimming and extending on occasion, I could satisfy a lot of people.

Joe

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2011 09:51AM

This is a good question to ask the Veteran builders! I have often pondered the thought of buying an in house stock of blanks to keep on hand for customers. I can see already with some of the posts so far this is going to vary from builder to builder! I would like to think there are many aspects or reasons to consider in ones pre- stock in materials or just blanks in mind for this one.

To answer the question out right (for myself)! I keep none in stock, and my reasoning on this is simple, all my builds except perhaps less than half are reconstructs (update or complete overhaul of currently owned rod) and refurbishing. In my current location Salmon, Steelhead, and Sturgeon are the most pursued species, so I keep nothing in stock for blanks, because the customers vary in taste and desired component's. I also think there are many levels of stature for the custom rod builder, demand and supply isn't really in my footnote of building (GetBit & Mudhole are my on-hand supply LOL as are many others) and I really think it has to do allot with the clientèle in the builders area! My clientèle is sporadic at best and mostly returning customers are wanting a completely different build or upgrade whether it be cosmetic or component its something different in each customer.

I can see other custom builders in a completely different standing and have many customers demanding the same product over and over and can't keep them in stock! thats a great time for someone at that level of building, I would imagine most of those folks have been at it along time or find it convenient to have there blank stock up to par with demand. For my current level of clientèle I don't see it feasible at this time, I do keep a line of rods on the rack to show the difference in power, and action so I can get a better idea of what the customer may want in those variances but that's all there used for really. I also keep a good supply of catalogs on hand for customers to take with them so they can look at what is available and I keep my vendor websites on the desktop for viewing with customers as well. I hope that our vendors are reading this and now have an understanding of how important it is to keep there web pages up to date and functional and in line with there catalogs information for the most part. So this is what I currently do and it seems to work for me for the time being, good day to you all Folks !

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 07, 2011 11:23AM

Mike Harris and I would make a good team.
I would want the same 5 rods he does.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster