I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

surf rod blanks
Posted by: Joe Dietrich (---.sub-75-247-12.myvzw.com)
Date: August 30, 2011 05:13PM

I would like to build a rod that is easy to load, has a sensitive tip, can cast 3or 4 oz. a long way and has enough backbone to handle a large fish in heavy current. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: surf rod blanks
Posted by: mark crouse (---.unassigned.ntelos.net)
Date: August 30, 2011 09:38PM

Hi Joe
13 ft. 2 pc 3-4LBS Carp blanks.
Best regards Mark Crouse- The Munich Rod Man

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.169.popsite.net)
Date: August 30, 2011 10:52PM

Two great choices are the Lamiglas GSB 156 2M and GSB 168 2ML.

GSB 156 2M, 13', Lure 3 to 5 ounces
GSB 168 2ML, 14' Lure 2 to 4 ounces
The backbone is excellent.
The tip is moderate fast

GSB blanks are usually easy casting.
I have cast the prototypes for both of these rods to 200 yards. Casting to about 175 is easy. Reaching 200 takes (me) some persistence.

The 168 is being sold in Hawaii and is not yet listed nationally. You could purchase from a tackle shop in Hawaii, buy directly from Lamiglas, or do a special order from a tackle shop in your area. The 156 is listed nationally.

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 31, 2011 11:10AM

Batson Sur 1385 or 1386 Both are great Blanks. I have two 1386's and have built 5-6 for other people here for large Striped bass

Posted by: Joe Dietrich (---.sub-75-250-19.myvzw.com)
Date: August 31, 2011 06:40PM

Thank you for your reply. The GSB156 is in the G1000 series. I am familiar with these and like them very much. However the 156 seems a little lite. How would you compare it with the ISU132MH?

Date: August 31, 2011 11:32PM

Model, Length, Sections, Line, Lure, Butt Diameter, Average weight
ISU 132 2MH, 11’, 2, 17-40, 3-8, .920, 9, 7 ¼
GSB 156 2M, 13’, 2, 25, 2-5, 1.065, 9, 14 1/8

Hi Joe,
These two blanks are really in different categories. I did not have two blanks to compare and compared a finished GSB 156 2M against a ISU 132 2MH blank. The first check I did was to put the handles on my shoulders with the tips together on the carpet and bear down gently. Initially, the tip of the 156 was softer than the 132. As I continued the 132 started to bend more into the center of the blank while the 156 was more powerful (less bend) with the increased force.

Here are some numbers that may be of help. As I did not have two blanks to measure, they may seem a little random. The numbers are the diameters of the blank or rod in mm.

Distance from butt (in inches), GSB 156 2M, ISU 132 2MH
14” – 24.9 – 20.3
28” – 23.1 – 18.4
40” –21.3 – 16.4
55” – 19.5 – 14.1
72” – 17.3 – 12.7
94” – 15.6 – 9.3
108” – 12.7 – 7.4
132” – 7.7 – 4.6
144” – 5.8
155” – 4.1

“ However the 156 seems a little lite. How would you compare it with the ISU132MH?”
The 156 is longer, easier casting, and has a stronger backbone. If you are looking at the lure ratings, I believe they could be a little misleading. The 156 is good in the 3 to 5 ounce casting range.

Hope this helps,
Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Joe Dietrich (---.sub-75-250-13.myvzw.com)
Date: September 02, 2011 08:16PM

Since I am fishing from a bank not a beach that blank is too long. Other than that I am totally confused. I was more concerned about the line rating than the lure weight. I started checking my rods and there seems to be no relation between rod rating and there ability to handle fish. I have a berkley IM-7 that is rated extra heavy and is wimpy inspite of it being rated 2-8 oz and 20-80lb.test. I also have a Loomis that is rated 1-5oz. 15-40 lb test and casts like a dream but is also wimpy with a decent fish. The Kenai KIng Killer and Force seem to be the calliber of rod I would like in both quickness and the ability to handle a decent fish. Do they make a blank of that type in a longer surf rod? The best rod I have is a Breakaway, but is a little slower than I would like. I do not know which blank. Can you recomend some book that explains the physics behind rod building so I can be able to converse on an intelegent level?

Date: September 03, 2011 12:09AM

Line vs lure vs power

Two quotes from the Lamiglas website:

“Lure ratings provide a range of lure weights in which optimum performance is achieved. Using a lure that is lighter than the listed weight will not properly load the rod, casting distance and sensitivity will suffer. Using a lure that is heavier than the listed weight will overpower the rod. Again, distance and sensitivity will suffer, along with the compounded problem of overstressing the blank fibers.”

“The individual characteristics built into each and every Lamiglas rod highlight the rod’s intended use. As a part of that, the strength and flex of the blank is balanced to the recommended line ratings. A Lamiglas rod is rated so that when the rod is held at a 45-degree angle or less, line within the rating will break before the rod does. Angles greater than 45-degrees transfer undue stress to the tip section of the rod (practically eliminating the ability of the stronger butt section to carry any load), and in extreme cases can result in rod failure with as little as 2 pounds of directed pressure. It is not only proper use that requires a rod angle of 45-degrees or less, but this is also the area where you’ll find the greatest power from the rod and best control over the fish.”

Power is often dependent upon the rods intended use. The same rod used for two different species would have different power ratings.

“The best rod I have is a Breakaway, but is a little slower than I would like.”
Could you identify the blank/rod?

“casts like a dream but is also wimpy with a decent fish”
Some manufactures try to appease customer’s desire for slim handles. To accomplish this task the wall thickness must be increased. This results in a heavier handle that is more bendable.

Here are a couple of blanks that may meet your needs. The prices will be higher than the ISU or GSB blanks.
SSU 120 2MH, 10’, 2 sections, line 17-40, lure 2-6, diameter .968, tip 7.5, weight 7 11/16
SSU 132 2MH, 11’, 2 sections, line 20-40, lure 4-8, diameter 1.080, tip 8, weight 10 3/16

A desire was stated to cast a long distance. As such, the rod lure ratings lowest end should be approximately the desired casting weight. The ISU 132 2MH, SSU 132 2MH, or possibly the GSB 132 2M would be good choices for an 11 foot rod to cast 4 ounces the best distance. For optimum distance, the effective length of the rod and response of the tip (and handle) are important. The effective length is the length from the tip to the butt during the cast. This will determine lure velocity. Response will be the unloading of stored energy of the rod into generating the lures final velocity and starting the spool (for a conventional reel).

“Can you recommend some book that explains the physics behind rod building so I can be able to converse on an intelligent level?”
Not really. I feel that the skills and craftsmanship of the designer are paramount in construction. For some dated but relevant information you may want to obtain a digital copy of “The Beach Fisherman’s Tackle Guide” by John Holden.

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Joe Dietrich (---.sub-69-99-168.myvzw.com)
Date: September 04, 2011 02:06PM

I believe the Breakaway is made with a Batson RX7 blank.
SSU132MH 11' 20 -40 line 4-8oz. 8 tip 103/16 oz.
GSB132M 11' 20-40 line 3-8oz 11tip 10/8 oz.
ISU132MH 11' 17-40line 3-8oz. 9 tip 7 1/4 oz..
I realize you get what you pay for and that the SSU is the best blank, I just don't understand why. I also like the fact that the Lamiglas rod that is made for braided line uses this blank. I generally use 65lb. power pro or tuff line. Would this put too much strain on this blank?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster