I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Do some Color Preservers maintian thread colour better
Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.carlnfd1.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: November 22, 2011 11:49PM

Hi All,

Do some CP maintain the original thread colors better than others.

Some lighter threads I have using lately have been going darker after CP was added.

There is no colour change when the epoxy goes on after the CP is applied.

Also does CP have a used by period when it is no longer good to use?

Thanks,

Richard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do some Color Preservers maintian thread colour better
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 23, 2011 12:08AM

SOme brands do a better job retaining colors than others. Buy all of them and do testing yourself. SOme people run into problems with a particular brand, while others get excellent results with that sam ebrand. CP is finicky unless you spend time figuing out how to get the brand you like to work for you

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 23, 2011 01:07AM

Light colored threads will darken on a dark blank even with CP. If you want to maintain the light color, many print the blank whit under where the wrap is placed.

Date: November 23, 2011 07:41AM

Phil, with Madeira and certain CP's, the light colors retain their color better than the darker ones, go figure.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2011 09:54AM

I, like many others here, have tried several different CP's. I found that most were similar as far as coverage and color retention but I chose to use Cason's Crystal Clear as my main CP. It goes on clear and I never have to worry about those little white flakes that can show up sometimes with the other brands. I still use a different (white colored) water based brand when inlaying feathers or snake skin because it seems to adhere better. I'm with Billy; buy several different brands and test them out. They aren't very expensive and it can really help you out. Put a bunch of thread wraps on a scrap piece of blank and test each cp separately on the wraps. You will find one you like better than the others most likely.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Richard Glabach (158.74.35.---)
Date: November 23, 2011 10:19AM

Posts in the past have praised ChromaSeal. I can't speak about this from personal experience...

Date: November 23, 2011 11:18AM

There are posts praising and bashing each CP. They all work, they all don't work. IT depends on the user, their application& finishing process, and whatever other mystery variables are involved. I have a bottle of xyz CP which I tested prior to hitting th emarket. I thought it wa a great CP, i had not a single problem with it. I gave this sample bottle to a friend, who had a problem with fisheyes once he put the epoxy over the CP. He gave me back teh bottle, an dI've since used it...not a single problem. Go figure, I have no explanation???

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 23, 2011 11:29AM

be careful of trying to speed dry with a heat gun or dryer Some CPs discolor when heated -Been there

Try doing a search here on CPs and pick up several you see listed if not all Then test on scrap

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 23, 2011 05:15PM

Richard

My "go to" is Cason's Crystal Clear (water based)

I also have had very good results with Glass Coat (I don't know if it is available any more) and Chroma Seal.

I just bought a bottle of U40 Color Lock (to use on snake skins) but have not tried it on thread wraps yet.

Rog

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2011 09:21PM

Billy, Did it have anything to do with the fact that the wrap was done on a Slim Jim?

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster