I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

lathe tool storage ideas
Posted by: Walt Davenport (63.97.59.---)
Date: April 14, 2011 12:28PM

I could use some suggestions for lathe tool storage for my new jet mini with extended bed on jet stand. I've gone from an old lathe mounted to a bench where I had everything handy to this and now could use some ideas to get me organized and keep my tools close.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lathe tool storage ideas
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2011 01:08PM

Walt,
A rubbermaid container works just fine.
Roger

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: April 14, 2011 01:08PM

I just keep mine under a pile of cork dust and sandpaper scraps.

Thanks starting this topic, Walt. I will be watching for ideas, because I need them!

Posted by: Walt Natzke (170.146.227.---)
Date: April 14, 2011 02:20PM

Chuck Mills Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just keep mine under a pile of cork dust and
> sandpaper scraps.
>

LOL, Chuck, that is where I keep MOST of my tools!

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2011 02:56PM

take a look at the new trex tool caddy offered by woodturners catalog..it will give you some great ideas..i also use pvc for mandrels and such and have a magnetic tool holder on the wall for the most frequently used lathe tools

Posted by: Rena Hall (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: April 14, 2011 05:49PM

Walt,

I use Walmart's Modular plastic Drawers. You can see dozens of different sizes at this link:

[www.walmart.com]

Rena

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2011 08:02PM

H. Freight & N.Tools have magnetic strips. Have some on wall behind lathe

Date: April 14, 2011 08:45PM

Walt,
Rather than leaving the tools out in the open - subject to rust and moisture, I find that keeping the tools, chuck etc. etc. in a closed up box really helps to keep all of the tools clean, free of corrosion etc. that can be rather common in some work place environments.
That is the reason that I suggested the use of a rubbermaid or similar box.

When working on a job, take the two or three tools out that you need for the job, and then close th box back up. That keeps the dust, dirt and moisture out of the unused tools.

Here in the midwest, especially when coming out of the winter season, unless a person takes special pains, tools that have been left in unheated, or only seldom heated work spaces and subject to a great deal of condensation, can have some big rusting issues, come spring.

I would think that on the humid parts of the east coast, one might have similar issues. Of course the optimum is 24 hour by 365 constant humidity and temperature to avoid these issues.

Be safe and enjoy your lathe. It is a very good one.

Roger

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 14, 2011 09:38PM

Take a piece of wood (about 1" x 3") whatever length you need and use a Forstner bit of the correct size to put holes that will allow your turning tools to hang through to the handle with the ferrule fitting snug enough to hold the tools upright and leaving the tool itself visible for easy selection.. Mount the board anywhere that's convenient.

Simple, quick and convenient.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 17, 2011 10:50AM

Some good ideas here, I think I'll probably make a small shelf on the bottom rail of the stand and secure a few rubbermaid drawers to it and also add a couple magnetic strips within reach.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Date: April 18, 2011 05:11PM

Walt,
One other thing that may or may not have been mentioned.
If you like, and especially if you have handles that are all the same size on your lathe tools - find a pvc pipe that will give the handles a nice fit.
Then, take a nice board that is a bit wider than the diameter of the pvc pips.
Figure how many tools you need to store.

Then, take a fostner bit, or an adjustable hole cutting bit - do some test drilling on a piece of scrap, until you have a hole size that give the pvc pipe a tap in fit into the board.

Then, use an abrasive wheel, or chop saw with an abrasive wheel in it to cu tthe pvc tubes to the lengths of the handle minus about 1/2 inch or so. The idea is that you will store the lathe tools upside down by the handles being dropped into the pvc tubes.

You can drill the board so that you have about 1/4 inch space between the outside edges of the pvc pipes.

When done drilling the holes, take a drill and drill a couple of holes through the width of the mounting board.

Now, take your trimmed pvc pipes and tap them into the holes in the board that are a tight fit for the pipes.

Finally, use a couple of long screws to mount the board to the side of your work bench or table or wall.

Now, just drop the lathe tools into the pipes upside down, and you can see at a glance the tool that you want to use. Many lathe tools have a tool cutting width that is smaller than the width of the handle. So, that is why I will often make a holder that supports the tool by the handle. If you have a matched set of tools, then the handles will be the same.

I tend to dislike the use of magnetic tool holders because they will slip now and then, but the biggest reason is that magnetic tool holders will magnetize the tools. If you work with magnetized tools, any ferros metallic tool shavings that are laying around the area will be attracted to the tools and can sometimes get in the way.

Take care and be safe

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster