I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: What's up wid dis?
Posted by: David Norton (---.bna.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 31, 2011 07:17PM

I simply copied what is out there for all to read. Am I wrong for wanting to know how this came to be I don't think so!
For those of you who think I am computer illiterate let me state that since 1998 I have designed and built all of
computers I use. I know how search engines operate. I have designed my own websites. So don't think I am ignorant in that respect.
I don't like being linked to anything I have no affliation with.
And Tom if you truely want the name of my lawyer, as your email indicated. I assure you I can retain the services of the best that
Nashville has to offer. So go in peace my friend! Peace out!

Dave Norton

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 31, 2011 07:41PM

David,

You claim that you're computer savvy enough not to misinterpret search engine results, yet you came here and made false accusations. What am I supposed to think your goal was in doing this? If you didn't make a mistake, then you're the one guilty of libel.

I have never associated you with my magazine or Expo - you wouldn't be a drawing card. The post you listed from the search engine was made about Ralph O'Quinn on the www.rodbuildingforum.com - you're not mentioned in it in any way. You can take a moment to look it up and see for yourself, although Kevin Knox has posted it above for you.

Posted by: Ken Bonneau (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 31, 2011 07:50PM

Man up Dave, it's not too late

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2011 09:10PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2011 08:14PM

When I ran a BING search with Dave's exact search terms ... "Dave Norton Millennium Custom Rods", I did get a hit. It went right to his Facebook page where he made this same accusation on October 16th - 15 days ago. On October 20th, he states that the same accusation he makes here this evening, earned him banishment on a "certain rod building forum" and it was implied that it was this one ... yet it is 11 days later.

Furthermore, he makes a declaration on October 16th that states " I have never written anything for RodMaker Magazine. Nor have I ever or will ever do seminars at the International Custom Rod Builder's Expo". That statement in itself seems very abrasive and even offensive.

I don't even need to be an experienced maritime professional to know something is fishy in these waters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2011 08:16PM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.guardster.com)
Date: October 31, 2011 08:15PM

I don't know what to think about Dave's response. I'm nearly speechless. I thought he would just say, "hey I messed up and I'm sorry." That would have been the end of it and no one would have thought the worse of him. To err is human after all. But instead of apologizing he chose to make a fool of himself. I guess that's justice enough.

Ken Finch

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.sub-174-253-245.myvzw.com)
Date: October 31, 2011 08:32PM

Amen

Date: October 31, 2011 10:24PM

An apology from Dave would have been appropriate but I think his own response is convicting enough. For all I know his intentions may indeed have been sinister, however, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, assume he made an honest mistake and is just too proud to own up to it. Frankly, I don't even know who he is.

There is a lesson to be learned here - jumping to false conclusions and making them public can result in embarrassment to oneself or one's business. A moment's restraint and clear thought can go a long way in preventing such.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2011 10:34AM

I just want to say that if my name was accidentally associated with Rodmaker and the Expo I would be flattered and it would probably help my business. I certainly would not be offended by it. I do subscribe and I do go to the Expo because it helps me to be a better builder and I have made many new friends because of all of this. By the way, I just renewed mine today. Thanks for the great magazine Tom.
Just my 2 cents.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: November 01, 2011 11:16AM

Thanks. However in this case, David's name was not in any way associated with the magazine nor the Expo. He simply misinterpreted the search engine's result text. Had he actually followed the link it provided, it would have taken him to a post made on www.rodbuildingforum.com where I was making a statement about Ralph O'Quinn.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 01, 2011 12:02PM

Tom,

In all the years I have known you I must say you have set a stellar example in the manner you conduct yourself personally and professionally.

This is not the first unwarranted complaint leveled against you and it surely won't be the last.

As with all such misguided efforts it backfired.

Once again the Forum readers get a glimpse of your thoughtful and classy response to a cheap shot.

And once again a misguided individual gets to limp off having shot himself in the foot.

Will fools never learn?

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: November 01, 2011 12:04PM

It takes some ego to think that the planets best known rod building magazine and the world's largest rod building event gain would gain anything by linking to a common unknown rod builder. The entire scenario is not even plausible. Sheesh!

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 01, 2011 03:26PM

Man, I go out of town for a day or 2 and come back to "All My Children" and "Guiding Light".

Date: November 01, 2011 04:08PM

No, the guy just misinterpreted a search result, jumped to some false assumptions and made them public. We don't need to jump on Dave - he's already been "hoist by his own petard."

Those who aren't aware of the meaning of that phrase can do a search, no pun intended.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 01, 2011 04:34PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No, the guy just misinterpreted a search result,
> jumped to some false assumptions and made them
> public. We don't need to jump on Dave - he's
> already been "hoist by his own petard."
>
> Those who aren't aware of the meaning of that
> phrase can do a search, no pun intended.
>
> ....................

Boy, really no sense of humor around here lately.

And yes, I know what it means.

Date: November 01, 2011 04:47PM

Matthew,

When you think about it, the whole episode is funny enough as it is.

Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2011 04:57PM

Tom,
Feel free to state on any forum that I have written articles for your magazine, heck, go ahead and say that I did some seminars for you too!!!! I will gladly take the prestige... ; )

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 01, 2011 05:27PM

Having done a few seminars at the ICRBE's, as well as a regular column the past year in Rodmaker Magazine, I can honestly say that I am VERY proud to be able to tell people that. I do not think it's coincidence that since writing the Wraps articles in Rodmaker Mag that my book sales have picked up tremendously. Having those 2 accomplishments in my resume undoubtedly has been a major positive in my rodbuilding "career". There's a major difference when you answer a few forum posts, and are invited to write an article or do a seminar at the largest event in rodbuilding - it kind of burns me to see someone assume that A> somoene would give them that level of accolade, and B> complaining about it on a misunderstanding.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.guardster.com)
Date: November 01, 2011 07:04PM

One thing is for sure, ALL the search engines will pick up THIS thread and I doubt it will do much for his custom rod business. But he did this to himself.

Ken Finch

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by: David Norton (---.bna.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 01, 2011 07:07PM

First of all I did not accuse anyone by name of anything. I said I would like to know
who was responsible for a misrepresentation . I do not want my name associated somewhere it should not be.
I never said that I had been banned from a particular forum, only that I had been banned form one. For those that think I am attacking
someone by name ,or in particular you should read the initial post again.

Dave Norton

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: November 01, 2011 07:15PM

Dave. The responsible party is Google. Try you luck there. LOL

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster