I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish Problems with Cp
Posted by: Trung Diep (12.22.49.---)
Date: July 27, 2011 02:44PM

Hi All,

I've been getting really bad results on my finish work over CP. I have tried 3 brands with new bottle and still getting same results. When I apply my finish everything seems to look smooth by the time I'm done with the last guide, I notice the rest is getting a really ugly finish look. Not sure if you call it fisheye or something else? The finish doesnt wants to stay in certain areas ,so I;m getting dry spots in certain areas.Kinday looks like pot holes. I've never had this problem before with Flexcoat CP but recently with the last couple builds, Im getting the bad result. So I went ahead and purchase 3 New bottles of 3 different brands of CP and see if that would solve my issues. Thinking my old bottles could of been bad (3 brands). Sadly to say, I'm still getting the same resutls. Ive tried Chromaseal, U40 color lok, and Flexcoat CP. I havent change my method applying the CP. For Flexcoat and Chromaseal , I shake the bottle before I apply. For U40 color lok, I only stir the bottle before use. I use my lathe to apply evenly. But the weird thing is I had 2 rods on the dryer the other day , 1 rod with CP and the other no CP, same batch of finish apply. The rod with CP is getting the dry spots and the rod without CP is getting a smooth finish. What am I doing wrong with CP???? Any feedback greatly appreciated. Its becoming a real pain seeing the results. I cant seem to figure out what is going wrong. I love using CP because I use mostly Nylon thread. When I apply 2nd coat its seems ok but if you look carefully you can tell its not smooth. If any help, I apply in a basic bedroom. When I apply the finish, my room gets around 75 to 80 degress warm with my portable heater.

Trung

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish Problems with Cp
Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: July 27, 2011 03:36PM

Have you changed from your normal nylon thread recently? It really sounds like some sort of contamination causing the fish eyes. Oil on hands, thread, some sort of cleaner maybe?

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: July 27, 2011 03:54PM

Trung:

I think David is right. Something is contaminated. This could be something on your hands, to arisol oil from cooking or furniture polish.. Some threads that are used in sewing have a lubricant on them. I would start looking for where the oil is coming from. Wipe down all of your tools with alcohol including razor blades. One thing you can try if you get fisheyes again is to let your epoxy thicken a little (doesn't take much), and then touch up the fisheyes. I have saved a couple of builds doing this.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2011 03:55PM by Mike Bradford.

Date: July 27, 2011 04:36PM

If you have a brand new spool of thread try and wrap a scrap piece and put cp and finish on it and see what happens. (If you have the time).

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: July 27, 2011 06:13PM

David & Mike,

Maybe it could the oil but I do remember washing my hands before I apply finish or CP. Im using Gudebrod thread, so no new thread for those build. Pretty much im stumped at this situation. Cannot seem to figure out. The brushes im using to apply my CP are the flexcoat ( yellow or purple). After use I clean them in regular tap water and let it dry for couple days before I use them again on CP applications. Could this be the problem are the brushes or tap water? David or Mike can u email me directly to Trung5432@live.com and if you dont mind , can I give you a call? I explain it better on phone then writing.

Thanks for the quick repsonsed

Trung

Date: July 27, 2011 06:29PM

The only thing I can think of to tell you is to use a new brush, with a new spool and try it out on a scrap piece with CP. It seems like it has to be either the thread or the brushes. You've eliminated the epoxy as the culprit. One of the times that I had the same problem it ended up being the brush. I'm not sure what got on it, but when I used a new brush it solved the problem. You are on the right track. You just need to eliminate each thing, one at a time until you find the problem. It stinks, but that's really the only way you will find a solution. If it were me, I would try a new brush with a different thread or new thread and make sure that you don't have any open containers with solvent or cleaners around. Even perfume and hairspray will make fish eyes.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: July 27, 2011 06:39PM

Trung:

The Flexcoat brushes are fairly inexpensive, and intended for "use them once, and throw them away" type use. Where do you store them while they are drying? The next question is what type soap do you use when you wash your hands? There are a lot soaps out there that have moisturizers (olis) in them. I use a cheap dish washing soap. It is designed to cut oil and grease. I think some of your problems may be solved here.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Trung Diep (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 27, 2011 08:49PM

David & Mike,

Yep it does suck. Its very fustrating when your wraps and everything looks nice tll the last part when I apply the finish. When I apply finish, I know now it cannot be the mixing cup, flexcoat brush (new) cuz the other rod without CP turn out fine. So maybe you are right it might be my old brush I use to apply the CP. I dip the brush directly into the bottle, could that affect it also?Question from Mike, I store them in the living room by the fireplace while drying. We dont use the fireplace anyways. after the brushes are clean and dry I store them in a Plano tackle box. The soap I use is the hand wash soap. Also Ive tried letting the CP dry for couple days before the finish goes on but still same result.

Thanks guys for the quick responsed. Hopefully using the new brush will solve the issue.

Trung

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 28, 2011 10:33AM

Trung,
Of course, if the issue is CP and related CP application; you could always forgo the application of ANY CP and simply apply the finish to the thread directly.

Different folks like different looks, but you might actually prefer the look of thread without any CP applied.

I am one of the folks who will only use CP in a very very isolated in infrequent instance, if demanded by a customer. Otherwise, I much prefer the semi translucent look of a non NCP thread and a no CP applied finish.

But, that is what makes the world go round. Everyone likes their own look.

Take care
Roger

p.s.
Recently, there have been considerable posts about folks using specific brands and or types of thread which happen to have some silicone in the thread. As a result of the silicone in the thread, there have been issues with both CP as well as finish application.

Posted by: Trung Diep (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 29, 2011 01:13AM

Roger,

Ive been so use to using CP since I started building. I like the bright nylon colors thread and how they shine in the sun. I do occasionally use NCP thread and Nylon thread without CP for a certain look. But majority of the build is Nylon with CP. I guess every builders has there own preference. Like Mike and David said, maybe its my old brushes or the hand soap. I guess I'm just running a bad luck streak. Hopefully the next build will be solve.

Happy Wrapping

Trung

Posted by: Randall Wilinski (---.Library.eiNetwork.net)
Date: August 01, 2011 04:26PM

Hi Trung,

I don't store my stuff in a plastic tackle box. I'm wondering if your plastic tackle box got contaminated ? I use a clean cardboard box.

Rubbing alcohol gets the nod to keep my hands clean while working on my rods. Seems to work fine for me.

Use new brushes.

Test wrap those threads on a scrap blank...with and without your color preserver and finish.

How are you storing your threads ?

How are you feeding your threads to your rod when wrapped ?

Keep any open cleaners and solutions away from the wrapping area and keep containers closed.

Using any colognes lately? That could have contaminated something.

Have you oiled anything nearby lately ?

Be careful when cleaning the room ... some products can contaminate hands and products in the area.

You may also consider changing those brushes with another line of brushes until you figure out what the contamination is coming from.

I hope this helps some?

Let me know if you solve that contamination problem and what the culprit is.

Randall Wilinski

Date: August 04, 2011 02:07PM

Hi Randall,Dave, Mike, Roger

Just finish one rod. I use a new brush this time applying CP. 1st coat of Afcote , came out flawless. Next day, 2nd coat, when applying Ive notice dents again in some areas, went over those areas cover, then resurface again. Driving me nuts this time.Got me thinking, after mixing the finish, do you guys let it sit for a little while before applying or makes no difference apply directly? Got me so worry, I didnt even apply to the whole rod, stop at that point. 3rd day, apply 2nd coat the rest , came out flawless, went back the guide had problem with dents, came out flawless. But then after everything was coated and looks really good, I left the room , came back within 1hr, notice 1 dent appear on 1 guide (so fustrated now) , luckily I brush it and use the alcohol torch and solve the problem. I am really stump at this issue and its getting so fustrated now when apply finish. As to your questions: I dont think the Plano tackle box got contaminated because I had one rod without CP came out fine. I stored all my threads in a Plano tackle box. When I clean my rod room , i dont use any solvnet , just wrap everything with a napkin or towel dry. So now dont know what to do at this point, cannot seem to figure out. Try new brushes, try new CP, I dont think it can be the thread because all the thread is Gudebrod Nylon and Gudebrod Metallic. I dont think Gudebrod has silicon. As far as I know. Cannot be the cups or the Flexcoat brushes to apply finish. Can it be the portable heater? My room gets around 70 to 80 degrees before applying finish.

Regards,

Trung

Posted by: Randall Wilinski (---.Library.eiNetwork.net)
Date: January 29, 2013 05:13PM

Hey Trung , did you get that finish problem under control yet ? I think it could be the heater and possibly any colgne or deodorants/anti-perspirants you may be using. Something has silicone in the area you are finishing your rods in. My guess would be the heater.

Lemme know how it's going for you now.

Randall Wilinski

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster