I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

small diameter winding checks
Posted by: Peter Chan (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: May 14, 2011 12:49AM

Does anyone know of a source for small diameter aluminum or NS winding checks (between .19" to .24") that have more of a classic/traditional look with a knurled finish like what you might find on a Winston fly rod or something similar? I have used the cheap black rubber winding checks and the more futuristic Batson AWCCO winding checks, but I am looking for something with a more classic/traditional look. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: small diameter winding checks
Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 14, 2011 11:47AM

Pete,Take your caliper and go to a craft store or sewing center and check out the buttons they sell.All you need is the correct OD, then drill out the ID at home.Some really nice finishes in gold, copper,brass,silver. If you would like them to be domed, take a deep socket that matches or comes close to the OD of the button and set the socket standing up on a flat surface. Center the button( supported by the edges of the socket) on top and strike with a ball peen hammer. The same an be accomplished by using a vise , the socket, and a large ball bearing(if you have one). Align all items in the vise and then slowly crank in the vise until you have cupped the button to the desired effect. Of coarse, before you do any of this you must drill out the ID of the button.
I know it seems like a lot of work for a winding check but that's where custom comes from.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 14, 2011 11:55AM

Interesting, I'm gonna look into this Dennis! Can you show some pics of this finished winding check or the sample buttons your using in the process for some insite on this. This looks like a great way to get out of jam of an "ID" being to short or just plan looking for something unique! Inventive! Have a great day !

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: May 14, 2011 12:20PM

God Morning Peter,
Go to the Angler's Workshop ( one of our sponsors at the left) website and you will find a list of the nickel silver winding checks down to a size 13. If you can use an aluminum winding check that has been anodized to look like nickel silver, you can find a list of those on the BatsonRainshadowAlps (another of our sponsors) website. There are other sponsors listed on the left who also may carry what you need. Good luck.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 14, 2011 12:58PM

Rick, At the moment I do not have samples or pictures. I only do this on a needed basis. In the past I have used coins, bottle caps,and buttons from uniforms.At one time I had access to a arbor press which made things effortless.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: May 14, 2011 09:32PM

Matagi makes plain ones (no knurling) down to 5mm (.197"), in several different colors, including silver. Merrick Tackle ( a wholesaler and sponsor) lists them in their catalog. I'd check with any of the sponsors who carry Fuji, or who can order from Merrick's (Schneider's Rod Shop, another sponsor, listed on left side of this screen). On the other hand, the ones on Angler's Workshop's website look pretty nice, too.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2011 10:29PM by George Forster.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster