I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
my pacbay thread carriage
Posted by: Bill Jovanovski (---.hdcz1.win.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 24, 2011 05:58AM

Hi all,

I received my pacbay rod wrapper today and after putting it together I noticed that the thread carriage doesnt seem to fit propertly in the rail. It pops out when it is moved sideways. I tried to do a little wrap but the whole carriage wobbles and I have to be very so carefull not pop it out of position.

Has anyone else has experienced this as Im sure if the product is faulty or are they all like that. The carriage doesnt seem to glide nicely. Also, being from Australia, I purchased the 240v version. I notice that there is no power plug which goes into the wall. There are exposed wires where the plug should be. Is this normal?

Also the rod dryer state 36rpm. Shouldnt it be 11rpm as stated in the instruction manual? Im a little confused.

Im thinking of sending the carriage back. Not sure what to do at this stage. I dont anyone who has the same wrapper so I can test my thread carriage on another wrapper base.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2011 06:46AM by Bill Jovanovski.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: my pacbay thread carriage
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 24, 2011 08:23AM

I have a pac bay wrapper a rw-xl, everything should be wired up and you should be able to start wrappng as soon as you put it all together, the carriage should move down the rails smoothly, at least mine does, I would contact the place where you bought it and let them know about the wireing and the carriage, I myself would of taken it back and got another one. Tight lines.

Posted by: Walt Stock (---.dtccom.net)
Date: August 24, 2011 09:39AM

It's not uncommon for manufactures to ship their 240V items without an AC Plug as so many countries have different style receptacles.

Hope things get worked out for you.

Cheers

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 24, 2011 10:34AM

I really dont like my thread carriage on it too. its not very good. ive had way to many problems with it. try loosening the screws on the bottom of the thread carriage once you take it off of the wrapper. mine is very wobbly too. sometimes it bounces up and down. ive had to redo a lot of guide wraps because of it. i wish they made a thread carriage like the one for the renzetti.

Posted by: Scott Brown (---.sub-75-252-110.myvzw.com)
Date: August 24, 2011 11:25AM

Make sure the rollers are in the track instead of under it. It will work either way but is much looser and jumps around quite a bit if it is not installed correctly:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 24, 2011 01:16PM

mine still seems to lean towards me. and if i push it back it falls back towards me again. any idea how to stop that?

Posted by: Scott Brown (---.sub-75-252-110.myvzw.com)
Date: August 24, 2011 02:01PM

If all the rollers are in the track you may still be able to adjust them. I had one that was hard to get aligned when i first assembled it but after I got it in it will self feed with no problem on the tiger wraps.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 24, 2011 08:48PM

Bill,
Sometimes the best thing to do is to cut your lossess, return the carriage and build your own.

Generally speaking, it is not difficult to make a great thread carriage.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.c3-0.avec-ubr1.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: August 24, 2011 11:31PM

Rog could elaboRate on this a little more???

Date: August 25, 2011 04:50AM

Hi all and thanks for your replies. I have tried several times to align the carriage correctly but it still comes off the tracks. As roger said I can cut my loses and just make my own. It seem to me that the way the rollers are sligtly too small. Has anyone made their own and adapted it to a pacpay and are there any rollers that would suit. Im thinking of getting getting some roller that are slightly bigger to stop them from slipping out.

In the meantime I might send mine back and to see if another one is a better fit. Worth a shot.

Also, the dryer motor says 36rpm. Shouldnt it be 11rpm?.

Ive attached a photo of the missing power adapter and motor
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Cheers

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: August 25, 2011 07:35AM

Hello Bill

If you look at the parts section for the wrapper in MudHole you will see it is supposed to be 36RPM (PWP1-220).

Good luck with the carriage, mine was in the trough when I got it and I had to re-align it like in Scott's photo, now it works fine.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Doug Cox (74.206.84.---)
Date: August 25, 2011 05:26PM

The difference in both pulley sizes should put your drying speed around 10 revolutions a minute.

Date: August 26, 2011 04:59AM

I tried re-aligning many times to no avail. I removed the middle roller and added another one which sits under the rail. works now. At least it doesnt slip out now.

As for the dryer, forgot about the big pully which would slow it down, as Doug stated.

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 26, 2011 10:09AM

I have had the same exact problem with the thread carriage coming out. The three wheels are straight and with the grooves in them can become dislodged very easily when carriage tilts(due to weight of the spools). Wish the middle wheel was offset a smidge to give a tighter fit. Has anyone tried a different carriage? I called AM Tack. and never really got anywhere but was probably more my fault for not following up or pushing the issue.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 26, 2011 10:55AM

Don't you mean PacBay

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 26, 2011 11:10AM

Bill,
A search of the forum picutres using "thread carriage" as a search parameter reveals many solutions to the thread carriage issue.
These are all examples of carriages that folks use when wrapping rods.

If any apply - use their ideas.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 26, 2011 11:13AM

Todd
The "old style" thread carriage - the one with upright pegs & sewing machine tensioner does exactly that. The center wheel is slightly movable. I enlarged the center wheel attachment point for some additional tightening. The new carriage (with horizontal tensioning ) unfortunately doesn't allow that as the fastening screws don't go through the platform.

Date: August 26, 2011 12:08PM

Unless it is user error why should he have to

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Scott Brown (---.sub-75-246-26.myvzw.com)
Date: August 26, 2011 12:53PM

Bill I am pretty sure the Pac Bay and the American tackle are the same carriage if not the same wrapper with different stickers.

Date: August 26, 2011 02:33PM

OK fine

But still no one should have to fix some thing they bought If it don't work the company should fix it

Bill - willierods.com

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster