I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NGC placement vs static load placement
Posted by: Ken Tong (---.mobile.mymmode.com)
Date: April 27, 2011 04:32PM

When I load the rod, the static load placement says I should move the choker guide I put there based on the NGC...which takes precedence?

Thanks,
Ken

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NGC placement vs static load placement
Posted by: Russell Brunt (12.77.249.---)
Date: April 27, 2011 05:10PM

Just curious. How are you loading the rod? For example, do you mount the reel, string the line through the guides, and tie the line off to a heavy object several feet away, and crank down on the reel?

How far would you want to move the choker guide to make things "right"?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 27, 2011 05:21PM

Moving the choker guide a half inch or inch in either direction won't change much of anything. If you feel the need to do it, do so.

Posted by: Ken Tong (---.mobile.mymmode.com)
Date: April 27, 2011 06:00PM

I followed the steps for both...38.1mm x 27 = 40.5" from the reel face.
That's 30.5" from the tip of a 7' blank, first guide from the tip 4.5" (moved from 4" based on static), four more guides @ 5" intervals based on static(they all moved down .5"), 6" to the choker; to make that straight line between center of reel and choker, I have the a butt guide 5" away from the choker, with the butt guide closest to the reel about 13" down from that...8 guides total...
It just to happened that the blank liked the placement of everything but the choker, and it seems like moving it up an inch to and inch and a half would make the blank and the line match as I load it...though that may require the smaller butt guide to move some as well...

Thanks for the clarification Tom,
Ken

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2011 11:39PM

Don't get so hung up on the choker placement , nothing is in stone and X27 is only a guide to help get a choker placement.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: April 28, 2011 09:46AM

A newbie question, as I have wondered about the 27x as well.

My experience is limited to 4 spinning rods all 8'6"-9 foot salmon rods.

What *seems* more important than the 27x rule is how far the first guide is from the spool. One rod I I set up it was almost 28 inches, which seems too far. The last one I did would have set up like that, but I placed the butt guide at 24 inches, and moved the choke guide back a similar amount. In the end this made the choker more like 25x from the spool face. It maintains the same guide slope, and distance from the butt guide to the choker guide. Additionally, I followed the guidelines from the Rodmaker article in the archives and placed the running guides at equal intervals- 1st guide at 4 inches, then the rest equal and 4.75 inches apart.

So my question is, will the 25x vs the 27x make any difference?

Any validity to the idea that spool to butt guide distance is important?

Does the type of rod and handle length vs rod length in particular, change the suitability of the 27x rule?

Interesting stuff.

Thanks,

Drew

Date: April 28, 2011 11:24AM

The spool to butt guide is indeed important and will vary depending upon reel spool size, and line type and size. The 27X factor will work very well with a large variety of reel sizes and line types. It's safe for nearly any set up. However, you can tweak that factor for your specific outfit and sometimes get a little more performance out of it. Which sounds to me like what you've done.

Posted by: Joel Barnett (---.dsl.dynamic.sonic.net)
Date: April 28, 2011 10:05PM

Can you apply this NGC to casting rods spiraled? I was particularly thinking about the spacing of the guides after the choker guide. Since all those guides are evenly spaced, would it be appropriate on a casting blank to evenly space the guides after the transition has been made to the bottom of the blank? I was thinking maybe space the first few a little farther apart to reduce guide numbers, and then evenly to the tip?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 29, 2011 08:42AM

Also it sounds like you are using the line from the reel though the guides To load the blank. That line should have weight to just put tension on the line. Then another line tied to the tip to load the blank

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 29, 2011 08:44AM

Equi-distant guide placement isn't really the NGC (although can be employed with it). However, you can certainly do so on a casting rod if you wish. If you use this method along the major length of the rod, you'll end up with a few more guides than absolutely necessary. But it'll work. What you propose, spacing the guides more progressively near the butt and then shifting to equi-distant spacing, is better.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster