I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cork grip preserve
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 19, 2011 12:31PM

I have never put a cork preserve or protector on my grips. I am considering it now What is your opinion and please name some good products that you have used thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cork grip preserve
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2011 12:37PM

I don't use it, but if you do, U-40 has an excellent reputation.

Roger

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mw.usar.army.mil)
Date: April 19, 2011 03:55PM

The only time I do is with burl or composit cork, then when I do it is either spar or true oil.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 19, 2011 05:10PM

I use Birchwood Casey Tru Oil when I mix burl into the grips. It is a protectant, but it also makes the burl really pop (visually).

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: April 19, 2011 05:35PM

I use U-40 on my burl cork handles and it really pulls the grain in the cork out.

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Posted by: Walt Natzke (170.146.227.---)
Date: April 19, 2011 06:35PM

I use U-40 as well, but modify the application procedure a bit.

The instructions indicate that a second coat has no effect, but I find that it does.
I sand the grip down to 320 wet/dry and then apply a generous coat of Cork Sealer.
I sand again with 320 and apply a second coat, and then, when dry, do another VERY light sanding with 320 to create a bit of "nap".

This seals the cork very well but provides a little bit better "gription" for the hand.

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 19, 2011 07:23PM

I mostly use Tru-Oil (gunstock finish) makes the cork really pop besides protection (I use pretty much only burl corks)
u-40 sealer also does an excellent job

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2011 10:13PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: April 19, 2011 09:47PM

I used Johnson's paste wax for years, and then switched to the U-40 sealer. The U-40 seems to go deeper into the cork. I still do 2 coats of the paste wax after the U-40 dries. It gives some depth to the shine.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: April 20, 2011 01:22PM

I use U-40 on cork, and wax on the blank. ;)

Posted by: Jon Gold (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 20, 2011 03:46PM

I sand down to 320 grit. Then I wipe the cork dust off.
Then one coat of U40. Let it dry.
Then I put on a coat of (don't laugh) chap stick.
After a day or so I wipe off the excess chap stick with a paper towel.

Jon

Posted by: Todd Badgley (---.sub-75-202-224.myvzw.com)
Date: April 20, 2011 04:43PM

Instead of Tru Oil Gun finish, I have started using Icy-Hot. Two thin coats then I buff to a high gloss finish. Just recently I have been sanding down with 220 then 320 then 600. A quick splash of Brut, to keep that fishy smell away, and now I'm ready for grip decals. Simple as that, no fuss - no worry. Anyone ever try Vitalis?? Dad used it everyday!

Posted by: Walt Natzke (170.146.227.---)
Date: April 20, 2011 05:11PM

LOL. I suppose the Icy-Hot provides relief to those aching hands when the fishing is hot!

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 20, 2011 05:16PM

I have used and like the yellowing look of cork when I thin finish to a watery state and put - after cleaning the cork WELL - on with a paper towel The thin state helps to soak in more and just one coat still gives it a nice color seals and nice feel.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: April 21, 2011 12:08PM

I'm sorry...could you repeat the question? ;)

Posted by: Ed Casteel (---.mycingular.net)
Date: April 22, 2011 10:10PM

If you like an antique look meaning darkened and yellow tung oil works well and is easy to freshen up and repair. Try it first on a scrap to make sure you like the color change. I like it more on lessor cork grades than on clearer grades such as flor grade. Btw on lessor grades I don't use filler, I prefer a natural look. Being a woodworker I hate wood putty on anything unless it is to be painted over.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster