I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Snake guide size recommendation
Posted by: David McDonough (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 02, 2011 02:45AM

I'm planning to build on a 5 or 6 weight blank, mainly for Erie steelhead. Probably use a 7, maybe 6 weight line with braided mono loop connections.

I have always used single foot ceramics and Minimas in the past, but because the rod will be used in the middle of winter I'll try traditional double foot snakes for the first time, in an effort to minimize icing.

1) What size snakes do you recommend to minimize icing but still not turn the rod into a wet noodle?
2) I'm considering REC guides but are they worth the extra cost, and do they "sing".

Thanks,

David

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Snake guide size recommendation
Posted by: Quinn_Canfield (198.182.55.---)
Date: November 02, 2011 07:10AM

David,
The REC do "talk" a little but it does not bother me. Their stripping guides are the big offenders. I would go with size 3 running guides combined with a size 12 and 10 stripper. I like the Titan stripping guides. Normally for a rod of that size you would end up using size 1 but the REC are so light there is not a real weight difference and the size 3's give you more "ice time" than the smaller ones. You can work you way down from the 10 to the 3 with a couple of graduated running snake guides or just go straight to 3's. Personally I like the look of an intermediate snake or two between the strippers and the running guides.
I only use REC's for my winter GLT rods. I think that the small wire gauge and flexibility make them ice up less. You can get them for about $2 a piece. Since you only need about 8 of them, the difference is only $12 a rod or so.

Quinn

Posted by: Bob Hallowell (---.sub-199-74-155.myvzw.com)
Date: November 02, 2011 01:10PM

Isn't a 5 or 6wt a little light for erie steelies? I just built an 8wt tl johnson blem sl2, it ccs's out to an ern of 7.9 and put single foot recoils for the ice build up for erie. I landed several real nice fish on it last week. I can't Imagine using a 5wt.

I do think the recoils are worth it. occasionally you will get some singing but not much.

Bob

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: November 02, 2011 06:38PM

David,
I always use the Recoil guides, especially for the tip, even at the increased price. Generally for a 6 weight I would use #2's but if icing is a major concern the 3's would probably be better. A light wire titanium #3 will weigh less than a light wire steel #2.
Snakes do have less tendency to ice and clear easier.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: David McDonough (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 02, 2011 10:48PM

Thanks for the advice gentlemen. I will try the size 3 Recoils.

By the way, I know a 5 or 6 weight blank sounds light for steelhead but for reasons of stealth in the smaller tribs, I want to use as light fly line as I can - preferrably 7 weight or below.

I am going to add a 5th peice to a 4 peice 9ft blank to create a very transportable 10'6" switch/nymphing rod. I figure that the extension will make a "5 weight" blank act more like a "6 weight" and because often there will be little line outside of the tip, it will probably load better with a 7 weight line. In addition the rod will probably get used a bit for shad and smallmouth so I'd prefer not to go heavier.

Thanks,

David

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: November 03, 2011 10:44PM

I would really rethink the size 3 if you are using loop to loop. I would stick with #4 and an XL tip top. The recoil have a very small foot so it will not make a difference in wrapping but it will in ice and casting. Good thing is if you are nymphing you will not be pulling line though there all the time but still give it some thought.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2011 01:45PM

Eric,
Since this is a winter rod, go larger on the guides, rather than smaller. It is fine to go with the recoil guides, but I doubt very much if you would actually be able to tell the difference in the recoil guides compared to standard wire guides in your casting.

You might just try taping on a set of recoils and do some test casting. Then tie on a set of inexpensive wire snake guides and do some test casting. Let us know if you can actually detect any difference in your casts.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster