I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

LXN's to XPB's to Mini's??
Posted by: Greg Reali (---.losrios.edu)
Date: April 12, 2011 02:46PM

I'm looking at the Forecast/Alps options for a few casting rods, and I'm a little curious....

I haven't used their guides before, but I'm more than willing to try them out. I was looking at the options, and it seems that if I choose to go down to size 5 guides, I'm required to use the "Mini's." That's not the issue. I'm curious about both aesthetics and function.

What frame color do the mini's match up to? I was going to go with the XPBFLG's and XBLXNLG's. I wasn't sure what finish the mini's have.

The second concern is how does the transition look between the 6 F guide and the 5 Mini. Does the change warrant the use of the 5.5 mini?

Thanks!

GR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LXN's to XPB's to Mini's??
Posted by: Rob Hale (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2011 02:58PM

I never use more than two guide sizes on a casting rod anymore. A little larger butt guide and then step right down to the smallest guides I can get by with. Works great!

Date: April 12, 2011 03:07PM

No offense, but that doesn't really help me at all.....

Can you provide the sizes you use? What guides are you using?

I'm trying to avoid ordering guides I won't need, and not ordering guides I do. Also, that doesn't help me with the color issue either.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.physics.kent.edu)
Date: April 12, 2011 03:37PM

The guides you listed will match the black frame minis well, as will the non recessed ring design fly guide BFLG. Ordering a few extra guides and sizes won't break the bank on those models. The minis are under $1 each, and the smaller double foot LXNs are well under $2 each. Besides, keeping a few oddball sizes on hand won't hurt for those times you encounter a reel with a goofy geometry that requires the use of an odd size here or there.

Guide sizing depends on the requirements of the build. Do you need to pass any knots? Are they freshwater/inshore rods, etc.? It is hard to make a recommendation without knowing the purpose of the rod. Are you using a low profile narrow spool casting reel, spincasting reel, or a taller round reel with a wide spool? These things will all affect the sizing of the guide train.

On many setups, I use LXN6, mini 5, mini 4, mini3s to the tip, either all on top or spiraled. A buddy wanted a more traditional look, and I used a double foot 8, double foot 6, and fly 5s to tip.

Joe

Date: April 12, 2011 05:21PM

EXAMPLE:

blank: SB 843
low profile (curado?)
needs to pass knots

Is there a reason to start with a size 12 LXN or even 10 LXN? Is an 8 LXN more than big enough??

I would like to end up with 5's - but I don't see any 5 F's listed?? Would that just be the Mini's then?

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2011 07:06PM

Greg,

The 8mm LXN is plenty big enough for that reel. I normally use a 6mm LXN as a butt guide with similar sized reels. After that, you can go straight to the 5mm fly guides. The 5mm would be the minis. Give the 8mm LXN to fives a try, and possibly pick up a 6mm LXN to try and a 6mm XBFLG or BFLG in case you want try stepping down more slowly.

Joe

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nbrncmtc01.nwbrnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: April 12, 2011 09:23PM

Greg,

Skip the 8 and start with a 6 dbl foot or you can even use a single foot 5 and then smaller from there (If you like the double foot check with the Swampland boys and they can take care of you).

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2011 09:30PM

listen to Joe or Thamas

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster