I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

10ft Gator glass 80-130lb
Posted by: irving garza (---.static.meriplex.com)
Date: August 30, 2011 04:46PM

Hey guys, I am building a 10ft 80-130lb gator blank from mudhole and needed to know what guide spacing I should do. The butt length is about 22inches. I will be using the following guides
25-20-16-12-12-12-12-12-12 and a 26 tip. Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2011 04:47PM by irving garza.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 10ft Gator glass 80-130lb
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 30, 2011 04:58PM

Here's a good place to start if you want to learn how to do it on your own:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Glen Hendricks (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 30, 2011 07:11PM

the best way I do it, I do my butt wrap then flex coat then put on my grips and my real seat.
Then glue the tip on. Then I take my PENN No.9 and put it on my real seat,
the reason I use my PEEN 9 is because it has the little center post in the spool.
I take all my guides and run the string through them like if they are supposed to be.
large to small. Then I prop the rod about at a 45 degree then put about 25 lbs of weight on the end of the string
to where it will bow the blank, then I start taping the guides to the blank, spacing them to where
the string is right off the blank. This usally works pretty good for me. That way when your fighting
a big fish your line isn't touching the rod just the guides. I'm no expert, but this how I do mine.
Hope this helps..

Glen

I Was Born Without Gills, Therefore I Fish!
Love The Wife! Live Long! Fish Till You Die!

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.sip.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 30, 2011 09:41PM

Like Glenn (and like the link Tom provided), I also use static distribution to space my guides. With a 10' 80-130 blank I doubt anyone will actually be able to give you an "experienced" guide spacing anyway. That's a pretty unusual blank for most of us. I assume it's for a very specific application?

I take the approach of finding out what # test line will be used on the rod. I then take a lever drag reel and set the strike to 1/3 the breaking strength of the line. At that point I place the rod in a holder, push the lever drag to "FULL" and pull off line until the drag slips. Under this pressure I adjust my guides so that the line does not touch the blank and has a flow that I'm happy with.

Whatever the heaviest drag pressure that will be used in conjunction with the rod is...that (plus a little extra) should be used for your static distribution test. On heavy rods where big, and sometimes expensive, fish are on the other end you want to be sure you set up for the extremes.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 31, 2011 12:25AM

I never heard of such a heavy ten foot rod. What is it used for?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 31, 2011 01:32AM

Shark blank.

Posted by: irving garza (---.static.meriplex.com)
Date: August 31, 2011 10:07AM

thanks guys. I will be experimenting with the guide placements. Oh yeah it is a shark blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster