I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St. Croix blank comparison
Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2011 05:30PM

Building a 7' bait casting crankbait rod for 1/4 - 5/8 oz. crankbaits mostly and occaisionally a 3/4 oz.,
Will use 8 - 14 lb. test flourocaron mostly, fishing for largemouth and smallmouth bass.
I plan to use a #7 df, #6 df and #4 micros with a 4.5 tip.

Looking at the 3C70MM and the 2C70MM, anyone built on these?

I'm kind of leaning towards the 2C... SCII (IM6 vs. IM7) blank.

I just bought a Castaway XP3 843 (8-17 line, 3/8 - 5/8 oz.) and I wil build it up first.
Right now it seems a bit "stiff".

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St. Croix blank comparison
Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: April 13, 2011 07:48PM

Depends entirely on what size lure you fish the most. If you're really gonna' throw 1/4 to 3/8 oz. baits, then the 70MM is a gem. I own and fish the 3C66MM with those smallish cranks, and it is a true pleasure to fish. You'll love it.

If, however, you're actually going to fish 3/8 to 5/8 oz lures most of the time, then the 70MM is not nearly powerful enough, IMO. You need to step up to the 3C70MHM. It too is an awesome rod, and I use mine mostly for 1/2-3/4 oz. traps and DD22s.

The real answer to this question is to buy the 3C70MM AND the 3C70MHM, build them up exactly the same, and have the perfect rod(s) for every cranking application. But, if I had to choose one, I'd go with the 3C70MHM, just because I can throw a 1/4 or 5/16 oz. bait on the 3C70MHM, when I need to. But, I really can't throw a 1/2 oz. bait on my 3C66MM, at least not without some trepidation.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.93.18.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 13, 2011 11:40PM

Not to change the subject on you but have you given any thought to the MHX CB845?
That blank will do you an awesome job and will cover the full range of both line and lure weights you have listed. While crank baits aren't something I use much in the salt water world, I've got this blank and it is a true fish getter. Plus at that price, you could probably build 2 for the same money as one or dang close to it.
Feel free to e-mail me and we can discuss this further.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 13, 2011 11:58PM

Matthew I have to totally agree on the MHX although the CB843 is closer, I feel, to what he is looking for in line weight and action. Not only is the cost lower but the warranty is lifetime on a MHX.
You won't be dissappointed.

Tom

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: April 14, 2011 06:06AM

1C70MM is what I fish. I am partial to glass for crankbaits. You can put a LOT of pressure on these blanks when needed AND the action is ideal. I know it is "old school" not to be using graphite, but I really enjoy grabbing glass when appropriate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2011 06:06AM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: April 14, 2011 06:24AM

Steven,
You'll be surprised at what that Castaway will do. With all micros (#4 all the way) and a Shimano Curado reel, that is absolutely the sweetest outfit made for throwin crankbaits as light as 1/4 oz. I've yet to throw a 3/4 oz on mine but the nice thing about it is that it's also good for chunkin small to medium buzzbaits a country mile when you need to start your retrieve way on the other side of the target. When the crankbait bite is off you don't have to stow it, you can use it for buzzin. The 3C6MM is also a good blank for throwin crankbaits like the Bandit 200 series - just loads up on a strike - the guys I've built it for love it for shorter range castin (25 yards). But, for the money and durability, I like the Castaway XP3 843.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 14, 2011 08:22AM

Tom Wewerka Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Matthew I have to totally agree on the MHX
> although the CB843 is closer, I feel, to what he
> is looking for in line weight and action. Not
> only is the cost lower but the warranty is
> lifetime on a MHX.
> You won't be dissappointed.
>
> Tom

You're right Tom. Since I looked at it again, That'd be my choice. I guess being up almost 24 hrs gets my eyes a little crossed.

Posted by: Wes Weaver (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 14, 2011 09:36AM

Build that castaway 843 first... you will very happy...traps or cranks...I would not be caught up in the im6 / im7 debate intill I finished the build on the castaway blank

Date: April 14, 2011 02:39PM

Thanks for all your opinions.
I am going to build up the Castaway and fish it before I go buying anything else.
It's gotten a lot of good reviews here on the board.

Greg that is exactly what I plan to do, use #4's and I''ll be using the new Curado I just bought.

Date: April 14, 2011 03:46PM

Steven Garvey Wrote:
> Greg that is exactly what I plan to do, use #4's
> and I''ll be using the new Curado I just bought.

Which Curado? I've tried the 50 but it wasn't what I thought it'd be so I went back to the 200E7.

Date: April 15, 2011 09:47AM

Yes, Matthew the 200E7.
I debated on the 200E5 as I've heard a lower gear ratio is better
for crankbaits but the E7 seemed better suited for all around use.

Date: April 15, 2011 01:07PM

Steven Garvey Wrote:
> Yes, Matthew the 200E7.
> I debated on the 200E5 as I've heard a lower gear
> ratio is better
> for crankbaits but the E7 seemed better suited
> for all around use.

I love mine but if I had started with the 50, the 200 would probably feel funny to me too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster