I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MHX MB941
Posted by: Pierre Lavignotte (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: June 19, 2011 05:23PM

Hi,

does someone have numbers or opinion on this blank ?

I'm on a budget to build two 7'6" light saltwater rods to throw up to 1 and 1/4oz

I just received a L902 to build a light saltwater rod and I'm quite disapointed with this blank. Quite "noodly" and not as powerfull as what I thought. It looks like a glass cranking blank to me...

So I'm looking for other options but can't decide between :
- extend a MB844,
- try the MB941, which I suspect to be less powerfull than the MB844,
- get the L904, but I'm not really exited about the Mod-Fast action I've seen on the L902. I was given the following RDA number for this blank : Power 6,8 / TA 60°

Looks like this will end in taking one of each...

Thanks for the help,
Pierre

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MHX MB941
Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.48.186.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 19, 2011 07:24PM

Noodly is kind of the way the that blank is. It's great for throwing live bait as it loads up well but allows the cast to ease off and keep from killing the bait.

Now, as far as the MB941 is concerned, it's a great blank for throwing top water plugs with plenty of power. You won't be disappointed in it. But of you want more power, I'd try the MB874.

Posted by: Pierre Lavignotte (192.196.142.---)
Date: June 20, 2011 04:06AM

Thank you Matthew for the feedback, I didn't pay attention to the MB874 but it may be the answer with 7'3".
Do you you think it's more powerfull or equivalent to the MB844 ? I ask because the tip of the 874 is a bit thiner.

Pierre

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 20, 2011 07:54AM

Pierre Lavignotte Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you Matthew for the feedback, I didn't pay
> attention to the MB874 but it may be the answer
> with 7'3".
> Do you you think it's more powerfull or equivalent
> to the MB844 ? I ask because the tip of the 874 is
> a bit thiner.
>
> Pierre

They should be very comparable blanks in both power & action. One is a 7' model and the other is a 7'-3" model of the same line.

Posted by: mike harris (---.cluster-h.websense.net)
Date: June 20, 2011 04:38PM

I believe the L904 is the salt water version of the FS904 flipping stick blank, nobody would call that blank noodly. I use the same blank to build Carolina rig rods and they will cast a 1oz weight almost out of sight.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 20, 2011 05:17PM

mike harris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe the L904 is the salt water version of
> the FS904 flipping stick blank, nobody would call
> that blank noodly. I use the same blank to build
> Carolina rig rods and they will cast a 1oz weight
> almost out of sight.

No sir, not even close to the same blank. The FS904 is faster and a touch heavier.
But the blank he didn't like was the L902 not the 904.

Posted by: mike harris (---.cluster-h.websense.net)
Date: June 21, 2011 09:13AM

OK then looking at his reservations about the L904 maybe the FS904 is exactly what he wants. It should work great throwing 1 ¼ oz jigs.

Posted by: Pierre Lavignotte (192.54.193.---)
Date: June 22, 2011 03:05AM

I ordered one MB874 and one MB941 but the MB874 was out of stock, so I finally will get two MB941.

Thank you for the answers.

Pierre

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster