I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

When lathes attack
Posted by: keith corwin (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: December 05, 2011 07:23PM

I did a really dumb thing early Sunday morning. Got up about 6;00 am and started turning down a foam core for a handle. I heard a noise that sounded like a bearing going out in the tail stock on my shopsmith. I don't hear very well so instinctively put my ear down a little closer to the tail stock and next thing I was jerked into the tool rest, the 3/8' stainless steel mandrel is bent 45 dregees as I'm struggling to turn of the shopsmith off. There was a softball size of hair wrapped around the mandrel, I have (had) shoulder lenght hair. I lost about half the hair on the right side of my head. I was very lucky that it did not scalped, just pulled the hair out by the roots, it didn't bleed too much. I realize that I still live in the 70's and most of the builders don't have long hair but you do wear long sleves and we all have brain farts once in awhile. Next time your using a power tool or any tool for that matter, remember the stupid thing that I did and work safe!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: When lathes attack
Posted by: Adam Edwards (203.15.208.---)
Date: December 05, 2011 08:07PM

Hi Keith, good to hear that you are ok and thank you for the safety share. I work in the mining industry and we always like to share incidents to ensure that it doesn't happen to others. Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

I would also add to your saftey brief, long shirt sleeves, necklaces or anything loose and dangling as these can caught in rotating machines.

regards Adam

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 05, 2011 08:41PM

Had a machine shop teacher in high school who did the same thing with a drill press, but he was scalped with a 3 inch patch off the top of his head. Hippies beware around machinery!!....LOL

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 05, 2011 08:53PM

Tools are wonderful but, VERY dangerous machines. I had an accident a few years back. It was embarassing to give a seminar at the ICRBE with my hand bandaged. It is a constant reminder and I now give my tools the utmost respect. I DO NOT do anything that is not safe or try to push things like I did before. Be glad it is not permanent or fatal. We all do things we look back and say to ourselves "What was I thinking?" I sure have. Glad you are ok and i will bet the bank it will never happen again. Come to the ICRBE(Sticks and Bones) and shake my hand and we can talk tools. I wish you a speedy recovery

Posted by: Casey Abell (96.28.123.---)
Date: December 05, 2011 11:13PM

I gotta admit I have a finger thats not quite as long as the same on my opposite hand. Long story but power tools can bite you bad.

I have a metal cutting lathe that scares me to death. There are so many spinning gears I always think to myself " What if" Then get a little weirded out.

Posted by: Casey Abell (96.28.123.---)
Date: December 05, 2011 11:13PM

I gotta admit I have a finger thats not quite as long as the same on my opposite hand. Long story but power tools can bite you bad.

I have a metal cutting lathe that scares me to death. There are so many spinning gears I always think to myself " What if" Then get a little weirded out.

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 05, 2011 11:32PM

ohhhh MY! First, glad to know everything ended up better than it began. Second, thanks for the good laugh. What was so funny to me was thinking back in my younger years when I had a similar experience. Thank you Keith, and again I'm glad it turned out better than the alternative.

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.sub-75-196-46.myvzw.com)
Date: December 06, 2011 12:22AM

When I was in high school (way too long ago) a guy with a big red head afro caught his hair in the lathe and pulled out a 5" dia. chunk of scalp. I have been telling my students that for 30 years now and they all have the utmost respect for the lathe. I also tell them that the longer you work with tools eventually you will get bit, and generally the safer you are the less you are bit. We all needed to be reminded from time to time about safety. We usually get bit when in a hurry or taking things for granted.

Posted by: Craig Strong (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 06, 2011 01:28AM

Thanks for the reminder. I've not been taking my tools as seriously as I will tomorrow.

Craig

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: December 06, 2011 05:40AM

Thanks for sharing .My lathe still scares the daylights out of me.
Steve

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 06, 2011 07:32AM

Tie a bandanna onto the lath and this will remind you to ware it - before - you turn it on

All power tools demand respect

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 06, 2011 08:00AM

I work for The Foxboro Co. and they had a case of horrors. In the case was a drill bit with human hair wrapped around it. It was a constant reminder of what can happen. At another machine shop some got his hand caught in a milling machine which took off the top half of his hand. The operator got lazy and used his hand to move a oil line instead of a metal rod.
A carpenter friend of mine told me when you get overconfident about a machine that's when you get bit. Careful out there . Bill

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 06, 2011 09:17AM

I also know what can happen with a lathe in a split second. Sure glad you're OK!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2011 11:23AM

Keith,
Look at this as an opportunity to shave your head. By having all of your hair gone, you will be in good shape, not have to worry about any hair care and be in good shape for a few months.
By shaving your head, you will rebalance the look on the top of your head and be good to go.

Lots of folks do it these days to get the unique look that they like.

I am glad that you are essentially all right and no long term damage.

Be safe
REW

Date: December 06, 2011 11:25AM

Keith,
Then, after shaving your head, you can keep a baseball hat on your head to shield your eyes from any over head lighting. It will also protect the top of your head. For those of us, who are somewhat hair deprived, the wearing of a hat really helps to protect the top of the head from bumps. With no hair on the top of your head, you lose your bump sensing antenna, so a hat helps to solve that problem.

The other thing to do, is to put a safety hat on and keep it on whenever working.

Take care
REW

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: December 06, 2011 11:58AM

I too was attacked as a young long-haired rascal. Culprit was a metal lathe in my high school shop class. I still have nightmares watching my head moving into those protruding jaws on that chuck.

I never would have thought I could screach the belts and stall that monster. It cost a whole lot of hair and blood but I won the battle.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: December 06, 2011 02:11PM

I wear a baseball cap,safety glasses and an old pair of cowboy wrist guards. The guards are used for protecting your wrists when roping or doing other chores involving horses.They are made of leather and I have found them to be great for keeping loose sleeves out of moving equipment.

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (204.108.0.---)
Date: December 06, 2011 09:49PM

Blame it on "Long Hair & Rcokn Roll". I consider myself fortunate I have short hair (20 years of getting it cut every other week makes it hard to grow very long). I am also blessed in the fact that I have a hard time finding sleeves long enough for me, let alone long enough to get caught in a lathe. I was working potato harvest one year long ago. I saw someone run his hand through the combine. It took almost every finger off his hand, then rolled skin from his arm & chest around a shaft . Needless to say I watch closely around "Spinny Things". Glad it turned out not as bad as it could have.

Kirk

Date: December 07, 2011 03:32AM

On the same vein, this subject is exactly why I no longer wear any rings at all.
After a near finger losing experience, I took off all of my rings and put them away for good.

As a matter of fact, my wife had gathered up a bunch of unused jewelery the other day. I combined that with the rings that I no longer use and took them to the jeweler to sell.

Gold right now is selling for about $1750 an oz. So, the trip to the jeweler to sell the unused items turned out to be a very profitable day.

By the way, I had been in a pawn shop last week getting rid of some items from my garage attic. I noticed a lady selling some gold at the shop. so, I inquired what the going price was for a certain style and size ring. She told me her price.

When I went to the jewelry store and sold the ring, I ended up getting nearly 4X the amount that the pawn shop would have given me.
So, the jeweler told me that he charged 15% for the sale. Much better than the 70% charged by the Pawn shop.

So, when your hair is too long - cut it off.
When you worry about machinery and rings, take them off and sell them for the gold.

Then, get back to your wrapper and get the latest project complete.

Be safe and careful every single second of every single day.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Mitchell Ota (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: December 09, 2011 06:09AM

As careful as I am with the power tools, I find all my injuries come from things that seem very "safe" on the surface. I don't have a lathe, but I also do some woodworking when I'm not building rods. I always make sure I'm wearing the appropriate safety gear and I'm very careful, making test cuts and making sure what I'm doing isn't going to get me injured or killed (table saw kickbacks, skil saw kickbacks, etc.)

So, today I was working on removing the finish from an ulua rod I'm going to repaint and rewrap. I was working on a stubborn spot of rod finish that wasn't separating from the blank. I was working at it with a single edge razor blade. Of course, the blade slips when I'm least expecting it and I send the corner of the blade right into the side of my thumb. The bleeding was quite impressive and it took me a good amount of time to get it stopped. Thankfully after I cleaned it off, it didn't look nearly as bad as it seemed when it was bleeding.

Now I have it covered with some super glue and that should keep it safe for the next few days, and I get to think about it. The only real saving grace of this is the fact that I'm left-handed, and it's my right thumb...

Have to remember to be extra careful...even with the things that seem safe.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster