I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Color Preserver
Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wch2ks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 17, 2011 08:44PM

The other day I had to replace a guide on a rod that I had built about two years ago. I noticed that when I cut down into the threads and pealed them back the CP had not penetrated down through to the rod. In fact the bottom of the threads were just as if I hadn't used anything at all. I thought that I was using a good CP. Now I know that I didn't pack the threads so tight that something couldn't soak through. I'm using Madeira thread and I usually do at least 3 coats of CP and let it dry 24 hrs. before putting the finish on. I'm not going to mention the brand that I use just in case it was my fault. If anybody could tell what brand of CP for sure penetrates I would appreciate it.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Color Preserver
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 17, 2011 09:01PM

Maderia thread is treated with silicone and that could be part of the reason the CP didn't get ll the way through to the blank. Your CP wasn't at fault, however, it's not absolutely necessary that it penetrate to the blank.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns10.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 18, 2011 12:59AM

Hi Terry,
I use Madeira on most of my builds, including guide wraps and don't have any problems. Did a test a while back, to see the colour difference of light coloured thread with and without cp. Without cp the thread became translucent and looked like it wasn't packed properly. Also wrapped of couple of single foot guides without locking wraps, one had cp one didn't. Let the finish dry for a week and then tried to pull the guides out with a pair of pliers. Couldn't get either guide out with a straight pull, had to wiggle them around to get the epoxy to crack. I was surprisede to find the guide with the cp took a lot more wiggling to get it out than the one without. The finish penetration through the thread and around the guide foot was also better. I expected it to be the other way round. Admittedly it was only a one off test and you might get different results with more tests. I put three coats of Threadmaster cp on the test wrap and some thread in the finish mix to prevent fisheyes.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Bruce Vetre (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2011 08:51AM

I don't know what type of color preserver you used, but some of the water based products can be thinned with water for that first coat. I don't use it too much, but when I do, I always thin it first. The thinner it is, the easier it will penetrate

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: October 18, 2011 10:37AM

When you thin a color preserver, any penetration that occurs is water not the actual solids which coats the thread and preserves the color. Simply apply the color preserver as it is and if necessary apply two or three coats and allow it to dry between coats. If you do, you will not have a problem with the CP. I also advise using a toothpick, a fly tying bodkin or a needle to drip CP down into the tunnels along the side of the feet of the guide.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 18, 2011 01:31PM

if you thin it only about 20 % it still works but put on at least three coats I put a coat on and you can see when it starts to set up buy the color of the thread then another two

Then I turn buy hand and add a good bit on each side of the guides over the channel and let it soak in

let dry overnight well

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2011 01:33PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 18, 2011 05:00PM

After you put on the first coat of CP and let it dry I doubt if much of the second or third coat would penetrate through the first coat to the blank. I usually put a heavier wet coat on the wraps for the first coat and then lighten up on the second. I also use a dental pick or tooth pick to apply a drop of CP to each guide foot tunnel. I have built only about 20 freshwater spinning rods and I always use CP. I have never had any problems with guide movement on the blank and never have had a guide pull out.

Rog

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wch2ks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 18, 2011 09:04PM

Thanks for your replies. Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster