I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mixing snakes and single foot guides
Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.carlnfd1.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: October 23, 2011 07:16PM

Hi All,

I read on a post a while ago that mixing snakes and single foot guides on a fly rod can change the rods action, but I can't seem to find the post.

I was just about to wrap a MHX #7, 4 piece rod, but after another test cast this morning, I felt that I would like the bottom third of the rod to be slightly stiffer. I would like to experiment a bit before I wrap.

The guides are 16,12,(wire SF 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3),T, and the top two sections have a guide on each ferrule.

Could someone explain how this works, and the Pros/Cons associated, or another way to get the desired action.

Thanks,

Richard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mixing snakes and single foot guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 23, 2011 07:40PM

No, you cannot change the action (where the rod initially flexes) with guides of any sort.

You cannot make the rod, or any portion thereof, stiffer by adding guides. Any guides will soften the rod and reduce its speed (reaction and recovery time).

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.vinc.in.charter.com)
Date: October 23, 2011 08:05PM

Richard,
I've mixed snakes and single foot guides for several years.
I prefer snakes over single foot but like to keep the tip of the rod lighter without the second wrap required on snakes.
For this I switch to single foot light wire titanium.
It's not as much a function of attempting to stiffen the rod as it is to increase the rods reaction speed by reducing tip weight.
All guides add weight to the blank reducing rod response. The tip is especially susceptble.
The rod deflects from tip to butt and straightens from butt to tip.
The weight reduction at the tip lowers the amount of torque required by the caster as well as making the tip more responsive.

Eugene Moore

Date: October 24, 2011 01:51AM

I must have read it wrong.

Thanks,

Richard

Posted by: Owen Spalding (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: October 24, 2011 07:43AM

Tom......thankyou......finally some sense........the more guides the softer the rod..........i build ulralight game rods and the less rollers i use the stiffer it is ..comments of adding more to stiffen it up annoys the @#$%& out of me....
eyrerods.com.au

Date: October 25, 2011 06:45AM

Would I be better off reducing my guide numbers from 10 to 9.

If this felt better, would it it put undue stress on the rod when fighting fish.

What about moving the stripper guide up towards the tip. What, if any effect, would this have?

Thanks,

Richard

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 25, 2011 09:10AM

Do it and then Test Cast it to see if it changes how it casts Check for the line slapping the blank if you bring the stripper up farther

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 25, 2011 05:49PM

Richard,
If you want to drop 1 guide not a problem.
If you intend to fish light line drop 2 guides.
The load on the rod or line is at the mercy of the angler.
Even the addition of several guides will not stop a rod from breaking from abuse.
If you fish heavy line and are concerned over the rod breaking, point the rod tip directly at the line and pull with your free hand.
No rod stress.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.hotel.ferosgroup.com.au)
Date: October 25, 2011 08:58PM

Eugene on the #7 I will be fishing a 7 & 8 line as well as a shooting head. I am not targeting a specific fish, but I do and hopefully intend to come up against larger specimens.

I will probably use less guides on the Dancraft #2 I will start after I fish the #7.

Would 8 guides on the #2 then suffice if the static test agrees?

Thanks,

Richard

Date: October 25, 2011 09:37PM

Richard,
The conservative rule of thumb is one guide per foot plus one plus the tip top.
In my book this applies if you plan on loading the rod heavily with stout tippet.
In general for fresh water, where water clarity controls tippet size I'll build with one guide per foot.
If I want casting performance and am willing to sacrifice loss of fish fighting ability at peak loads I'll drop to one guide per foot minus one.

Conservative build 9' rod 10 guides (Heavy build)
Performance build 9' rod 9 guides (Medium build)
High performance with reduced load 9' rod with 8 guides (Light build)

I've had very good acceptance using high performance builds where the fishing required very accurate casts with light tippets.
Midge fishing is very technically challenged and is enhanced with this type of build.
You really can't apply much pressure with hook sizes smaller than #20.

How much pressure is applied to the blank is under the control of the angler. Much of my fishing is "Catch and Release". I don't require trophies and if the fish "Win" sometimes that's quite alright. The "Fun" for me ends when I can get the fish to take, after that I've released too many trophy fish to be concerned with a "long line" release. Allows me to make another cast and perhaps entice another fish to the take.
Match your build to the technique and style you wish to enjoy.
Enjoy yourself. Walk on new soil and learn what you're capable of achieving.

Eugene Moore

Date: October 26, 2011 01:47AM

Eugene,

As soon as the rain stops, I will do some more testing and see what results I get.

Thanks again,

Richard

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 26, 2011 08:37AM

I have had st croix 2 pc 9 ft 7 wts with single foot wire guides as runners and it cast excellent
Single foot guides have less weight for the rod to handle because of only one foot of thread and finish
Titanium single foot fly's and Minima's are also some thing to conceder

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster