I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I messed up
Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: October 31, 2011 09:24PM

Had gimbal move on me without knowing it. Glued on with Kardol. Is there any chance of getting it off without cutting it or the rod blank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I messed up
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2011 10:40PM

Try a little heat. If it was t on there too long it should pop off

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 31, 2011 11:26PM

I pop them off with a heat gun. BEWARE teh metal gets HOT. I pput a screwdriver in teh slots and turn the gimbal. I lkow others get them off with boilin gwater. What did you use as an arbor? If drywall I'll asume you didn't apply the epoxy as you were wrappin gthe draywall on,?

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: November 01, 2011 08:29AM

Fibreglass tape and yes I put epoxy all down into it. Tried to heat and twist it last night. No luck.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 01, 2011 08:48AM

You just didn't use enough heat. It takes a lot on teh gimbal to loosen it up.30 seconds, turning it. TRy popping it. Another 30 seconds, etc. Most times it's stuck at the end of the blank, I had one that I had to reuse from a broken rod which took at least 15 minutes to get off, and I pretty much damaged the edge of teh gimbal becaus eI was prying it with teh flat head screwdriver. I pretty much tore teh arbor apart toget it off (I use FC arbors).

The good thing is that I know how strong my glue joints are, lol

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2011 11:06AM

Heat and strong steady pressure. If you have a vice, clamp a screw driver in it and wrap the screwdriver in electrical tape to minimize scratches to the gimbal. This allows you to twist the rod with two hands while the vice holds the Sdriver.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Date: November 01, 2011 12:06PM

Scared of damaging the blank if I twist any harder. Even if I could even twist it I do not think the epoxy would reset. Thanks for the help. I think I will just spiral cut and replace it. A lesson learned the hard way, never leave anything alone until you are sure everything is lined up and set.

Posted by: Brook Oliva (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2011 01:29PM

Hi James,
Try heating and letting it cool multiple times, each time twisting using Billy's method. I have had luck doing this, reheating multiple times seems to break down the glue. Good Luck!

Kind Regards,

Brook Oliva
Mud Hole Custom Tackle, Inc.
brook@mudhole.com
(866)-790-RODS

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: November 01, 2011 02:04PM

Do keep in mind epoxy will never "reset". The gimbal must be re-glued.

I'd boil her for a good period of time, like 20-30 minutes. Then I'd move quick, hit the gimbal with a torch and try to move it. I'd like to have the gimbal marked with a temperature crayon. 250 degree is about where most epoxy breaks free. If you happen to have a deep fat fryer you can fill her with sand. Get the sand about 300 degrees and let her cook for 20 minutes or so. Better to pull as straight as you can and not twist too much IMHO.

All that said I'd cut it off as the blank is always worth more than the gimbal!

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster