I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

senko rod?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2011 02:06PM

What would be a good length and action for a senko bait type rod, like for casting weigthless senkos? My friend says his a 6'6" is the right size for him to cast these baits, but I would think a longer rod like 7 or 7'3" rod for longer casting distance. Just inquiring.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: senko rod?
Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 30, 2011 03:34PM

Hi Lorenzo

A lot of anglers 'Drop Shot' with a Senko and like a short rod for doing so. Maybe your buddy is 'drop shotting' or just likes the 6'6 length. If you are looking to build it as a spinning rod and 'Drop Shot' I'd recommend the XSB822.5 6'10 6-14LB FAST ACTION (1/8-5/8)oz That is a very light blank at 1.6oz's and has a beautiful action.

Casting a 'Drop Shot' rig has become very popular where it started as vertical fishing almost entirely orginally.

If you are wanting to dead stick it or pitch into vegetation/some kind of cover, I would use a rod with a little more power such as the XMB843 as a casting rod.

Feel Free to give us a call, I would be happy to help guide you to the right blank based on your application.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: June 30, 2011 04:16PM

You need to find out how he is going to use it - and also what size.

I've got some guys using 7.5" senkos with 8/0 hooks... you wouldn't use those rods.

I also have guys fishing 5" senkos as a topwater bait. Again, a different rod yet.

I have guys skipping senkos under docks... different build yet.

Basically - need more info.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 30, 2011 04:27PM

Is he rigging it texas style 'hook buried' or wacky 'hook exposed'? Open water or cover?

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 30, 2011 04:32PM

Alex has provided very good advice. You do need to decide what size Senko will be used and pound test line to be used. A Senko is a very versatile biat to use and so many different techniques of fishing it. The can be fished weightless or used with a weight system. You can fish them Wacky style, Texas rigged, Carolina rigged, Drop Shot rigged, on a Shakey Head rig, etc. and on and on. A Spin Jig, Drop Shot or Mag Bass blank could be in order, according to the type technique and whether you are around heavy cover or not. Our newly introduced Hi-Modulus blanks, at Mud Hole Custom Tackle are excellent choices for these situations, whether it be a HM-SJ782 MHX, HM-SJ783 MHX, HM-DS822 MHX, HM-SB812 MHX, HM-SJ842 MHX or HM-SJ843 MHX. If you decide to go a bit heavier powered blank, the HM-MB843 MHX. If you need further help, feel free to contact me and I will gladly help assist you.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2011 04:34PM by Bob McKamey.

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2011 05:48PM

Mostly Texas style, with braid or 15 lb to 17 lb test, in or by heavy cover, med heavy power fast act. mostly like 5 to 7 inch senko type, 4/0 to 6/0 size hooks. the length between 6'6" and 7'3". and he likes to flip it around cover weightless. I guess we will just have to make a decision. Thanks all help is appreciated.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 30, 2011 05:57PM

Lorenzo your post is a question that custom builders are faced with many times.

Your knowledge of the required blanks will keep many fishermen from doing battle with the wrong tool!

Issues -

Where do you plan on chunking that bait?

What size fish is your target?

What do you plan on doing after hook up?

Do you plan on putting the fish in the boat?

Two options:

Either the fish has control and swims away -

or

The angler has control and puts the fish in the boat.

Some guides, tournament fishermen, including Elites, use "flip stick blanks" for these techniques in heavy cover.

Proper blanks selection is important if you intend to have the rod in one piece at the end of the day!

If the incorrect blank is chosen one power run under the boat will tell the tale in many cases cases.

Swampland would like to add our name to the above list of those who are available to discuss the details.

Use the Contact Us link at Swampland would like to add our name to the list list of those who will be glad to communicate the available options.

[swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: Gary Snyder (12.77.249.---)
Date: June 30, 2011 06:01PM

I use a ML Popping blank rated for 1/4 - 1/2 oz. lure, but I'm using small #1 gamakatsu hooks which take a lot less pressure to penetrate than those big bass hooks he's using.

I would recommend either a popping or MB blank rated for 1/4 - 5/8 oz. lures. You could go with an even heavier blank, as long as it won't break the line, but casting may suffer.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 30, 2011 07:21PM

Batson 802.75 Best Senko rod out there that I have built and used:

ISB802.75 Matte Clear 6'8" 1 6-15lb 3/16 - 5/8 OZ 0.515 5.0 Extra-Fast Medium 1.98 oz

This rod is classed as a "med" power, but the butt of the rod will easily rate a MH power. What you have in this blank is a very light fast tip for throwing weightless lures and yet still have a butt powerful enough to rate in the medium heavy power range.

GREAT senko rod.

DR

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 30, 2011 10:56PM

Duane, what size line are you using? That is a great blank but I'd be tempted to go with an MB, most likely a MB843 since you are pitching it 'not needing casting distance' and may need to pull a fish out of cover. Eitherway, you'll have a blast!! Senkos are deadly and you can't beat the feeling of hooking a solid fish with only a few feet of line out.

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com

Posted by: Richard Glabach (158.74.35.---)
Date: July 01, 2011 09:10AM

How would a hotshot rod work for a senko rigged with small #1 gamakatsu hooks? The added length may add to the distance of the cast for finesse tactics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2011 09:11AM by Richard Glabach.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 01, 2011 09:35AM

Hi Richard, My thoughts would be that it would probably be pretty sweet if you were rigging it wacky or some other way with the hook point exposed.

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 01, 2011 11:19AM

Mb843 is way too heavy of a rod for drop shot or senko fishing in my opinion, and way too heavy of a line wt rating for finisse fishing

Ron Weber

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 01, 2011 12:47PM

GBO,

6/20 Suffix Braid mostly....or 12lb Excell depending......

Trust me, you'll have the backbone. This blank locks up very early on, leaving you lots of butt power. If it can handle a HOT 45" Musky, green fish shouldn't be an issue! :-)

DR

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 01, 2011 02:30PM

A number of years ago, I built for personal use a St. Croix SC V - 5C70MF for fishing SENKOS and I love it. This blank is available in SC V, SC IV and SC III graphic.

Since that time, I built six more for guys who tried the rod and immediately ordered one for their selves.

The rod is 7'-0", rated: Medium Power, Fast Action, 10-17 lb, (I use 8# on it) and 1/4 - 5/8 oz. It works great for SENKOS, Flukes and other finesse baits.

While I have never used the Batson rod mentioned above, I am sure it is excellent as well.

On a side note, and in my opinion, Batson makes the best drop-shot rod blank available with their RX 8 XSB 822.5 blank.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 01, 2011 03:57PM

Last one I built for a customer was on a XSB802.75 RX8, and he absolutely loves it and fishes it heavily in tournaments.

Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: July 01, 2011 09:41PM

Lorenzo,
I just finished a Castaway XP3 813 for a guy that asked for a rod to throw Senkos. Used all micros, #4, split grip, ACS reel seat, no foregrip, and he loves it more than his $200 Cumaras. Talk to the guys at Swampland and they'll fix ya up right.

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2011 06:51PM

St. Croix 3C68MXF would be a great casting rod.,many recommendations on this forum.
Very light,, X-Fast tip w/ plenty of backbone in butt..
Very similar to the Batson 802.75

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster