I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St. Croix spinning rod
Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: July 27, 2011 05:37PM

Hi
What does everybody think between St.Croix 5s66lf2 and the 5s66mlf2 for 18-24 in. rainbows. Is the light action to light.Customer will be drift fishing mostly many different baits. He had me do one and he wanted a stiff rod and I used the ms66mf2 which is to stiff not enough feel. Other brands won't do he wants St. Croix.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St. Croix spinning rod
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 28, 2011 10:26AM

Mike,
I feel your pain.
I have gone through the identical situation with a couple of customers.

Finally, I just built up all three of the rods. i.e. the medium, medium - light, and light rods.

Then, I let the customer fish with all three.

As it turned out, the customer ended up buying all three. When doing this sort of fishing, each of these rods are suitable for different situations on the same drift. So he is well pleased.

But if he were to choose one that he used about 80% of the time, it is the medium light for drift fishing.

The light is a touch light for much of his style fishing, and the medium is a touch heavy for much of his fishing.

P.s.
It is also somewhat dependent on the type and weight of the fish that he is catching. The medium light and medium rod will handle any likely fish on the drift, but there might be some issues with the light action rod.

Of course, as is the case with any rod. You can catch virtually any size fish on virtually any size rod. If the rod is too light for the fish, then, simply keep the rod pointed straight at the fish, and effectively hand land the fish; rather than rod land the fish.
i.e. use your elbow to land the fish, while keeping the rod unbent and pointed straight at the fish.

I use this technique all of the time if I happened to be using a noodle rod to catch pan fish, and happened to get bit by a 10 lb northern. As long as the line doesn't break, you can point the rod directly toward the fish and just hand land the fish.

Take care
Roger

Re: St. Croix spinning rod
Posted by: Don Slater (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 30, 2011 09:52AM

Try looking at the Lamiglass G1000 freshwater series.

I've been using one for 35 years.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster