I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First Flyrod Build
Posted by: Robbie Robinson (---.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 17, 2011 01:47PM

I am preparing to build my first flyrod and would appreciate input on the basics and do's and don't's. So far I have built about 25 spinning rods using NGC and #4 fuji micros.
This will be a 9', 7,8 or 9wt fast action (?) for inshore salt water. I am looking at one of the MHX blanks but might also consider a St Croix SCIII, either would be 2 piece. I own an Orvis 4 wt. and a St Croix 6 wt. factory rod to use for basic layout and guide setup but both were bought for fresh water so I anticipate some changes in materials. Are ferrels necessary assuming that 10-12 lb. Reds will be a target? What is a minimum quality reel seat to consider? What would be a basic handle system to use? Uplocking reel seat or down? Fighting butt? Mr Kirkman, in an earlier post, mentioned using a #4 guide then 3's to the end ( if I understood correctly). Ahhhhh..... so many questions. Thanks, Robbie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First Flyrod Build
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: August 17, 2011 02:08PM

Might put the SCII/IV blend on the list. REC guides are worth a look. I'd want a fighting butt and IIRC that will determine the uplocking part.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 17, 2011 02:12PM

Ferrules are integral to the rod.

You may not need guides as large as size 3 snakes on a rod like that. Size 2's might be fine. Always use the smallest size that will easily pass your required line and connections. That reduces weight and improves rod performance. Also, try not to use multiples of various guide sizes - this creates a less straight line path and adds unnecessary weight. Use a stripping guide, a single transition guide, and then the same size guides from there all the way to the tip.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (162.119.68.---)
Date: August 17, 2011 02:28PM

Since it's for salt water, I would use titanium guides. The REC snake running guides are excellent, and I have come to like the Fuji "K" guides for stripping guides. For the tip top, I'd use a Fuji titanium/SIC. It isn't traditional looking but will give better performance.

The seat is up to you, but the handle kits from Batson are very nice and work well for not a ton of $$.

Drew

Posted by: Quinn_Canfield (198.182.55.---)
Date: August 17, 2011 02:46PM

8wt rod should be plenty especially if you are in shallow water. The REC guides are a nice option due to their light weight and corrosion resistance however they are 2.5x the cost of standard snakes. I've used the RECs and continue to do so because most of my saltwater rods get used for winter steelhead and the REC's are easier to clear ice out of but I have never had a corrosion problem with standard snake guides. Their tip tops are hideous looking so look at other options. I wash the rod and reel off after every outing. I normally use Am Tac Titans for the stripping guide(s).
Go with uplocking and a fighting butt. Check out the new Batson reel seats in their ALPs lineup. They are a little heavier than you basic aluminum reel seat but they look pretty cool.

Quinn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster