I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rods to put in an outdoor store?
Posted by: Tony Childs (---.196.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: May 15, 2011 11:24AM

Whether its about the money or love of the craft, I just can't stand to see peoples work labled or degraded based on peoples opinions of how rods should be built. There are many factors that come into play in pricing, types of rods, artwork, etc... Building what you enjoy, charging a price that your satisfied with, and supplying a quality product that people want are all good things and shouldn't be labled or chastised because it doesn't fit someones mold. Anyone in any type of business that doesn't listen and cater to their customers, but instead plows ahead with blinders on will end up in the Food Stamp line. In the same spirit, if you build rods for the love of the art and build only those types of rods, good for you as well. Each person has to decide why they build rods, it is all good.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 15, 2011 11:30AM

Well said, Tony!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: May 15, 2011 01:15PM

I think you have some heavy questions to answer for yourself but this can be very profitable if done correctly. Things related to assembly, components, profit points, marketing, etc.

Every production rod company out there started from zero at some point and ended up in stores at some point. If your plan is solid, go for it.

You have to adjust your mindset to be prepared for a different type of rodbuilding than what is discussed here a majority of the time though.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 15, 2011 01:16PM

Tony, I agree with your last post 100%. I've been building rods before ELVIS HAS LEFT THE BUILDING (1977) and I just can't stand it when I see a rack of rods in a shop and the shopkeeper says"Those are our CUSTOM RODS".Custom labeled maybe! If you want to make money selling rods, you don't have to sell out of a tackle shop, anyone would be willing to take a percentage of the sale.You local coffee shop or deli has 500% more traffic than a tackle shop.Your exposure to the people in your town would be that much greater and a sale would come that much sooner.To each his own.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 15, 2011 03:56PM

Tony............Whether its about the money or love of the craft, I just can't stand to see peoples work labled or degraded based on peoples opinions of how rods should be built.
I agree with you 110% So many people in this craft are stuck on the phrase "Custom Built". Just because it is not "Custom Built" for the buyer isn`t it still custom built to some one elses specifications? Thanks Tony, VERY WELL SAID.

Jim..........There is a saying older than any of us ... "No one is a prophet in their own land". A ton of wisdom exists in that statement and it has been proven over and over throughout the centuries past.
I`m not so sure, there seems to be many so called, self appointed prophets when it comes to certain topics

Dennis.....Dave, If you want to be known as a custom rod builder,you have to build custom rods
See my comments to Tony.

I `ve known Dave for quite awhile and I am kind of taking this as a personal slam as he is a friend of mine. The quality of his work is nothing to sneeze at . He can and does build custom rods. (Dave, I hope my next couple of sentences are not in appropiate) if they are call me and I will remove them. Dave has done what a lot of you men would not do. He is a disabled veteran from Operation Dessert Storm. He has had some very serious injuries. His life as he knew it prior to enlisting to serve our country will never be the same. He is not able to work even close to a full time job. He is only trying to earn a living

Tell me, what is wrong with building a rod on consignment? Custom home builders do it all the time. They are called spec homes, They are built on the speculations they will sell.

Not every one has had the opportunities that others on this and other forums have had. Just because someone does not have the clientle list built up or live in a certain region of the country does not make them any less of a builder. All of you who in the past have clmbed up on that high horse of yours, (and you know there are plenty of you), Well, it is time to dismount and be a true builder and do not be little some one trying to help them selves.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2011 06:39PM by Bill Eshelman.

Date: May 15, 2011 06:54PM

Bill, Tony, If I needed side curtains or a cover for a tuna tower, would that be in the back of the store or on the counter next to the bobbers and split shot?

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: May 15, 2011 07:09PM

I'm not trying to make it all complicated. I just want to build rods, repair them and sell enough repairs and or rods to be able to build more and have fun doing it. I'm most definitely not in it for the money, never have been. For everyone that says it's a bad idea to put your rods in a tackle shop, shoot Mark Crouse an e-mail and ask him how he got started. He used to do the exact same thing (on consignment). It may not work for me, or it may. I was just looking for friendly advice, that's all. I needed help and several of you have given me some good ideas. Again. I really appreciate it and I still won't know what I will do until we talk it all out. I'm not in a hurry. Anyway, thanks again to everyone for the ideas and suggestions.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: May 15, 2011 07:10PM

You got to love this guys sense of humor.

He should know they would be next to the custom built rods.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 15, 2011 07:38PM

Bill Eshelman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jim..........There is a saying older than any of
> us ... "No one is a prophet in their own land". A
> ton of wisdom exists in that statement and it has
> been proven over and over throughout the centuries
> past.
> I`m not so sure, there seems to be many so
> called, self appointed prophets when it comes to
> certain topics

> Bill

My comment was to point out the reason for David's previous statement about selling more rods outside his local area than within it. Many rodbuilders are in that same boat, for the reason I noted.

While I wouldn't rule out consignment, it IS something that many builders have tried (myself included) with less than positive results. The same can be said for "building business" by giving rods away ... pro staff, charities, etc. Again, I do build for charities but I consider it a good deed - definitely not a marketing tool.

My suggestion is to use the search tool for this forum. Years of information is readily available. Sure, it is loaded with opinions but also well-documented experiences.

My best regardless of the decision in this case.

Jim -

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.196.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: May 15, 2011 09:52PM

Dennis D., your going to have to draw me a picture, no idea what your point is? I have no problems listening to or even accepting all the different ideas presented on this forum, it is always a wealth of knowlege. State your point without the riddle, it may be a good one.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: May 15, 2011 10:41PM

There's definitely a bias that appears when folks start talking about selling rods in stores... for everyone who said it didn't work... answer this (out of curiosity) - let's throw repair stuff out the door and talk selling rods...

Did you require payment upfront (or on terms) for the rods you placed in the store or did you put them there on a consignment basis?

I know if I had your rod in my shop that was there on consigment and rod X that I already have $50 - $100 wrapped up in on the floor... I'm going to push rod X first simply to recoop my investment, get my 40 - 45% markup, not have to deal with cutting you a check, and have another in to replace it on the next order, which could be Tuesday - not 2 - 4 weeks as many builders take to build one.

-----------------
AD

Date: May 16, 2011 12:33AM

Tony, All I'm trying to do is define what custom is. I don't care who, where,why, or what reason anyone builds rods or for how much they charge and profit by doing it. That's their business. I didn't discourage anyone by saying it was a bad idea to build rods for a shop. I was asked to do the same but, I felt it was of a lesser goal of my abilities and besides I'm not in it for the money. All I said was" If you want to be known as a custom rod builder, then you have to build custom rods" it's not a false statement, it's not an opinion,it's the truth. I refuse to build for people that don't know what they want. I'll send them to another builder or to K-MART. A true fisherman doesn't care how much his rod is worth, it's true value is in it's performance and if a guy comes to you and can tell you what he wants or doesn't want you should be able to deliver. You were the one that said you didn't care if your rods were custom as long as you were making money. You also said that some people were hung up on the custom rod phrase. I'm just trying to defend my statement.

Bill, I don't believe I made an offensive remark to you,your friend, or anybody else. If building rods for money is what your into, by all means take every avenue to succeed. Just because I made that statement doesn't mean I'm against all who don't build for the same reason that I do.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: May 16, 2011 02:05AM

Dennis

it seems your statement took on another meaning when it hit my monitor.

Why dont we just put thithing to bed ? I think I will go too since I have to be up at 3:30 am.

No hard feelings,

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Date: May 17, 2011 08:25AM

Bill and to ALL, Same here. It was never my intention to slight anyone in anyway. Peace and thank you.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster