I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Excess Epoxy
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 06, 2011 10:55AM

I know I'm not the only one who mixes up a big batch of glue for handles, finishes gluing what I planned on gluing, looks over at a mound of glue on the mixing board - and scurries all over the shop looking for something else that needs to be epoxied? lol.

I just glued the handlebars on my bike because they kept getting loose and the nut was stripped.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Excess Epoxy
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: July 06, 2011 11:43AM

My wife keeps a box of "Things to Fix" on the corner of my rod bench for when "you epoxy stuff". Typically Xmas ornaments, kids' toys, etc.

Rod bond works good from holding tiles down that came loose, threshholds in doorways, etc...

-----------------
AD

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 06, 2011 12:15PM

I thought I was the only one that did that ! I waste more Rod Bond than I use.
I used to use little measuring spoons. Now I use two popsicle sticks. Lance Dupree and I were talking about that at the Show this year. He said he wasted less if he used the measuring spoons. I have started using the spoons again and I think he was right.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2011 12:56PM

Jay, that is where Ralph Oquinn is a genius. In having us not worry about measuring it(well he did create it) it using twice as much as needed.

Date: July 06, 2011 01:17PM

I love getting to the end of the container and there's an ounce of REsin and the Hardener is all gone. Uh-oh.... lol. I have a piece of plexi glass (used to be a vinyl tile) which I pour excess finish onto - I use this to check when the finish is dry enough to touch. I grew the epoxy to about 2' before it got too heavy, lol. MAkes for a good conversation when people see it.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 06, 2011 02:19PM

Toys (children's and adult's)... ceramic tiles... lamps... I too have a set-aside pile of "can you glue this?" ........ I measure / mix pretty carefully but as Billy posted there's ALWAYS one part left in the bottom of the container

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 06, 2011 04:15PM

Yes,, J.P.,, Ralph Oquinn is a genius. I have never failed to get the ratio off so bad it would not set up. I did mix a batch cold, in the winter time, that took a while to set. I was spooked so bad I posted a question about it and Tom K said let it set in a warm area and check it tomorrow. It worked ! I was sweating bullets for a while.

When I empty the jars , I always have some left in one of them. I just put the remainder in the new jar and never look back. I am now very confident with Rod Bond.
The stuff is great for repairing broken toys. My grand daughter thinks her PaPa can fix anything.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2011 05:10PM

I always tend to mix too much 'like most' so I started forcing myself to mix smaller amounts, mixing a second small batch if necessary...and yup, there is always one that has some left in it at the end.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2011 05:13PM

I use tubs of epoxy.
To mix, I use large syringes that are about 5 inches long and an inch in diameter. I cut the spout off of the syringes and then drill out the end of the syringe to about 1/4 inch.

By using the syringes, it is easy to get a perfect mix, use only the required amount and typically end up with both containers going empty at the same time.

As with finish syringes, no need to clean. Just don't mix up the part a and part b of the epoxy.

p.s.
I was burned once, on a batch of epoxy that was mixed and didn't get used because of a missing part on a glue up.
I now do a complete assembly of what ever I am going to do, double checking on the presence of all required tools. I haven't had the misfortune of an unused batch since then. The typical epoxy that I use is a 30 minute cure with about a 10 minute working time, so there is a bot of leeway on the glue and time element. I use 5 minute all of the time as well, when I glue up a single part, like a butt cap or something similar. In that case, I am sure that everything is on the bench and prechecked for fit and placement before mixing the glue. With 5 minute glue there is about a 30 second working time, before the glue starts to kick.

Take care
Roger

Date: July 06, 2011 05:16PM

BORING!!!! What have you used excess epoxy or glue on????? Maybe you patched a hole in your boat with it?

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2011 05:24PM

I have repaired ... a ceramic bird bath and the soles on well worn shoes, as well as a few of the items previous mentioned.

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2011 05:36PM

Kitchen cabinet draws, wifes watering can handle, filling holes in whatever, cracked moldings! I'll think of some more!

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 06, 2011 06:55PM

Did Billy say his "nut" was stripped? Suspensions confirmed!!! LOL

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)

Did Billy say his "nut" was stripped? Suspensions confirmed!!! LOL

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)

Repaired the bottom of my Favorite 20 OZ coffee cup,fell out of truck and cracked the bottom,filled the bottom with epoxy left over from a glue up (after light sanding) leveled it off. Good to go. keeps hot now

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2011 07:19PM

Lumbar support knob in wifes car. Grass catcher chute was cracked at the seam. Plus a couple of others in the past which i can`t think of. Rod Bond does it all.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 06, 2011 09:22PM

Microwave handle assembly...... I was there warming the resin so..... what the heck this looks like it needs fixing while I'm here. Which led to kitchen drawer divider / insert for knives/forks/spoons .... which led to kitchen sink soap dispenser .... which led to repair of two stained glass sun catchers... which led to replacing the "gliders" on the bottom of the kitchen chairs... By the time I was done I didn't feel like gluing up those handles any more.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 07, 2011 07:55AM

About the best I've done is Rod Bonded the shoes on my niece's Barbie dolls.. I know not very exciting but she thought it was neat.

Also fixed a brush head onto a new handle,

Posted by: Christopher Duncan (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2011 08:45AM

I got home last night after finishing up the MSF course for my bike and discovered that the heat on the asphalt had caused one of my boot heels to fall off. As I was finishing up putting one 2 handles I needed to start work on I had some left over. I had an A-Ha! moment, and put the excess on my boot heel and mated it back to my boot. 3 clamps to make sure it didn't move. Now let's see it try to fall off again!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2011 10:58AM

Christohper,
A great thought, but when the heel falls off again, pick up some good rubber based glue or shoe goo and the heel will be on for a long time. Shoes flex. Rod bond does not flex.

Great wrapping.

Roger

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster