I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spot Finish?
Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 09, 2011 04:12PM

I put the second and final coat of finish on guide wraps. I discovered I missed 2 spots, about the size of the "O" in the word photo (above) or a little larger. Is there a way to put finish on just those spots without redoing the entire wrap? I have them looking the way I like and I don't want to mess them up with another coat of finish. I need better lighting above my table.
Bruce

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spot Finish?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 09, 2011 06:26PM

No

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 09, 2011 06:28PM

If the epoxy hasn't setup yet you can add with a little heat and blend it in but I'm guessing you're past that point. One thing I have done on the past is re epoxy the section that the 'O' is in but only extend the epoxy to the nearest change in thread or where the section meets the blank. If you make the transition right on the color change it will be very hard to notice that one section has another coat. I'm sure others will chime in with other ideas. Good Luck

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: September 09, 2011 10:06PM

I have had that happen to me also. I ended up mixing up a small batch of finish and then put a thin coat on the wrap. Mine was on a guide so I just re-coated the whole guide.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: September 09, 2011 10:31PM

Thanks. I guess the easiest way to fix it is to put a thin coat of finish on the wrap. Just wondering if there was a quick fix, but I guess a thin coat of finish is easy enough, too. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 09, 2011 11:13PM

Bruce,
The issue is that when you put a "spot" of finish on a wrap or guide, the "spot" of finish will show up as a spot on the rod.

Roger

Date: September 10, 2011 06:23AM

OK. Thanks. I understand. I'll just put on a thin coat of finish.

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: September 12, 2011 04:06PM

Bruce,
How did the repair take? It sounds to me like you had a reaction to contamination known as a fish eye. If you still notice a circle in the third coat you should let it completely dry, scuff the entire wrap and pay special attention to scuffing the depths of the fish eye, wipe with DNA and recoat. I was having this issue with Flex Coat lite, not on the first coat but on the second coat. I have no idea why the contamination effected the second coat and not the first or how it was getting contaminated between coats. It was happening more than it should so I switched to Pro Kote and have not had a single reaction.

Date: September 12, 2011 06:09PM

Hi Jim. I can see clearly they are just places I missed with the second coat of finish. I haven't repaired it yet. I want to make sure it sets up so I don't make a bigger mess. If it happens on the third coat I'll let you know. I really hope they're not fish eyes.
Thanks,
Bruce

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 12, 2011 08:45PM

I wouldn't wipe with alcohol or anything before applying finish as it can cause contamination by leaving a residue. Simply brush off

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: September 13, 2011 01:02PM

Bruce Tomaselli Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Jim. I can see clearly they are just places I
> missed with the second coat of finish. I haven't
> repaired it yet. I want to make sure it sets up so
> I don't make a bigger mess. If it happens on the
> third coat I'll let you know. I really hope
> they're not fish eyes.
> Thanks,
> Bruce

Bruce,
If you have epoxy all the way around the wrap execpt in a small, almost perfectly shapped "O", that is a fisheye. How could you miss and area shapped like an "O", it would be a streak. Scuff the affected finish, wipe with DNA and a coffe filter and recoat. I've repaired fisheyes this way. Don't worry about residue, you should be wiping the entire blank and guide feet down with DNA before building or it can cause this very issue, . DNA can be used to thin epoxy finish mixtures, if it had contaminents you couldn't do that. Did you use a flame on your finish to bust bubbles?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2011 01:44PM by JIM MOWL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster