I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Builder From NY!!
Posted by: Steven Carr (---.dsl1.rtr.chat.fpma.frpt.net)
Date: August 14, 2011 06:34PM

Hello All!! I'm new to this and never built a rod.. I'm a Avid FlyFisherman from anything from bluegills to bass to walleye.

I wanna try my hand at building a rod for my self. I did just order the Rod Building Guide Book

I would like to kno should I buy a kit or just get everything separate and get what I want. Also where should I get most my stuff

And what is a list of tools I should get. And what rod should I get. And all the good stuff. I would like to start with a 4wt for blue gills. Like a 8 foot or 8 and a half footer. Hope to make new friends and learn lots about rod building!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Builder From NY!!
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 14, 2011 08:12PM

find a local builder and become friends..you can learn alot for a six-pack and an afternoon

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 14, 2011 10:15PM

Alot of the dealers on the left can help you get started. @#$%&, Mudhole,fishsticks etc. If they do not sell kits they can set you up with all you need.Do a search thru the Library at the Top and post any questions you might have here.

Remember The only Stupid question is the one you never ask!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 15, 2011 10:32AM

Check this out also There is a lot of info here [www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: August 15, 2011 10:49AM

An MHx 4wt fly rod "kit" from Mudhole would be a great place to start and leave you with a nice rod. Then you would have all the guides, handle materials etc, without having to order each bit. Just remember that your first rod will not be as nice as subsequent rods, so don't buy a fancy blank as your first project. It really helps to have an experienced builder walk you through your fist rod. Good luck.

Drew

Posted by: Rich Redmon (---.csd.disa.mil)
Date: August 15, 2011 10:57AM

Welcome to the addiction. Being somewhat new myself, you have come to the right place to do research. However, the best piece of advice was already given...find a local builder and ask them for an afternoon of their time. I did so and a great builder became a mentor that turned into a friendship. I learned more from him than any reading, forums, etc. If you can find a builder local (or within decent driving distance) it is worth every second of your time. Also, you can see the tools, try them, hold them, etc before you buy. You can do a search at the top of the page under "Direcotry" as a start to locate a builder.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 15, 2011 11:00AM

J Stockard (sponsor list on left) would be a GREAT place to start. They are all about fly fishing and right in your neck of the woods (CT). Their customer service is great, never an issue.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: August 15, 2011 01:45PM

Where at in NY? Also, I would advise you to unhide your e-mail. Go to control center to do this. It's in the Goto menu above your name.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 15, 2011 01:59PM

if you want to learn a lot of tricks and custome type work this is a good place to to get it
[northeastrodbuilders.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steven Carr (204.101.160.---)
Date: August 17, 2011 08:06AM

David Dosser Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where at in NY? Also, I would advise you to
> unhide your e-mail. Go to control center to do
> this. It's in the Goto menu above your name.

Thanks for the help i think i figured out how to unhide my email! im from upstate NY, i live in Schoharie County in Coleskill,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster