I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Can rod action change over time?
Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: May 17, 2011 03:59PM

I visited a friend the other day for whom I built a rod in 2007. I won't get into what brand of rod, length, or any of that. He told me it was his favorite and he had caught hundreds of fish on it, mostly bass. I picked up the rod, as I usually do, to see how I've changed in the years and I noticed that it seemed to have a really slow action. I remember the rod well and can tell you that I don't remember the action being as slow as it is now. Not even close. There could be other reasons as to why it felt different but it lead me to a ponderance.
Can extensive usage put wear on the action of a rod? Has anyone ever taken CCS data on a newly built rod and then come back after years of use and compared new CCS data to the original? If so, any difference? If there was a difference, what could be the driver(s): graphite content, taper, wall thickness?
Just a thought.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can rod action change over time?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 17, 2011 04:05PM

Are you talking action or speed? Every time you flex a rod you fatigue it to some minute degree. Old glass rods with polyester resins fatigued quick enough under often and hard use that they indeed changed over several seasons. Carbon fiber rods aren't prone to such noticeable changes, although they certainly do fatigue just like everything else.

It should be a fairly simple thing to rig up a test stand with a windshield wiper motor and load/unload a blank through many thousands of cycles. Count how many occur in a minute and you'd know how many cycles it would eventually take for you to record a difference in ERN, CCF or even AA. Could be an interesting experiment, although I suspect you're going to have to get into the hundreds of thousands of cycles before you record much of any difference.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: May 18, 2011 10:07PM

That's strange. I guess I've alway thought of graphite as replicable carbon chain that's very durable. Guess that doesn't mean as much when the resins are fatiguing. Are the resins the weak link here or do we have the resin to thank for being more of a shock absorber? I've always thought that fatiuing is only something to worry about with bamboo - which actually takes a visible set - which can be straightened with some coersion. Which brings up another interesting question: If graphite blanks can fatigue, are they capable of being manipulated into being straightened by some method if they're slightly crooked to begin with?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 18, 2011 10:31PM

You don't need to worry about this with a carbon fiber rod blank. As I said, it happens - carbon does fatigue, but it takes a truly tremendous number of cycles to reach a point where you'd ever be able to tell it with your human senses. Put it out of your mind, or run the above test to put your mind at ease.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.204.---)
Date: May 31, 2011 05:38PM

To get me to believe that rod action can change with age (modern graphite rods) will take a before and after CCS measurement. Other than doing that, it is all conjecture.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster