I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Marking spacing on a blank
Posted by: Charles Angemeyer (---.syniverse.com)
Date: April 11, 2011 04:05PM

I am building a lot of the same kinds of rods lately. Therefore I patiently lay out my very long Lowe's metal ruler and mark off the places where the guides will be placed when it occured to me that maybe there should be a faster way to do this. Do any of you possibly have a faster way of marking guides if it is the same kind of blank over and over again? I figured that it was worth the ask. Thanks very much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marking spacing on a blank
Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 11, 2011 04:10PM

Charles

I make a paper template for every rod per the article in Rodmaker awhile back. Works quite well.

Bert Nagy

Posted by: Todd Badgley (---.sub-75-223-14.myvzw.com)
Date: April 11, 2011 04:20PM

I found a paper tape measure with adhesive backing at Hobby Lobby. I stuck it right onto my wrapper under the rod supports. It's pretty quick and easy to lay the rod on the tape to mark the spacing.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2011 04:53PM

I did the same thing as Todd although mine is stuck on my work table as well as the wrapper base. The adhesive tape measure is really nice and you get a lot of it. You can apply it just about anywhere in 12" sections or cut it shorter if necessary.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Walt Natzke (170.146.227.---)
Date: April 11, 2011 04:58PM

I have templates for some, use a measuring tape for those I build less often.

As far as MARKING the blank goes, I don't. Since I use small dental bands to hold the guides in place, I put the bands where I want the guides and then put the guides into the bands. One less thing to have to clean off of the blank...

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Date: April 11, 2011 05:05PM

I mark the blank because I generally remove the guides while wrapping the butt wrap and then place one guide at a time. That way the guides won't interfere with my rollers etc.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 11, 2011 05:21PM

Hi,

I take a scrap blank and lay it next to a completed rod in the lathe. I line up the tips. On the scrap blank I mark the ends of each wrap.

On the next rod to be wrapped I lay the marking blank next to the rod to be wrapped, tip to tip. Using a silver marking pen I mark the rod just before where the wraps end. I start my wraps just before the silver dot and that way it is covered. I use mostly metallic thread and the dot does not show thru.

If you use nylon thread use masking tape as a marker for where the wraps start..

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: billy broderick (---.sub-174-254-135.myvzw.com)
Date: April 11, 2011 05:26PM

Use the Tom K. rodmaker "story stick". Make it out of a register tape then just reroll it up label it and keep it for future use.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2011 05:46PM

I use Neil's method with a couple of exceptions.
Whenever I tape guides on a rod, I prefer to tape them in place when the rod is in the wrapper. It makes it simple to hold, keeps it level, easy to rotate and easy to mark.

For a given rod, I mark up a test rod with pieces of 1/8th inch wide tape. Then, I simply use the 1/8th inch tape to transfer the measurements to the blank being built. I can lay the bare blank beside the blank being built so it can be makred very quickly.

I have several test rods marked up - so that I can do this very quickly, Much easier to use the stiff blank, than a tape measure. Very easy to replicate and very quick to mark for the guide placements.

When placing the guides, I use the 1/8th inch tape to quickly affix the guides to the blank. Then, on to wrapping.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2011 07:27PM

When you guys mark your blanks do you measure and mark where the "loop" is or the front of the foot.
(i.e. if your first guide is 4" from the tip how do you position it)
I go by the location of the "loop"

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2011 07:42PM

I use the Tom and Billy method-Cash register tape. Mark and save

Date: April 11, 2011 08:19PM

Steven asked: When you guys mark your blanks do you measure and mark where the "loop" is or the front of the foot.
(i.e. if your first guide is 4" from the tip how do you position it)
I go by the location of the "loop"

I mark where the loop is.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: April 12, 2011 12:11AM

I have a 4" wide piece of 1/4" finished plywood. With a fine Sharpie I have marked a few guide layouts for what I build on each side of it. I just lay the blank next to its layout and mark it. I stick the board back in the corner when I'm done.

Greg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2011 12:12AM by Greg Foy.

Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.internet.mymmode.com)
Date: April 12, 2011 07:26AM

Barry Thomas Sr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use the Tom and Billy method-Cash register tape.
> Mark and save

I do the same, I've got a shoe box full of rod recipes, and make one for every new blank I build on.

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 12, 2011 07:39AM

Since ----- no two blanks flex the same ----- And this is proven
When blanks are made they can not make them flex all the same --- I put seat handle on Bands for guides with some extra. Glue on top. Space the bands with a tape measure Then static test Measure loop to loop,
When I like the spacing I wright it down for the next time if needed.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2011 09:07PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 12, 2011 10:22AM

Charles, Take a piece of mason cord about a foot longer than the rod, tie a knot in one end and pass the untied end thru the tip/top down the rod until you get to the butt. Secure the cord tightly with tape or a rubber band to the end of the butt so that the cord runs taut from tip to butt, now mark the cord with a Sharpie where your guides are located, even the placement of your grips & reelseat. Any additional info can be added by placing a piece of folded blue painters tape in the area where its needed.After you have completed your recipe , you can label and store them in many ways such as, the empty core from paper towels,envelopes,empty prescription containers and so on. This is a very durable system for many times of reuse .

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: April 12, 2011 10:58AM

Good idea Dennis

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 12, 2011 11:01AM

Dennis
Super idea!

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mw.usar.army.mil)
Date: April 12, 2011 11:44AM

Love that idea dennis! Seems like much less work than the others. Less is more in my book.

Posted by: Jim Meallows (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: April 12, 2011 09:24PM

I have a "soft" tape measure that you can get in a sewing store. 5 foot long. Piece of masking tape at each end and mark away

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster