I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Glueing Cork strips ?
Posted by: Jeff Davis (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 22, 2011 01:43PM

I did a few searches and couldn't come up with anything helpful.
I'm in the process of gathering up all the material to glue up and turn my own cork handles. I've gotten the cork and need to know what you guys concider the best agent to bond the sheets together. It's going to be several strips of different color cork glued into blocks and turned down to produce and inlaid pattern. I'd like to know which adhesive works best, sands well & shows the least "if at all" after turning / sanding.
Thanks, I know I'll get the best info here.
Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glueing Cork strips ?
Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 22, 2011 01:52PM

Most seem to prefer Tite Bond III wood glue for gluing up cork rings. I would think it will be fine for sheets of thin cork too.
It doesn't create a hard or thick glue line. I butter one side only.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 22, 2011 02:08PM

If you have rod bond no need to get any thing else

A very thin coat and it works well

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 22, 2011 02:13PM

I second the TiteBond lll use. It is a waterproof wood glue (cork is wood bark) and makes a thin fast bond if not applied excessively.

Another benefit.....no having to mix it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2011 09:54PM by Phil Erickson.

Date: August 22, 2011 02:37PM

Rod Bond is not water proof ??

I am just saying if you have it why buy another glue -- if you don't have to - Your money

I have glued soles on boots - and fixed a hole in a glass coffee pot lasted for years - until I broke the pot

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 22, 2011 05:33PM

Titebond!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: billy broderick (---.scr.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 22, 2011 06:00PM

I have to agree the only way to go is tight bond III. As stated earlier cork is wood and water proof wood glue is best. Besides if you are really into this hobby you will want wood glue for something later on. I have used Rod Bond and it does work but will leave a very small line. If i am giving advice i would say i use the tightbond III.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 22, 2011 06:47PM

Rod Bond is a bad choice for inlays, it takes way too long to set up. I use contact cement for all my Cork Ellipticals. Titebond works really well and is probably a better choice, just make youre you clamp it. CC allows me to complete the grips quicker since I don't have to wait a while for it to dry, I'm super lazy but I make some kick ass grips. lol.

[northeastrodbuilders.com]

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 22, 2011 06:58PM

I think you should be known as, " Billy The Grip"

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: August 22, 2011 07:06PM

I don't use anything else for cork besides Titebond III. It's much more cost effective verses using Epoxy or Rod Bond type glue also and it's easy to work with.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: August 23, 2011 12:26AM

Billy, when you say "contact cement", are you talking about "model glue"? I had heard you mention this before, but wanted to make sure I'm talking about the same stuff.
Thanks,
Jeff

About the Titebond III, where can I get that if I decide to go that way?
Thanks again......

Date: August 23, 2011 09:48AM

DAP Weldwood contact cememt

home depot, Lowes one of those type stores

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 23, 2011 11:58AM

Bill listed what and where to get the adhesives. MAke sure oyu do not get teh Gel Contact cement. honestly, I shouldn't have mentioned the CC, it's a safer bet using hte Titebond as it is a stronger glue joint. Especailly if oyu do not properly use the contact cement. I hate when people give advice without giving mor einfo, which is exactly what I did. YOu need 2 coats of CC on BOTH pieces, and the glue must be dry before bonding. OYu also have to be careful boring and gluing it up, sinc eit doesn't like ot be stretched, the seams run the rick of poppign open.

I picked up Titebond 3 a few ICRBE's ago from Woodcraft. I assume it's also sold in a hardware store. What are you planning to do with the cork?

Date: August 25, 2011 11:05AM

Billy, it's hard to explain, but my grandfather made and inlayed duck call that I now have and the pattern would be great for grips. I'll post pics as soon as is get something respectable. I'm still tunning the pattern through my head...."duh"! :)
Thanks, I'll thry the titebond.
Jeff

Date: August 25, 2011 11:34AM

Looking forard to seeing the pics. The reason I ask is I might be able to give a hint or tip on how ot make whatever you are making. Have fun, good luck gettin gyour idea laid out in cork!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster