I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

For those who like to keep the tradition and art of rod building going.
Posted by: Andrew Cake (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 03, 2011 04:35PM

First I want to start of by thanking Bret of ( Carolina Custom Rods ) for all his help and dedication to helping me become a rod builder. He is truely devoted and proactive to spreading his knowlege of building rods to others soley for his passion of rod building. For all those out there doing the same, thank you very much. "WE" new builders young and old, appreciate it very much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: For those who like to keep the tradition and art of rod building going.
Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2011 05:24PM

That's what is funny, I hear all this talk about how secretive it was back in the day. Really not to long ago!! I understand the mind set in being protective about stuff but today with the internet there are no secrets!! Though with people like Tom who spend who knows how much time putting together the show and magazine and dealing with the site the sharing thing has to happen.I don't know what I would have done if there was no RBO or HP show or RBM. I might still be fumbling around in my basement trying to figure stuff out!!

I know first hand.. I started building( and in fact went to the High Point show before I ever spun a rod for real ) and a year or so later met Billy Vivona and the NERB guys at High Point. They treated me like an equal no matter my knowledge! I have since just being a part of the group learned so much and have seen people learn so much just from the little bit of info that is shared. One of the first things Billy said to me was.." Were the NERBS we share info about rod building with others" Hmmmmmm Brilliant Idea!!

I think these are the reasons rod building is as popular as it is now! People like Bret mentioned above and Billy and certainly Tom have made it an effort to get this info into the hands of people! It is first and foremost a hobby (even if you make a living at it..) that you could stop tommorrow but the friends made are for a lifetime. I've been into alot of things and never met people like I have met in the rod building hobby/industry.

Date: October 03, 2011 09:50PM

Yeah I cant wait to attend my first expo in 2012. and get to some of these events I keep hearing about!

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: October 04, 2011 08:49AM

It was secretive back int he day (70's ad 80's), not because it was a conspiracy, but because there was no internet (Thank you Al Gore). When I got started, it was difficult to learn as I had to order books, travel many states to find my Mentors, etc. No email, no forums, no pictures. I feel the problem with todays wealth of information on the net is actually too much information. Too much of people that have no real experience posting incorrect information and others doing research and following in their footsteps. But, thats part of learning. Make the mistakes and learn from them vs. reading and reading and reading and not doing, doing, doing.

Enjoy it folks. Its a craft that will treat you well!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 04, 2011 09:10AM

Kevin, it's scary some of the stuff people recommend. I also learned reading books which gave me a strong knowledge base right off the bat. I then found forums and attended seminars, and did a TON of trial and lots of error. Far too many people EXPECT you to share your knowledge and error with them, many do not even acknowledge with a thank you.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: October 04, 2011 10:54AM

You are correct Billy, and I guess even I have been remiss in thanking you for your input on the Hercules blanks and other stuff! Hopefully I can return the favor someday! IMHO, the proper course of action should be 1) Read the book(s), try it, ask questions and then continue trying. It absolutely drives me batty when I get the email saying "I read on XYZ that I should do this or that", and they refuse to put the thread to blank and try! I can't tell you how many "mistake" blanks I have thrown int he corner with mistakes that were easier to abandon than undo! LOL. Its all part of the learning curve!

Kevin

#######
Check out the new website!

www.anglersenvy.com

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 04, 2011 11:12AM

LOL!! Dude, you're polite and always show appreciation. I love getting the same question from teh same person a yer later...I'm like I remember you asking me this a year ago, why don't you remember my answer? lol.

Posted by: Garey Elkins (---.demon.co.uk)
Date: October 04, 2011 02:45PM

Well said Andrew. I have great appreciation for guys that helped me, like Tim Knox, Lance Dupre, Walker Nelson, & Joe Robertson. And all the information I have found scrounging through the forums. I was pretty much internet taught at first and made several phone calls after several mistakes. I don't personally know any builders in south Mississippi. But it was just something that intrigued me after reading war stories of plastic bait makers. I figured with my luck, the worst I could do was stab myself. These guys were always willing to help me out though.

Date: October 05, 2011 09:21AM

HAHA very glad to see the response to this post. I'm glad to see the appreciation from others out there.

Posted by: Bert Winkler (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 05, 2011 09:49AM

I am a nuclear electrical technician and novice rod builder, I can tell you first hand to "Trust but Verify", that is a motto we live by and anyone who takes blanket information as truth is foolish. I also appreciate all who enter and help inform the artist who create these fishing masterpieces! Good to be on board! Remember, Trust but Verify!

Bert (OFC RODS & PLUGS) Crystal River, Fl.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster