I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

drop shot setups?
Posted by: Tim Whitley (72.242.143.---)
Date: August 04, 2011 10:01AM

I have good friend asking for a drop shot build. What set up, guide and handles spinning would you guys use. If you wish to make blank recommendations fine but set up is my main concern.

Thanks

Tim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: drop shot setups?
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 04, 2011 10:26AM

For handles, I like a split Tennessee handle with the reel wrapped on with thread. Since I'm still not set up for turning, I use Batson 1.05" OD, 0.970" ID woven graphite tubing along with their shims and bushings. The tapered woven graphite fore grip pieces make nice butt grips that fill the hand, but I've use EVA butt grips as well. If I were set up for turning, it would be cheaper and make a lighter grip to use carbon sleeving over foam, or even better without foam.

For guides, there are a lot of good options out there, you can use match guides or Y frame guides for reduction guides, and then micros for runners. For a typical 1500-2500 size reel, I would probably use something like 20, 10 in Y frames for the reduction guides and 5, 3, 3, 3, .. in single foot fly guides for the choker and runners. If you use match guides, replace the 20 with a 16, and either lead the 10 or replace it with an 8 in the higher match frame.

If the reel will only use braid, you can reduce the reduction guides by yet one more size and still get great results, but if your friend would decide to put a stiffer 10 or 12lb. mono or fluoro on at a later point, there may be some drop off in casting performance.

EDIT One more caveat, if your friend would expect the guides to pass leader knots, I would replace the 3's with 4's or 5's depending on the size of his connection knots.

For the blank, I would highly recommend one of the Batson 822.5s.

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2011 10:30AM by Joe Vanfossen.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.credit-agricole.fr)
Date: August 04, 2011 10:40AM

I'll go with a split grip (Cork or Eva) with a size 16 or 17 Fuji VSS (or IPS) with the treaded part reduced in a 'no-foregrip style.
With Fuji Y style 20/12/7 then Fly Micro guide (CLAG4).

For light application I'm really happy with the MHX DS820.

Hope this help.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: August 04, 2011 11:30AM

I like Minima 4's for dropshot.
16 10 M frame a 6 regular frame single then fly style 4's to the tip.That will pass most knots. Ringlock tips are nice. 20m 12m 8y then 4's for guys who insist on bigger reels.
Batson 822.5, MHX DS822 and Castaway all are excellent for this. My current personal one is a MHX DS822 stretched to 7ft 1/2 inch done in split grip cork (the extension is in the rear grip), no fore grip just a winding check.
I like using the Aero seat.
All the 'bling" like any snakeskin or marbeling and hook keeper, labels etc needs to be behind the reel seat.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: August 04, 2011 04:14PM

I was asked for a 7' 6" drop shot rod. Any suggestions as to which blank to use or just extend a blank. There is a Stcroix 3s76mlxf blank. would this work???? I don't know why he want that long a blank for drop shotting.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: August 04, 2011 06:39PM

I would take a look at the Batson line of blanks

Ron Weber

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.43.28.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 04, 2011 08:42PM

Take a look at the MHX DS820 or 821, paired with American Tackle Ringlock guides and Aero seat with split grips.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: August 04, 2011 09:15PM

neither is 7'6" long. so unless I extend it I guess I am out of luck.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: August 04, 2011 09:34PM

Actually the Batson xsw 76ml would probably fit the bill quite well if you want a 7'6" rod

Ron Weber

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: August 05, 2011 07:41AM

If you want a really nice 7'6" drop shot rod, the Pac Bay T2P902 is the nicest I have seen. These blanks don't catch the hype like some others, but I doubt you'd be disappointed, and the 7'6" model is a real zinger.

Good Luck,

Marc

Posted by: Herb Bickings (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 05, 2011 09:11AM

Check out Phenix blanks, they have 2 7'6" blanks in their Ultra MBX Spinning line. I have the UMBX-S706M built as a casting rod that I use as my main drop shot rod and I love it, they also have UMBX-S706MH which I'd like to try.

Herb Bickings

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: August 05, 2011 09:16AM

Rolly,
i used a MHX HS9000 for drop shotting all last season. My buddy bought it from me earlier this year. It worked very well for many finesse applications and had the backbone to even get into slot Redfish, but was soft enough at the tip to catch crappies. He is using it on smallies below Pickwick on the TN river.

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.sub-174-252-198.myvzw.com)
Date: August 05, 2011 09:45AM

I have the St. Croix 3S76MLXF that I use as one of my DS rods, mostly for deep water (40-55'). It works quite well for that application.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.sttl.static.dslblast.com)
Date: August 05, 2011 12:34PM

Just stopping by hope this helps.

XSB822.5
Rainshadow RX8 Bass Spin

Component Part Number Part Description
Rod Blank Model # XSB822.5-TC 6' 10" 1pc 6-14lb 1/8 - 5/8oz - Titanium Chrome
Butt Cap: HESGFB1.5S-350 1.5" High End Splitgrip Super Grade ID .350"
Trim: AWC389 Aluminum Winding Check Trim for HESGFB1.5S-350
Split Grip: HEFG3.5S-250 3.5" High End Foregrip Super Grade ID .250"
Trim: AWC389 Aluminum Winding Check Trim for HEFG3.5S-250
Reel Seat Body: BPSTG16 "Textured Gray Graphite Reel Seat Body
-Place back of reel seat 9"" inches up from butt threads down"
Reel Seat Hood: GTT16C-SN-TC Hood w/cushion Single Nut - TiCH Coated Chrome
Shim: SHIM/16/SPIN Proof Board .590" OD 3.70" Length
Reel Seat Trim Ring: TRS16-TC Trim Ring for thread side of Spin Seat size 16 TiCH
Fore Grip: None
Winding Check: FBWC09.0 Rubber winding check for front of #16 seat
Hookeeper: XDSHKSS-TC Drop Shot Hookeeper
Tip Top: XTCPPCT06R04.5 ALPS SS316-RRD-P Top 06 TiCH Ring 4.5 Tube - TICH w/o Chrome
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XPTCFCG ALPS SS316 - TiCH w/o Chrome Single Foot with TiCH Zirconium Ring RRD
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XTCYTCG ALPS SS316 Y Guide TiCH w/o Chrome Single Foot with TiCH Zirconium Thin Ring

Guide order from the tip top Guide Guide Placement - In inches from the tip top
1st XPTCFCG06 4"
2nd XPTCFCG06 8.25"
3rd XPTCFCG06 12.75"
4th XPTCFCG07 17.5"
5th XTCYTCG07 22.75"
6th XTCYTCG10 28.625"
7th XTCYTCG16 36"
8th XTCYTCG25 45"

Rainshadow RX8+ Bass Rods

Rod Blank Model # RX8+S822.5-SB 6'10" 1 pc 6-12lb - Satin Black
Butt cap: EVABC20 EVA Butt Cap 19.8 mm
Reel Seat: GS17SKC-TC WITH GS17C-GWG Size 17 Spin seat with Gray Woven Graphite Insert threads down
Reel Seat Shim: SHIM/16/WG Proof Board .515" OD 3.0" Length
Reel Seat Trim Ring: TRS17-TC Trim Ring for Seat Size 17 - TiCH
Fore Grip: WFG2.5 Woven Foregrip 2.232" Length
Use with WFGRC, WFGFC, and WFGPB - EVA End Caps and Shim
Rear Grip: WHGRY-10 cut to 9" 10" Woven Graphite Handle-Gray (1.05" OD / .970" ID)
Use with WHKAx3, WBBC, and WFGRC - EVA End Caps and Shims
Winding Check: LTCWC395 Lt TitCar Plated Winding Check 0.395" I.D.
Hookeeper: XDSHKSS-TC Drop Shot Hookeeper
Tip Top TCPCT06F04.5 TICH w/o Chrome Plated 'P' Top 06 TiCH Flanged Ring 4.5 Tube
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XPTCFCG ALPS SS316 - TiCH w/o Chrome Single Foot with TiCH Zirconium Ring RRD
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XTCYTCG ALPS SS316 Y Guide TiCH w/o Chrome Single Foot with TiCH Zirconium Thin Ring

1st XPTCFCG06 4"
2nd XPTCFCG06 8.25"
3rd XPTCFCG06 12.75"
4th XPTCFCG07 17.5"
5th XTCYTCG07 22.75"
6th XTCYTCG10 28.625"
6th XTCYTCG16 36"
7th XTCYTCG25 45"

ISB822.5
Rainshadow Spin Bass

Rod Blank Model # ISB822.5-M 6'10" 1pc Med Spin Bass - Matte Clear
Butt cap: SBC20B Black Butt Cap 19.8mm ID
Reel Seat: GSTG16C-TC Textured Gray Graphite Spin Reel Seat w/Cushion-Real Light TICH
Trim Ring: TRS16-TC Trim Ring for spin seat
Reel Seat Shim: SHIM/16/SPIN Proof Board .590" OD 3.70" Length
Fore Grip: FG25A-350 2 1/2" Cork Fore Grip .350" ID "A" Grade Cork
Rear Grip: RG9A-345 9" Cork Rear Grip 'A' Grade Cork
Winding Check: LTCWC475 Lt TitCar Pltd Winding Check .475" ID
Hookeeper: XDSHKSS-TC Drop Shot Hookeeper TiCH
Tip Top LTCPCT06R05.0 Light TiCH Plated 'P' Top 06 Ring TiCH 5.0 Tube
Guides (see below for size and quantity) LTCVSCG Light TiCH Plated Single Foot V Frame TiCH Ring

1st LTCVSCG06 4.5"
2nd LTCVSCG07 9.5"
3rd LTCVSCG07 15"
4th LTCVSCG08 21"
5th LTCVSCG10 28"
6th LTCVSCG16 36"
7th LTCVSCG25 45"

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 05, 2011 09:38PM

Batson's RX822.5 is the best I've used for drop shoting!
Light
Sensitive
Crisp
Balances well
perfect tip for working a drop
and casts like a rocked for when you are not dropping it straight down

I would follow Joe's advise, sticking with a carbon Tenn. handle reel wrapped as he suggested for optimal sensitivity.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2011 05:13PM

Tim,
Depending on your fishing style, don't discount the use of spinning guides for a drop shot guides.
I have built many drop shot rods as spinning rods. Many times, especially with the use of lighter lures and baits, the use of the spinning rod actually work much better than wiht a casting rod setup.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Charles Lechner (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: August 09, 2011 08:55AM

The Batson set up above is spot on for me except for grips and reel seat. I have large hands and if I make a spinning rod for me, it will have an Aero reel seat and I use split grips and no foregrip to keep it light as well. But the Batson blanks and spacing referenced works well for ceramic guides. The last one I made using that blank, I used the black Recoils and had to adjust the spacing a tad due to guide height, and it is one nice set up!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster