I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I messed up!
Posted by: Jason Barnette (---.mobile.mymmode.com)
Date: June 30, 2011 12:02PM

So after installing my grip and real seat I realized I put the real seat opposite of the spine:(... What
Is the best way to remove the real seat?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I messed up!
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (131.123.18.---)
Date: June 30, 2011 12:11PM

Leave it in place and don't worry about the spine. If it really bothers you, you may be able to get the seat off by putting the handle in boiling water for a while, and if all else fails, you will have to cut it off.

Joe

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2011 12:14PM

Jason,
You are in luck,
You will have a great fishing rod with the reel on the rod the way that you installed it.

Really, don't worry about the spine.
Build the rod and go fishing.

Roger

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2011 12:22PM

p.s.
Generally speaking, a slower action rod requires fewer guides than a faster action rod.

With some of todays extra fast tips, you may need as many as 3 more guides to take care of the tip action, compared to a blank of similar power with a slow or moderate action tip. i.e. the faster tip required more closely spaced guides to keep the line in alignment with the loaded blank.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 30, 2011 12:24PM

As mentioned above...Fish it and You'll Love it the way it is. For those who pay attention to the spine it would be 10x worse if it was in between, being on the opposite side is no problem.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Date: June 30, 2011 12:28PM

Ok thanks guys!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 30, 2011 12:34PM

Spine makes no practical difference in how a rod performs.

Also worth remembering that the stiffest and softest axis found on a rod blank are not 180 degrees apart.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 30, 2011 01:00PM

Jason I build some rods that way ON purpose, depending on what I want/need.

Your rod will be perfect! Finish it and fish on.

DR

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2011 01:47PM

Thanks Jason for putting this topic on here, I just gotten a new rod blank and was wondering if the spine really matter all that much cause on this rod it is hard to find the bend maybe i got lucky to get a straight blank, or it is a very good rod, it is a HM-MB873-HMX, Can't wait to start building it!

Date: June 30, 2011 02:03PM

Hey Lorenzo! Mine is also a MHX blank, it is hard to find the spine on the blank but after flexing and rotating it several times, i was able to find it. I just made the mistake of marking the inside of the blank and installing my real seat on that side. I'm glad to have these experienced rod makers give us NEWBS the help we need. Thanks again guys!

Posted by: Emory J. Harry (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2011 02:17PM

The stiff axis (S1-S2) and the soft axis (N1-N2) are actually orthogonal to each other or 90 degrees apart. They rarely feel that they are exactly 90 degrees apart just as the N1 to N2 or the S1 to S2 rarely feel as if they are 180 degrees apart when a blank is spined. This is due to the fact that the two (N1-N2 and S1-S2) rarely cross each other in the exact center of the blank. The point where they cross over is most often offset from the center. The amouint of the offset will determine how many degrees will appear to be between the stiff axis (S1-S2) and soft axis (N1-N2). If they cross in the center of the blank the S1 to S2 will feel 180 degrees apart, the N1 to N2 will feel 180 degrees apart and the angle between the two will be 90 degrees.
If you are interested this is explained better in the technical notes on the web site [CSFA.com]. Also if you are interested you can also look up orthogonality on Wikipedia.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2011 02:19PM by Emory J. Harry.

Posted by: john backos (170.28.136.---)
Date: June 30, 2011 02:47PM

Please don't let this thread become another diatribe about whose engineering credentials are greatest.

I personally build on the spine, but am beginning to rethink my position since I have several factory rods that are off spine and they cast straight and fight fish just fine.

The fish don't care, maybe we shouldn't either.

Date: June 30, 2011 03:53PM

The spine effect is created by more than just the physical attributes of the blank layup. There are several anomalies that also contribute to it, such as blank curvature, consistency of wall thickness due to sanding, etc. Even a perfectly verbatim poltruded plastic pipe will exhibit a spine effect.

We do know that when the blank is flexed along the position that places the cumulative thinnest wall on the compression side, the blank is in its weakest position in terms of what it will deadlift on that axis. Building on the effective spine therefore results in the weakest orientation of the blank from the standpoint of fish fighting.

However, since none of us can fish a rod on a single axis, all the talk about spine is of no real importance.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 30, 2011 04:15PM

Save your self some time and just put it in your wrapper rollers If ( and I am sure it even a little ) the tip goes in a circle bring the tip in the upward position Mark that as top ( fishing position ) Build it

It will fish very well indeed

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 30, 2011 04:35PM

He's already glued the seat on - I think that was the point. He was worried that his rod would somehow not perform up to par or do horrendous things because the spine wasn't oriented "properly." As we know by now, there is no such thing as proper spine orientation. It'll be fine and there is no real need to be concerned.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2011 05:00PM

Tom brings up an important point (as usual) that I think is glossed over. Nowhere else would we place the weakest axis on the load bearing side than in rod building. It is plain backwards to any rational line of thought. The original notion was well intended but to be blunt (or is that brunt:) it is plain wrong.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: June 30, 2011 06:22PM

he sounds like one of those guys that comes on here --- and after a few years reads of - locating spine - then is not here for a while - Now Thinks He Messed Up ??

All most have to do is come to this site several times a week and read posts --- that will educate them on any new trends that have been implied A lot of builders here do testing They find that the Spine is not important .

How long was this - Several years ??

All ya got to do is - press a button -- and read Even once a month --- And you can learn a lot

That is why this site is the best Sorry Old School No one handed me any thing on a plater Ya got to learn

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 30, 2011 06:45PM

Bill,
What the heck are you trying to say?? The guy asked a simple, honest question!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: June 30, 2011 07:06PM

How long or how many years have builders not used the Spine on a rod ??? And built on the Straightest Axis

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 30, 2011 07:07PM

Bill,
self edited

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster