I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish issue
Posted by: Bill Tune (---.wasco-inc.com)
Date: April 25, 2011 12:26PM

I just finished a spinning rod build and had an issue with the finish on the bottom two guides. In fact I have had the same problem a couple of times before. Here are details, size A NCP thread, Threadmaster Lite finish. Right where the thread breaks over the edge of the guide (a size 25, and a 16) the finish has what looks like bumps or thread fuzzies in it. After 3 coats and sanding the area before the last coat the places are still there. I do not think there were wrapped to tight since I had no problem with small adjustments. Is this a result of the finish or something I am doing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish issue
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 25, 2011 01:20PM

why are you sanding? Just slice off the nubs after teh first coat with a razorblade.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 25, 2011 01:21PM

Billy Vivona Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> why are you sanding? Just slice off the nubs after
> teh first coat with a razorblade.

yep

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 25, 2011 01:22PM

Bill,

What will sometimes happen is that when you are going up the guide foot the thread will slip off and get a bit frayed and cause the fuzzy issue. What I do is run my torch over the wraps as I spin it to help singe any fuzz prior to finishing.

Tight lines,

John Hernandez
SoCal

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 25, 2011 03:16PM

This sounds to me like the guide foot was not "prepped" well enough. The transition from the blank up the guide foot should not "slip" create a bump or a gap. If it is then you need to taper the leading edge some more.

Date: April 25, 2011 05:05PM

The problem was on top part of guide. The taper of the foot had no problems. I have never tapered the sides of the foot should I be doing so? I am not explaing this well enough but the stuff seem to pop through where the thread goes off the edge and multiple coats do not help. It seems like the finish will not stay on the "corner" or edge of the guide.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 25, 2011 05:39PM

It's not a problem, slice it of with a razorblade and put finish ove rit and stop worrying

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: April 25, 2011 05:49PM

If you post a picture it will help so everyone can see the issue you are having.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 25, 2011 07:48PM

Bill

I have had the same problems with the finish not wanting to cover completely on the sides of the guide feet. When I'm prepping my guides I now taper the sides of the guide foot a little. I don't file it round or anything - just take the sharper edge down! That seems to work for me. I also started putting on thinner multiple coats of finish. More coats helped too.

Rog

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2011 12:02AM

Bill,
When I prep a guide foot, I use a belt sander to prep the guide foot.
I start at the end of the foot, and as the sander is spinning shape and thin the guide foot from the tip to the upright part of the guide. I further shap and thin the edges of the guide foot, so that the edges as well as the tip of the guides are near razor thinness.

Then, when wrapping the thread, the line just flows up the guide and nicely drapes tightly to the sides of the guide foot.

Take care
Roger

Date: April 26, 2011 11:10AM

I tried to post a picture but it did not work? I think I will just cut these two off and round off the guide edges. It seems that the finish does not want to cover a sharp edge as I had the same problem with a hook holder formed from a shaped wire about as thick as a paper clip. I conclude that the edge is the problem and more coats does not help as the finish just seems to flow off. Rodger I use a Dremel and files and will round off the sides from now on. Wish I had a sander, and a lathe, well a power wrapper too! By the way it is not a problem with smaller sized guides.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 26, 2011 11:22AM

If you can find it there is a picture of a well preped guide on the photo page

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

A good one [www.rodbuilding.org]

Some

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2011 11:33AM by bill boettcher.

Date: April 26, 2011 11:54AM

Quite inexpensive:

[www.harborfreight.com]

Date: April 26, 2011 02:23PM

Wow Rodger that sander looks like a good deal. Would be worth it even for the small amount of rods I build. Thanks Bill I am nowhere near doing that much grinding on my guides. Any tips on what to coat them with to keep rust away, mine are SS SIC's?

Date: April 26, 2011 02:39PM

Bill,

The nice thing about the sander is that it is relatively small, doesn't take up much bench space and can be used for a myriad of uses.
Sanding guides, sanding grips, sanding blank ends. squaring up reel seats and ends of rods. Cleaning up wood working projects. With the right sanding belt also does a first clast job in sharpening knives as well as tools and reshaping ends of screwdrivers etc.
You can use it to make an end wrench a different size.

Good luck
Roger

p.s.
My name is spelled with no D.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 27, 2011 08:27AM

Bill

Get a drill and a small grinding wheel from say Home Depot Which your fingers and give them a quick grind then file. A little 220 sand paper

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster