I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Kids are honest and direct
Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2011 10:39AM

I was up at the rod shop near me talking with the owner about epoxy finishing.
My spin rod was layiing on the counter when a dad and his son came in.
His son was about (11) yrs. old - and building his own fly rod.

We got to talking and he asked me if that was my rod on the counter. He liked the split
grips and Diamond wrap I had done, so I gave him some pointers on how to do them.

THEN HE GAVE ME A POINTER - he picks up my rod, sights down it and then says,
"you've got a couple guides which aren't straight."

So I looked at it and ...well I could not see them.

You've got to love how kids are honest and direct and just say it the way they see it.
He's obviously got better eyes than me at my age, so I thanked him for his comments..
Too bad I had already epoxied it or I would have had him straighten them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kids are honest and direct
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 11, 2011 11:04AM

And as we get older we loose that charm Darn shame

Bill - willierods.com

Re: Kids are honest and direct
Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2011 06:44PM

Last fall I took one of my nephews out fly fishing for the first time. He is 11 and my father had been taking him spin fishing a bunch of times over the summer. On the way over to the river Shaun told me that Papa had taken him out a bunch of times with no fish caught. I assured him that we would catch at least one, maybe a couple. Anyway, the kid went on to get 7 bows, not to shabby for his first time. We stopped at Papa's on the way back, and he was quick to ask Shaun how we did, Shaun went on to say that he had caught 7 all on his own. My father asked how Uncle Billy had done, and he went on to say, well he only got 2 or 3, but he spent most of his time helping me, so he probably would have caught more if he wasn't helping me out. Then Shaun said, I'll tell you what Papa, that Uncle Billy sure knows how to catch fish. It took a second or two for my father to realize that the kid had just zinged him, but you could see the blood rise into his head. Shaun had no idea that he had just poured salt onto an open wound. Priceless!
About a week later, I had my other nephew out who is 10. Same situation, kid got into a half a dozen bows, and when we stopped by Papa's, this nephew said almost the same damn thing to Papa. I think with the second episode Papa thought I put the kids up to it, but I didn't.
I told Papa, he needed to find some water with fish in it if the nephews were going to keep fishing with him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster