I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rods to put in an outdoor store?
Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: May 13, 2011 03:17PM

I just had a request to put some rods in a local outdoor store. The request was for a "variety" of rods. They want one of each to begin with (fly, casting, spinning). My question is what blanks would you use for this? These would be for freshwater only, no big stuff so I'm just not sure what kind of package to put together. Does anyone have any suggestions on set ups? These would go in on consignment so I can't really build to suit one particular person.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rods to put in an outdoor store?
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 13, 2011 03:34PM

#1 ... they won't be custom rods at that point, simply small-scale production rods.
#2 ... you should search the forum using the term "consignment". There's quite a bit of information already posted.

In respect to blanks ... Rainshadow RX7. Aggressively priced, available at many distributors, widespread acceptance among non-builders (they are sold by Cabela's, for example) and high quality standards.

Be sure to have a WRITTEN contract between you and the store. Having a solid understanding of responsibilities, for both parties, is essential to this type of business relationship.

Date: May 13, 2011 03:47PM

That is what I told the owner, that they won't be custom built for one particular person. He assured me that he understood that and just wanted to have "professional rods" in there as opposed to the common brand cheap combo set ups. Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to check it out really good before I commit to this.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 13, 2011 03:59PM

My experience in doing this was less than stellar.

I met a fellow at a bass club who was opening an outdoor store. He offered to put one of my rods in his store, to help both him and me.

The rod was there for a couple of months, and I stopped by to him, and check on the rod. The place was an hour from me.. He said everyone picked up the rod, and liked it, but could not get over the spiral wrapped micro guides. He was not a rod builder, so he could not explain the advantages of a spiral wrap.. I built another rod, with micro guides all on top, and took it over to him. It sat there for about four months.

He had marked the rods up about 20%, which made them the highest price rods in his store. Most everyone bought the $69.00 to $99.00 rods. Mine were a lot more!

Lesson 1 - You need to be able to explain the advantages of your rod.to the customer who is buying it. Most clerks in sporting goods stores probably won't be able to do that.. This shop owner could not.

Lesson 2 - Given a choice between a factory rod, and an unknown custom rod, the average fisherman will buy a factory rod, primarily due to price and possibly reputation.

I would not put another rod in a tackle shop on consignment. I just don't think you can compete with the factory rods, as the final decision will be based on price in that scenario.

Regards
Bert Nagy

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: May 13, 2011 04:01PM

If you go ahead with this make sure the owner is clear on who is responsible for any in-store rod breakage!

Date: May 13, 2011 04:11PM

The owner actually used to do repairs on rods and reels and basically sent me his business, so he would be able to explain the pros of the rods, but I think more than anything he is looking to slowly build up his rod section to higher end rods. It helps that I know the guy and the store is one street over from my house. My main concern was whether I should go all out or just build with moderately priced blanks, handles and guides. I think I have my answer, though: just use moderately priced good components. I'll let everyone know if I actually do it and how it works out: or if it works out LOL.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: billy broderick (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 13, 2011 04:57PM

I too would reccomend against this. I had no luck with this type of thing at all. First off its not a custom rod. The only way i would do it again is with a note saying "Not for sale" and making it a eye catcher for my custom work. Then having brochures and business cards so guys can get ahold of me for a custom job. Now some dont want to wait. Those are the type of posers that will only buy one rod anyway and they dont really want a custom rod just want something that looks cool. My best business is with repeat customers that are hard core fishermen who shop with me to get a custom rod. Not spur of the moment purchase guys.

Date: May 13, 2011 05:21PM

That's a good idea Billy. The owner might even like that (with a note saying "Not for sale" and making it a eye catcher for my custom work. Then having brochures and business cards so guys can get ahold of me for a custom job). I'm going in Monday to talk with him more about what he's looking for. I do know that he wants high end stuff in his store. Maybe if I could just make maybe 3 rods (fly, casting, spinning). I sure don't want to go into business with him and I am only really looking for enough business to pay for my hobby. He has sent me a few customers out of Niagra Falls, NY. They come down here a few times a year for hunting and fishing. I told him that I don't have the capability to produce multiple rods quickly, so I hope him and I are on the same page. I also really appreciate all the advice from you guys. I would rather ask someone else before I do something I'll regret later.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 13, 2011 05:53PM

Here's an idea for you - offer to provide rod repair service. Pick up rods one day a week, return them a week later.

The rod repair business is, in many ways, more lucrative than the rod building business. And, it gets your name out to a good many fishermen, some of whom may eventually return to purchase a custom rod.

Plus, any shop that offer rod repair has a real advantage over their competitors, not to mention that it gets a guy into their store twice - once to drop the rod off, and once to pick it up. More traffic generally equals more business.

Date: May 13, 2011 06:11PM

Good idea Tom. That should help his business as well by getting customers in his store. He's growing really fast because of the amount of deer here. People come from all over to hunt here and are slowly finding out that there are some good fishing areas here as well. Thanks again. I bet he'll go for that. Maybe I'll be able to make some of the money back that I spent at the expo this year!

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 13, 2011 07:14PM

Dave,

You better make some of it up. There is only 8 - 9 months before the next one and I bet you will spend even more next year.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Date: May 13, 2011 07:23PM

I hear ya Bill.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 13, 2011 08:46PM

David something many rodbuilders who are in your position do not think about.

Put youself in the position of the shop owner.

The stock in his store belongs to him - he paid money for it.

His profit and ability to stay in business involves turning over his stock in a profitable manner.

Most in the tackle business expect an average of 45 points mark up.

The store has overhead and expenses.

If a guy walks into his store and spends $ 200.

Would you try to sell products you owned or something that was on consignment. Follow the money.

It would be better if you had products that the customers were asking to buy!

Build a better rod that the shop owner needs - put his store name on them so he will work to develop his brand.

Rodbuilding can be a very good business.

Then when you take the rods to his shop collect for them just like all of his other vendors.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 13, 2011 08:57PM

Dave,

The bulk of my business is repair but I do it a little different. I have a couple stores that give out my name/number and card and they contact me. They call me up and bring the rod to my shop. Most of them that come into my shop are not even aware of custom rods and are very curious and have a lot of questions. The way I look at it is that I have a captive audience and I get a number of new builds that way, if not right away, often down the line. Many times they bring friends with them.

In my opinion, having customers drop off and pick up their repairs at a shop pretty much removes me from the picture! Nothing beats having a potential customer in your shop, seeing rod builds in progress and seeing how rods are built and what options are available.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 14, 2011 01:37AM

Dave, If you want to be known as a custom rod builder,you have to build custom rods!

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: May 14, 2011 07:19AM

Thanks again for all the help guys.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.196.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: May 14, 2011 09:19PM

Seems like a lot of people around here get real hung up on the "custom" word. Some kind of feather in a hat or something? Who cares if anyone calls your rods "custom" if they are making you money? Some peoples niche or geographical area won't support $400 rods and you will starve building just "custom" rods. I know in my area mid Michigan, you will starve making only $400 rods. Big lakes fishing is king around here and fishermen won't spend that kind of money when they carry 30 or more rods on their boat. Building rods that purist rodbuilders talk down about may be your only way of making money. Don't get me wrong, I build my share of high end "custom" rods each year, but I certainly don't let the "Custom" word keep me from building what makes me money, and keeps the wait list long, trolling rods. Nothing fancy, nothing artistic, but certainly not retail. Custom or not, I don't care. If your building what your area or customers want, your making the money you need, and your quality is the best it can be for the applications, who cares if others bless it as "custom". I agree with what others have said. Make sure you have a very good written agreement with your customer with selling your rods retail. Enjoy and have fun with it. Just sayin. Fire away.

Date: May 14, 2011 11:01PM

I was given a copy of an example of a consignment agreement by a fellow builder today, (Thanks Bill). Some of you out there know where I live. I live in a small town (Coshocton, OH) of 15,000. There is only 1 fishing club here and it is combined with a hunting/shooting club with the most emphasis on the gun part. It is downright hard to sell custom, hand built rods here. My V.A rep, my Dr. and a few others know and appreciate the value and art of a true custom rod. I don't have a "shop" per se, I have a corner in a large master bed room and half of a small basement for turning grips, finishing long rods, etc. If I can get a little business by putting three nice looking, well built rods in that store, I'll probably do it. I was given some good advice on this forum and this morning at breakfast while talking to the other ORBS (Ohio Rod Builders) and some of it was from experience in the same type of deal. It seems that I have several options to talk with the owner about. There are tons of good ideas out there, and it helps that I personally know the owner. If this works out for the good, I'll be more than happy to share the details and maybe help someone else who is just looking to pay for their hobby or get started in the business. I actually got more business from customers who live outside Ohio last year than from locals. Maybe I can eventually get some more local business.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 14, 2011 11:39PM

There is a saying older than any of us ... "No one is a prophet in their own land". A ton of wisdom exists in that statement and it has been proven over and over throughout the centuries past.

You might want to look hard at the advice to offer repair work ONLY through the dealer. Those that appreciate the quality of the repair will inquire further and, at that time, you can address those requests without doing consignment rods.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 15, 2011 10:54AM

Tony, If your in it for the money, God Bless You,there are a lot of people with it who don't care how they spend it. So its up to you to show em how.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster