I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Carbon Sleeve material for grips application
Posted by: Andrew Cake (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2011 02:20PM

So I have some knowledge on how to build the grips. My curiosity is, when you have the carbon sleeve over the foam or eva core and its tied off to taper the ends, should a rod be inserted into the center to allow the dryer to spin it during resin coating application?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2011 02:28PM by Andrew Cake.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carbon Sleeve material for grips application
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 23, 2011 05:40PM

RodMaker V10 #6 will answer all your questions - that's where this technique was introduced to the rod building craft.

There are two ways to wet out the skin - the open method where you form by hand and wet with epoxy may require a means for turning for the grip. The shrink tube method does not, as the tubing captures and expels excess epoxy. It can't sag or run because it's encapsulated with the tubing.

Date: October 23, 2011 05:43PM

Tom, im fairly new, so I dont quite have those issues. lol, so let me give you more info. Im using a foam core. now, do i apply the epoxy to the core first then slide the sleeve over the core, tighten the ends next then let cure?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 23, 2011 05:46PM

No, just slide the skin over the core, bind the ends and apply the wetting epoxy. The epoxy will soak through to the core.

Date: October 23, 2011 05:51PM

Tom once again, thank you for helping me solve an issue. Its nice to have folks on here that have the knowledge and insight on this craft to get us younger generation on the right track.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2011 06:04PM

Many of us put the foam core on a mandrel and then place the sleeve on the core, then apply the epoxy. This the open method as perfected by J P Timberlake.

Date: October 23, 2011 06:21PM

I haven't tried the open method yet, but thats right around the corner.

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 24, 2011 02:05PM

Mandrel method works very well. I like the method outlined by by Mike from Riley Rods. Their site has the step by step technique with helpful hints. Great source for any material you may need as well.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: October 25, 2011 10:06PM

I have tried a few carbon grips with great success but would like to try the shrink wrap method. Where could I find the shrink wrap big enough for this job?
Thanks

Posted by: Rich Olson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2011 09:04AM

Mudhole has a shrink wrap for protecting grips. It is perforated though, so I don't know if it would be suitable strength wise for
doing carbon foams.

[www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 26, 2011 09:20AM

take a look here several handle type wraps [www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.capoc.army.mil)
Date: October 26, 2011 10:01AM

what I was looking for was a "heat shrink" tube for use with the carbon sleeve. After you wet it up you put the heat shrink tube over and heat up, allow to cure and cut off.I have uses plastic wrap with success but there is some wet sanding in the end to knock down the ridges and with a heat shrink like Tom is talking about I would not have to do that. Make sence?

Thanks,

Eric

Posted by: Rich Olson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2011 10:20AM

The Mudhole link in my post above is actually for a heat shrink tubing. Also, if you google a company called Uline, they also carry heat shrink tubing
starting at 2" (before shrinking), however there is usually a minimum order with them.

~ RO

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 26, 2011 10:52AM

e mail Tom and ask him what he uses

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster