I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decorative Wraps Challenge Fall 2011
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 03, 2011 03:17PM

When the NERBs started we did a few challenges – grip inlays and building the best Blackfish rod you can. I’m bringing them back and doing a Dec Wraps challenge. Please note this is NOT A CONTEST, this is to motivate and challenge each builder to do expand their skill set and do something they haven’t done before. Check the site to see details: [northeastrodbuilders.com] Please help spread the word on this, this should be a lot of fun, and I hope each person who participates comes out of it as a little bit of a better builder.

Gatherings – We just had our first Gathering of the 2011-12 Wrapping Season here at my shop. Discussion included how to modify blanks for certain fishing applications, blanks construction, handles, guides, and dec wraps. Many other topics were covered in detail as well. We still have space for the NJ & Mass gatherings on Oct 22 & 29th. Contact me for more details.

Tee shirts & Sweatshirts – I will be ordering NERBs shirts – short sleeve tees $15, long Sleeve $18; Hooded sweatshirts – light pullover $40, heavy pullover or zip up $70. Tell me colors and sizes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decorative Wraps Challenge Fall 2011
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 03, 2011 05:15PM

I really wish I lived up your way......well maybe I actually wished you lived down my way. I could really use some hands on guideance on the fine art of decorative wraps. I find it so tedious, and time consuming, to do a decent closed wrap that I can't bring myself to do enough of them to understand them well enough to "figure out" paterns.

You mentioned Blackfish rods so I'm going to thread steal a bit and take the oppertunity to ask a question if you don't mind. By any chance have you any experience with the Lamiglas TXC841M (tri-flex) blank for that application? Needless to say we don't have Blackfish here, but from what I have heard I always felt the perfect Blackfish rod would make the perfect mutton snapper rod. IIRC you have fished the dry tortugas area. Chances are you caught a few muttons....if you were lucky:) I'm thinking you guys use a little more lead but our fish are a little bigger. Otherwise about the same general fishing style.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2011 05:32PM

You challenging me Billy? It is almost time for me to do my yearly dec wrap!!

Russ, come to the HP show and you can see it all first hand. Worth the every bit!! Once you really do a wrap all the stuff starts to click and it becomes easier. I used to be intimadated by it but now I have the grasp of it I fear it no more. Don't get me wrong I'm not good at it but I also don't do many at all but i understand how it goes. The more you do the faster they go!! Oh and Never be afraid to ask the questions!!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 03, 2011 06:19PM

Russel - this is the point, I get that you have had a hard time in the past, a lot have. Now is hte time to really sit down and try to figure it out. You need help? Well use the forum and post questions, an dI'll do everything I can to answer them and get you through the process. hopefully you and many other will learn and be able to get some wraps on your rods in teh future after this.

Regarding the blanks - I designed hte HErcules for a reason, I didn't like the other blanks available to us. Muttons that I caught were in the Tortugas so I'm spoiled. We had a morning bite where all the fish were 15# +, I have the 15# fis and I was upset because it was "so small", everyone laughed. The Inshore Heavy I think is the perfect blank for Muttons down there,30-60# and a ton of power ot move the fish

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster