I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Wrappers
Posted by: Ken Brenner (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: September 07, 2011 06:58PM

I am new to Rod Building. I am interested in purchasing or building a rod wrapper. In my searching I can upon the ECO Wrapper, looked at the videos and read up about it on the website. I would like to know if the many benifits of the ECO Wrapper is worth having and advantagous to the rod builder\wrapper? Since I am just getting started I have no experience to draw a conclusion. I looks impressive but not sure if it is over kill or truely a useful product that adds value to rod building.

thanx ken

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Wrappers
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 07, 2011 07:07PM

It's a truly useful product. Clyde displays the EcoWrapper at the Expo each year and has many satisfied customers. I'm sure some of them will chime in here shortly.

Of course, there are many good hand wrappers on the market. The EcoWrapper is just one of them, with a few unique twists.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 07, 2011 07:16PM

I am one of the very satisfied customers using the Eco Wrapper. The features are all well thought out and usable. The quality of construction is excellent as well. The best hand wrapper I have evr used!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 07, 2011 08:52PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am one of the very satisfied customers using the
> Eco Wrapper. The features are all well thought
> out and usable. The quality of construction is
> excellent as well.

DITTO!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 07, 2011 09:58PM

I agree with Phil and Raymond. I am very happy with the Eco Wrapper, I just added the light/ magnifier to my unit , what a differance... If you do decide on the Eco Wrapper spend the extra for that feature, you won't be sorry.... <<<<DON>>>>

<<<<DON>>>>
Fort Myers Fla.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2011 10:03PM by Donald Newenhouse.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 07, 2011 10:33PM

Check out the photo page on wrappers that builders have made

I myself see no advantage to it it

They are very simple to make your own

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 08, 2011 10:01AM

I wrap as a hobby not a business. I purchased a Pac Bay wrapper which works well but was probably over kill. Looking at the Ecowrapper I would probably be better off with it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2011 11:19AM

Ken,
If you want a hand wrapper, it is pretty tough to beat 2 v blocks mounted on a board and a thread tension device that slides along the board behind the v block mounting board.
The total cost to build such a wrapper is about $5.

Then you can go up from there.

Roger

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2011 11:23AM

One of the local - high volume rod shops have a 15 foot long by 6 foot wide table for rod wrapping.

There are two plastic 4 inch wide boards that are mounte to each side of the table.

The shop uses simple v-blocks lines with felt mounted on pieces of Corian counter top material to hold the rods. They have simple thread tension devices that hold the thread and slide along the plastic board behind the v-blocks.

With the 4 wrappers that use the table, they build several thousand rods every year.

You don't have to be fancy, or exotic to have a very effective rod building system.

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2011 12:58PM

I made mine, all it took was a 1 by 6, a scroll saw (or any saw really, just happen to have a scroll) and a little felt. Cost me about 5 bucks and works very well. Before that I used a cardboard box, also works well. In fact I have a cardboard box set up for those times when I feel like doing some work while watching tv with the kids. No doubt some of the wrappers offered out there are nice but if you're not making a lot of rods it may not be worth the price.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: September 08, 2011 02:59PM

That looks like an awesome wrapper...I am sure it will work very well for you but I built mine for about $30.00. Here's a pic:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Rich Olson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2011 04:56PM

I checked out the Vids on the Eco-Wrapper site... looks pretty nice and has some very cool features.

I just replaced my old homemade wrapper (which served me well for many years) just a few months ago.
I am on a tight budget right now, so I made my new one out of wood I picked up from the cull pile at the local
Home Depot. Total cost was about $15, including the hardware.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

~ Rich

Posted by: Ken Brenner (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: September 09, 2011 06:02PM

Thanks for all the help guys. The information you provided me will help me make up my mind.

Ken

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster