I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

type of ROD BLANK, CENTtER PIN ,
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: November 09, 2011 11:42AM

looking at making a center pin rod , I think almost any SPEY rod blank will work, is that correct ? guide spaceing should be the same , the type of guides should lift the line off the blank more than the standard guides, the one big question is real seat an handle , the butt section about th same length, 6 " real set stubble 28 / 29 an the top section handle could be about 12 to 13 inches, looking at a sge Z axis 7 WT spey 13' 6" any input I have looked at lots of web sites an got zero so looking for input Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: type of ROD BLANK, CENTtER PIN ,
Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: November 09, 2011 12:07PM

Why use a spey blank when there are many blanks designed for float rod/ centre pin use. MHX and Batson both have blanks for that purpose. I dont know if you want a 6" butt for a cnter pin but I will let other chime in. Most guys that I build for have the butt of the rod just reach their elbow an the top of the reel seat at their pinky. What is a stubble 28/29??

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: November 09, 2011 05:00PM

There are a lot of things to consider here.

1/ Target species and average size of said species.
2/ Flow characteristics of the rivers where you will be fishing.
3/ What pound test lines and leaders will be used.

For instance a rod used mainly for GL steelhead is not the same as one that will be used mainly for West coast kings.
The Z-Axis spey blank makes a very good West coast big river steelhead rod but is total over kill for Eastern waters and fish.
I have one for BC and Alaska steelhead, silvers etc. It's a little light for big kings in big water though.

My go to rod these days wether it be Eastern steelhead, browns, coho and the occasional king is a Batson XST 1562-3 13' 6-10# 3 piece float blank.
It is an excellent blank and I use it for Alaskan steelhead, Kenai Rainbows and Dollies as well as silvers. I have caught kings to 30#'s on it as well.

I like my handles to have about 9" behind the reel seat and 6"-10" above the seat. The 9" lets you tuck the butt in the crook of your arm and helps to balance the long rod.
I find shorter butts are harder on my elbow.

Here's a picture of the handle on a 13' XST I built for a buddy.
[img.photobucket.com]

And the handle on my 15' CTS
[img.photobucket.com]

My Z-Axis is quite a bit heavier than any of my 15 foot rods and a lot heavier than my XST 13 footer.
I have inserted some lead in the but to help balace it out but it's still hard on the arm over a full day of fishing.
[img.photobucket.com]

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: November 10, 2011 10:37AM

St Croix has a sale of 25% off at Mudhole according to my flier. I built one spiral wrapped on the 13' St Croix center pin blank so the owner could use a baitcasting reel. He loves it and I think it is lighter than my rainshadow 13' spey rod.

Posted by: Steve Dyczkiewycz (---.119.88.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 10, 2011 10:58AM

Like others have said, there is no need to look at spey conversions these days. There are plenty of float rod blanks available that perform great, but without the added weight of a spey blank. If you're fishing large watersheds (Pacific Northwest) for fresh run Chinooks, then a spey might be in order. For Great Lakes and inland float fishing the manufacturers below have something for everyone.

Batson (IST and XST)
CTS (Affinity Float)
Mudhole (MHX)
North Fork (IM and HM)
Ravent (IM6, 8, 9 and RV9)
St. Croix (SCI and SCII)

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: November 13, 2011 12:58PM

Thank for all your help an pointers
Bill

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 13, 2011 09:20PM

Angler's Workshop also has the popular Talon blanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster