I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ERN 6.5 = 9/10WT??
Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: November 25, 2011 05:31PM

Today I received a blank I ordered online that I intended to build for pacific salmon. The quality looks quite good - color, straightness, fit, finish.

I measured it using CCS and found:
ERN = 6.49
AA = 69
**note that the blank matches butt size and blank weight as advertised, and I probably should have known it would be too light.

Am I wrong to conclude that there is no way this rod will throw a 9 or 10 WT fly line? I would expect it to be significantly overloaded, even at 30 feet.
Just looking for confirmation that I'm not out of line telling the vendor (not a sponsor) that their advertising is blatantly wrong.
Opinions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ERN 6.5 = 9/10WT??
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 25, 2011 05:36PM

It will load and throw a 9-weight line perfectly, at a very short distance. So their advertising is not wrong, unless they stated that it is intended for long distance casting with that line weight.

Do make sure you measured it accurately.

Date: November 25, 2011 05:38PM

By short distances do you mean 10 feet? That's hardly a reasonable assumption for a fly rod.
I checked it twice and subsequently measured a 5wt rod using the identical setup and weight and found only slightly more deflection.

Date: November 25, 2011 06:59PM

Less than 30 feet.

You might want to talk to the manufacturer (the dealer doesn't assign line weight ratings to rods) and see what they intended the rod for, or even if it might have been mis-tagged.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: November 25, 2011 07:36PM

Will do. It was a very inexpensive blank so it's not about the $, more the hassle and shipping costs.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: November 25, 2011 07:48PM

Rick,
Can you post blank butt dia. tip dia, weight, length and material along with a mid blank dia.
I can check it to my spreadsheet calculations

Thanks

Eugene Moore

Date: November 25, 2011 09:39PM

4 piece IM6
length = 105.5"
butt dia = 0.392"
tip = 4.5
blank weight = 1.65oz
mid blank dia = 0.275"

Date: November 25, 2011 10:16PM

Rick,
According to my numbers the blank should adequately cast a 6.5 to 7 weight line.
Appears you are a little under-gunned if you were planning to cast a 9 or 10 weight line.
Try looking for a butt dia approx .460 at the same length and material mid blank dia should be approx .330

Eugene Moore

Posted by: rick sodke (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: November 25, 2011 11:39PM

Yes, I was looking for a blank with an ERN of at least 9.5 for throwing 75+ feet of 8 wt line with sink tips.
This blank was cheap so I thought I would give it a try. I was surprised to see it so far from expected.

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: November 26, 2011 07:58AM

I do not think that butt diameter is an accurate gauge for what line a blank can throw. I have two St. Croix 9wt rod blanks here now and both have ERNs of above 10 and neither has a butt diameter of more than .300. A fly rod blank with a butt dia. of .460 would be a monster!

Date: November 26, 2011 08:55AM

James,
I've found butt dia to be a very accurate measure of a blank's approx strength.
When included with length, material and weight.
I've an 8 foot 8 weight with a butt diameter of .371.
Marketed as an 8' 5 weight.
The St Croix blanks you mention are most likely a higher quality material and from a more reputable maker.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: November 26, 2011 09:41AM

In other words, butt diameter is NOT an accurate measure of a blanks approximate strength.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2011 10:04AM

Eugene,

Can you shoot me an email? Your email is hidden.

Thanks,

Joe

Posted by: Kurt Mogensen (---.140.141.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 26, 2011 10:21AM

I ran into similar problems when purchasing no-name blanks from a certain on-line @#$%& site. I won't be making that mistake again. I now buy only from companies willing to put their name on the product.

Date: November 26, 2011 10:24AM

James,
Possibly you can be more specific in the St Croix blanks you mentioned.
I'm unable to find an 9' 9 weight with the .300 maximum butt dia you've stated.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 26, 2011 10:44AM

Just my Observation but Every time I get an IM6 blank i have alwas found them to be no power and what I call Mush To soft

I would go for a better brand and a IM 7, 8 graphite

IMHO You got what you paid for

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 26, 2011 10:45AM

I do not have ERNs for these blanks so I cannot say how much power they have, but all are sold as "9wt" rods.

T&T Helix .396
Orvis Zero Gravity .360
Orvis Helios .410
St Croix SCIV/II .400
St Croix SCV .385

My older model St Croixs are the brown SCV and have butts of only .290 and .300 yet ERNs of over 10.0. I have several older Loomis IMX 9 and 10wt models that also have butt diameters of under .300 and they also have ERNs of 10 and even 11.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 26, 2011 11:39AM

According to info I received at one of Emory's seminars or discussions, a blank built of the same amount of material, but twice the diameter would be 9 times stiffer. I believe stiffness in the calculations goes up by the cube root as diameter increased, it's not a linear amount by any means. The Perigee 5/6 wt fly rods I built have a butt diameter of .5", the same as the 9 wt Perigee I also own, their stiffness at the butt is quite surprising while under a load.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 26, 2011 12:07PM

We have a system to rate rod blanks

IF all blank makers used it -- then we would know or at least be in the ball park of what the blank will do and if we want more or less we look for a heaver or lighter blank

It Just Has To Be Used by All

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 26, 2011 02:18PM

The problem with ascertaining power by butt diameter alone is that you don't have enough pieces of the puzzle to be very accurate. For it to be even remotely relative, you'd have to have the same material and knowledge of the blank's wall thickness as well. I have more than a few blanks with smaller butt diameters, that are far more powerful than others with larger butt diameters.

The ERN is an accurate means of relative power comparison. You will never find a blank with a higher ERN that possesses less power than one with a lower ERN. Of course, not many manufacturers include this information, so unless you have the blank on hand it can be hard to come by.

Most rod and blank manufacturers actually prefer that you not be able to accurately compare their models to those of another company.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster