I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
invoicing
Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: September 02, 2011 09:51AM

Just wondering how you invoice a rod to your customer.
Do you list every compenent used in the build or just describe the finished product?
I dont keep an inventory of compenents other than thread and epoxies.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: invoicing
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 02, 2011 10:10AM

Jim,
Every business is different.
I would think you would want to at least the blank, guides and reel seat used on the build.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: . Douglas Webb (---.sub-75-220-109.myvzw.com)
Date: September 02, 2011 10:16AM

Jim, your email is hidden otherwise I would attach and send you what I use. I is a Customer Order form I made up and lists all components and customer and builder notes. I keep all this info for future reference.

Doug Webb

Posted by: Brian Bishop (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 02, 2011 10:42AM

Doug,

If its not a problem, I would like to see your format.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 02, 2011 10:44AM

I list out components & any additional things we talked about, then give my grand total at the bottom.
I don't price it by the piece.

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: September 02, 2011 10:58AM

I had a build compenents and pricing invoice on a spread sheet but I wanted numbered, duplicate invoices so I just bought a standard blank invoicing pad. I just describe the end product as they would in a catlogue i.e St Croix SCIII 9' spinning rod. Since I don't keep an inventory, at least from a business standpoint, of compenents so if I were ever audited I can pull the customer invoice and match it with the packing slip from the supplier. I started this for enjoyment and relaxation and hopefully a little brake on some property taxes and such, if it begins to feel like work I'll end it in a hart beat.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: September 02, 2011 11:09AM

Doug,

Would you send it to me also????????????????

bkcustomrods@yahoo.com

Thank-you

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 02, 2011 11:25AM

Doug W. I think you have something going here.. I also would like a copy of the customer order form that you use .. Very much appreciated : Thanks' <<<<DON>>>>
doctordew@embarqmail. com

Posted by: . Douglas Webb (---.sub-75-220-109.myvzw.com)
Date: September 02, 2011 11:33AM

Is there a way to attach a form like this here??? I could just do that and anyone who likes it can use it. It's pretty basic but it has worked well for me.

Doug Webb

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 02, 2011 11:39AM

Doug, Post it on the Photo Page as a jpg and anyone will be able to save and print it. If you want, I will post it for you if you send it to me

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: September 02, 2011 11:42AM

List all the parts and prices. Might seem like a pain now but a lot of custom customers don't know what goes into a custom rod, cork, blank, epoxy, finish, rod dryer time, color preserver etc...

Buzz

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.2.96.216.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 02, 2011 01:07PM

I keep records on a build sheet that I got from this website; all the specific details. Have a Word template I worked up for an invoice, and there I just list the basics (spinning, casting) and usually the type blank.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 02, 2011 03:19PM

If I'm selling a rod, I list the rod.

I've never bought a complete product that listed the parts. Can you imagine the invoice that would come with a car of every part was listed?

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.169.popsite.net)
Date: September 02, 2011 04:02PM

JIM MOWL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had a build compenents and pricing invoice on a
> spread sheet but I wanted numbered, duplicate
> invoices so I just bought a standard blank
> invoicing pad. I just describe the end product as
> they would in a catlogue i.e St Croix SCIII 9'
> spinning rod. Since I don't keep an inventory, at
> least from a business standpoint, of compenents so
> if I were ever audited I can pull the customer
> invoice and match it with the packing slip from
> the supplier. I started this for enjoyment and
> relaxation and hopefully a little brake on some
> property taxes and such, if it begins to feel like
> work I'll end it in a hart beat.

Jim,

The next step would have been to use a work book (Excel). The first sheet becomes the customer's purchase order. The second is the shipping document to be sent along with the merchandise and the third is the invoice. you can embed graphics (logos), add tables to do look ups for drop downs. Selected information automatically transfers and is modified as needed between the sheets. Rename the sheets from 1, 2, 3 to Purchase Order, Shipping, Invoice. The issue will remain regarding documentation for uncle. It would be appropriate to print and file the invoice. Of course the usual items apply such as keeping it friendly.

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Patrick Lloyd (165.129.4.---)
Date: September 02, 2011 05:25PM

I 'KEEP' an 11x17 spreadsheet(that I seem to tweek constantly) of all the vitals of a build/repair in a customer file. I have plenty of room on the back to make notes and I fold it into an handy 8 1/2 x 11 when done.

I have a very simple invoice. I don't like to list to much and so far have no complaints. My spreadsheet has a number I match to the invoice. The invoice of course has a carbon copy.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 02, 2011 05:48PM

When I invoice clients, I simply list the blank used and the total due.

This is no different than any of the finished rod catalogs, or other items that any consumer would purchase.

As one of the previous posts mentioned - suppose that an auto manufacturer listed all of the parts in an automobile for the clients bill of sale. It would really make no sense.

The same is really true for custom rod building.

===
Now, it certainly is a good idea for a shop to keep track of components for internal bookkeeping, as well as a tickle file for component reordering, but I see little reason that the customer be privy to these details.

Roger

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 02, 2011 09:02PM

Question for those of you who list the components on the invoice. If you price each component, what price do you use?......your cost or list price?

I list all the component specs on my build order, but limit what I put on the invoice to a discription of the finished rod (including blank name and model).

Posted by: Don Morse (99.150.143.---)
Date: September 02, 2011 09:19PM

I just list "Custom Whatever name Fishing Rod" and if there is special touches say like a feather inlay or marbling or a weave I would list that as well
example one I just invoiced says " Custom 6'6" X-camo fishing rod with feather inlay and weaved initials GOF". I don't want a customer to stumble
upon a vendor site and wonder why they are being charged a higher amount when they can by it for X amount......would rather avoid the headache.

But I do keep a detailed list with cost and resale of each component in my files

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2011 09:23PM by Don Morse.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 03, 2011 12:01AM

I posted a pic of the document that I use [www.rodbuilding.org] Any logo can be exchanged with the one on it. I add a photo of rod on page 2 print out a copy for customer and save a copy on my computer with the clients name. It's a Word document so I fill it out on the computer, If you want a copy of the Word file, holler mbarkley@wowway.com

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: . Douglas Webb (---.sub-75-249-154.myvzw.com)
Date: September 03, 2011 08:55AM

Hello All,
I will take this space to make a final comment and observation on this topic: I almost wish I was not the first one to answer Jim's question. However, please let me clarify my position/circumstance on this topic. I only build a few rods a month and will continue in this manner until I end this second career, which I hope to do soon. So, with the limited number of rods I build completing the form I use does not take that much time and most of my customers like having it. I can see where listing the cost of the components could present problems. For me it has been simple; I charge a set or agreed upon amount for labor. I list all components at what I pay for them. Even though I have been building for some time I have only somewhat recently become active in sites like this as well as the Rod builders guild. I sure wish I had done it sooner and thoroughly enjoy the exchanges of information and knowledge that I gain. My intent in my answer was not to say this is how one should do this but rather this is how I do it and if it helps you fine, if it does not don't use it. I do believe there is a minor difference in listing the components of a rod versus that of an automobile.

What I find interesting in this thread is that it somewhat demonstrates how young the rod building community is in terms of becoming a cohesive group of craftsmen and codifying many of our procedures and functions. I am not speaking to the artistic aspect but rather the administrative aspect of our craft. That a question such as Jim's illicit s the range of responses demonstrates the wide range of opinions and practices across the spectrum of rod builders. I am not trying to make any big point here, I just find it interesting and it makes me think about how disparate our practices are and on the other hand how similar we are regarding the artistic and functional aspect of what we do. That's about all I have to say on this topic. Thanks to All

Doug Webb

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster