I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MHX MB843 guide layout
Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mw.usar.army.mil)
Date: April 11, 2011 09:51AM

So I did a static test last night and here is what I came up with. I am not really a Bass guy and Micros are also outside of the norm for me so a second set of eyes (sort of) would be a help.

Can you guys take a quick look and let me know your thoughs? Sometimes I think I attemp to toss on too many micros in an attemp to keep the line of the blank all together.

I am using a #7 double foot the 4s up to a #4 TT

Spacing from the top is as follows:

3, 6, 9, 12, 15.5, 19.5, 24.25, 31, 38.25, 49 with the face of the reel at 72"

All guides on top.

Thanks

Eric

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MHX MB843 guide layout
Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2011 10:25AM

I recently did an MHX MB8843 here's my info:

(10) guides - tip, 3.5, 7, 10.5, 14.25, 18.25, 22.75, 27.75, 33.75, 40.75, 50"

#8 double foot, #7 df, then #5's to tip, #5 tip / 5.5 tube size. (Fuji Alconites)
Originally I had (9) guides but needed (1) more when tested.

This was my first micro build, it definitly outcasts my previous MB M/H builds.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: April 11, 2011 12:51PM

Does it matter if the line touches the blank? It seems like you would need a lot of guides to keep it from touching using micros. I have only built one bass rod, a MB843 (fly rod guy) with nine plus top and it does touch. I guess I should/could have used one more guide without much weight difference. The rod casts great anyway. Only fished it once and got skunked so I haven't set up on a fish yet.

Greg

Posted by: Todd Badgley (---.sub-75-223-14.myvzw.com)
Date: April 11, 2011 04:01PM

It doesn't matter if the line touches the blank. "Static Test" any factory rod - It's frightening!
If you're building with all on top and no flipping (considering an 843) why the extra sizes. I build all 4's to the tip.
If this is a worm or jig style rod, you should look into some kind of spiral wrap.

Email if you're interested in the spiral setup. tbadgley@hvac.mea.com

Todd

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 11, 2011 04:57PM

Line Touch From The Micro Past

Talk and Pictures

[rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2011 07:18PM

I added the (1) more guide to make (10) only because the line dipped below the blank when tested.
This was in the upper 1/4 of the blank - where it bends the most.
In a couple other spots the line touched the blank but didn't go below.

Most opinions I've read here say - line below the blank no good / touching the blank OK.
That's what I've been going with, otherwise with micros you'd need many more if you tried to get
the line not to touch touch the blank at all.

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: April 14, 2011 08:15AM

I would consider spiral wrapping it, I use 9 when spiral wrapping mine. I won't build a casting rod for myself without a spiral wrap, as I know others on here feel the same way.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mw.usar.army.mil)
Date: April 14, 2011 10:53AM

It is for my buddies son, he is very adament with a standard build.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster